Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Surge Guard 35550

I have a hard wired Surge Protector that just quit.
It has power going in but nothing coming out.
I have an additional Progressive Surge protector that I plug into the pedestal.
Yesterday morning before I got up, my electricity when off. Nothing was running but a small fan DW wants for noise. No coffee pot or power being pulled.
Checked the pedestal and according to the Progressive Surge protector readings, everything was fine.
Climbed into a very tough position over the bed and had a red light blinking (Surge, no protection when lit)
I just ordered a new one but was wondering if these just "go bad".
I am not an electrician but this seems pretty straight forward to replace as I won't have the gen or shore power on while trying to replace this unit.
Any knowledge on this subject will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my limited experience 20-40 yrs ago, (repairing TVs) the old surge protector discs would short and blow apart, but also blow a fuse mounted next to it; the surge protector may also be DIY repairable cheap, if you can Amazon the parts? Might be worth a disassembly inspection, for a backup, or (some) I read have LIFETIME WARRANTY?
Old 04-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
In my limited experience 20-40 yrs ago, (repairing TVs) the old surge protector discs would short and blow apart, but also blow a fuse mounted next to it; the surge protector may also be DIY repairable cheap, if you can Amazon the parts? Might be worth a disassembly inspection, for a backup, or (some) I read have LIFETIME WARRANTY?
I do not see a fuse mounted anywhere here.
I believe above the surge protector is my transfer switch?

Now if I'm not connected to shore power OR have my generator running, there shouldn't be any power to this.
Like I said, I am not an electrician but this seems pretty straight forward to change the surge protector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210331_165218_resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	323421  
Old 04-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #4

You should have power on the line side of your Surge Guard while plugged in to shore power, so unplug it before messing with it!!

I'm parked at my friends house in California. He has a 30amp 125 volt plug for me to plug into and I have my 50a to 30a adapter. Wife turned both AC units on and then the microwave and of course tripped the breaker! (forgot to tell her of our limitations) and that's where my problems began! Aside from getting weird incoming voltages, I felt my Surge Guard 34560 was bad! Called text support and wasn't a great deal of help and when I mentioned the keyed switch, he said "wow, how old is your coach?" I said it was a 2004! He said the life span on those units is around 10 years! after hanging up with him, I decided to take the unit out of the system completely, since I felt the bypass switch was not bypassing! Still having voltage issues! The voltage at the outlet I'm plugged into reads 125 volts, but the cable that tied to the line side of the Surge Guard is all over the place and I'm hearing a clicking noise somewhere so I'm thinking there is something between the cord cap and the cable coming up from below!
RJPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #5

Note the new ones have a lifetime warranty, now that they are owned by Southwire
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #6

Just as a point of information. I was having troubles with what I thought was the surge protector, and was about ready to order a new one, when I decided to replace the 30/50 amp adapter. Problem resolved. One would need a mega-meter to verify the adapter is faulty, but no problems for 6 months yet.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #7

The Surgeguard brand can definitely go bad, mine did years ago. Replaced it with a Progressive. Phenomenally better piece of equipment.

Tags
surge guard