Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #1

Surge Protector

On my '01 Intrigue, I have the factory installed surge protector, but I have gotten in the habit of using a second protector at the pedestal also. Well on my last outing the in line unit failed (would kick out every 2 to 3 minutes). It was a dinosaur that came with the RV when purchased so it time for an upgrade.

Is this the unit I want? Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X

You guys never steer me wrong.

Second question: It has a locking tab, how do you secure it? Pad lock and chain? It's kinda spendy, don't want it to walk off when we're not around.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It might be. You have a lot of options. Do you just want surge protection? Or do you want power monitoring? Bluetooth? There's not much of a need to have two units. Have you thought about just getting rid of the built in unit?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #3

This would probably be the drop in replacement for the unit going out:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

(Though on our 04 Allure, CC had it set up with a Female plug on the Shore Power side, and then for then the Male plug of a TRC EMS would plug into that, and then female would have a Plugged in line going over to feed the ATS. This allowed us to unplug and bypass the TRC EMS if needed. And in our case, we had also added a Hughes Autoformer in between the Shore Power and the EMS.)

Another option if you have the room, would be to replace the bad EMS with a Hughes Autoformer with EMS built into it. Hughes added the EMS as a standalone module, that can be replaced if it ever takes one for the team and is fried. A great improvement from the older Autoformer's, as you don't lose the full unit from say a surge spike.

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/

And if you already have a pedestal EMS, another way you could use this (And what I'm doing, as I have a older Progressive EMS Shore Power Unit.), is to use it to go check the shore power if all checks out, then just plug in the Shore Power Male plug, and let the In Coach unit do the protection. (That way the Shore Power EMS unit you have, will not have a chance of walking off on you.)

The Hughes unit is more expensive, but it can really make a difference on useable power by the 'boost' in parks where marginal power is available. With our Allure, we often were able to have both AC's up and running, while others nearby us were struggling to keep one, or in a few parks, no AC's, running.

If you go with the unit you linked, a good unit, other then always being a the Shore Power. Other's I've seen who leaves them plugged into the loop, use a steel cable, fed thru that tab you noted, then wrapped a few times tightly around the pedestal, and then pad or combination locked.

See Lots of options on spending your money!

Good luck, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator

I have been using the OE in the corner of the bedroom so far so good. At one time, it failed that it won't pass 50a through. I took it out and found out a screw inside the box loosened. Screwed it back/Epoxied and the thing has been working like a champ, to this day.

I'd say, one is enough, no need to double up.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
This would probably be the drop in replacement for the unit going out:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

(Though on our 04 Allure, CC had it set up with a Female plug on the Shore Power side, and then for then the Male plug of a TRC EMS would plug into that, and then female would have a Plugged in line going over to feed the ATS. This allowed us to unplug and bypass the TRC EMS if needed. And in our case, we had also added a Hughes Autoformer in between the Shore Power and the EMS.)

Another option if you have the room, would be to replace the bad EMS with a Hughes Autoformer with EMS built into it. Hughes added the EMS as a standalone module, that can be replaced if it ever takes one for the team and is fried. A great improvement from the older Autoformer's, as you don't lose the full unit from say a surge spike.

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/

And if you already have a pedestal EMS, another way you could use this (And what I'm doing, as I have a older Progressive EMS Shore Power Unit.), is to use it to go check the shore power if all checks out, then just plug in the Shore Power Male plug, and let the In Coach unit do the protection. (That way the Shore Power EMS unit you have, will not have a chance of walking off on you.)

The Hughes unit is more expensive, but it can really make a difference on useable power by the 'boost' in parks where marginal power is available. With our Allure, we often were able to have both AC's up and running, while others nearby us were struggling to keep one, or in a few parks, no AC's, running.

If you go with the unit you linked, a good unit, other then always being a the Shore Power. Other's I've seen who leaves them plugged into the loop, use a steel cable, fed thru that tab you noted, then wrapped a few times tightly around the pedestal, and then pad or combination locked.

See Lots of options on spending your money!

Good luck, have fun,
Smitty
Let me make sure I follow you. You check pedestal with Hughes unit before you hook up and if every thing looks good, you put it away and just hook up shore power as normal. How do you know if you need the Boost feature?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
Let me make sure I follow you. You check pedestal with Hughes unit before you hook up and if every thing looks good, you put it away and just hook up shore power as normal. How do you know if you need the Boost feature?
Nope. I did not do a good job! Sorry! I blurred Previous with Current coach!

I have a stand alone older Progressive Shore Power unit, a generation (Maybe two!) behind the one linked as being looked at.

I use that to validate the 'current point in time' Shore Power is good to go. Then put it away in my basement bay, and plug in shore power.

And what I was described was our Allure, with the older Hughes Autoformer being permanently in the loop.

On our Magna. I do the same Shore Power check at the Pedestal with the Progressive unit. And if all is good, also plug in the power cord from the coach.

I do have the mentioned newer Hughes Autoformer with EMS 'Module' built in. I've been using it at the Power Pole, IF needed. But, it will be installed permanently inside the coach within the next few weeks. (Shore Power > Hughes with EMS > Combo EMS/ATS all in one unit that is OEM in our era Magna. These will all be vial Male/Female plugs, with enough slack in the cables in the electronics bay - to 'bypass' the Hughes - IF it were able to take a 'hit' and have it's EMS Module blown. (I've not yet ordered, but will, a spare EMS module to carry for the Hughes. But want to make sure if ever required to do so, I can readily bypass the Hughes Autoformer, and plug the OEM EMS/ATS directly into the Female end of the Shore Power cord.

----

And I do know what I'm trying to say! Sorry if it's not clear... When the Hughes is installed, I'll get some pictures, and post a follow-up!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Nope. I did not do a good job! Sorry! I blurred Previous with Current coach!

I have a stand alone older Progressive Shore Power unit, a generation (Maybe two!) behind the one linked as being looked at.

I use that to validate the 'current point in time' Shore Power is good to go. Then put it away in my basement bay, and plug in shore power.

And what I was described was our Allure, with the older Hughes Autoformer being permanently in the loop.

On our Magna. I do the same Shore Power check at the Pedestal with the Progressive unit. And if all is good, also plug in the power cord from the coach.

I do have the mentioned newer Hughes Autoformer with EMS 'Module' built in. I've been using it at the Power Pole, IF needed. But, it will be installed permanently inside the coach within the next few weeks. (Shore Power > Hughes with EMS > Combo EMS/ATS all in one unit that is OEM in our era Magna. These will all be vial Male/Female plugs, with enough slack in the cables in the electronics bay - to 'bypass' the Hughes - IF it were able to take a 'hit' and have it's EMS Module blown. (I've not yet ordered, but will, a spare EMS module to carry for the Hughes. But want to make sure if ever required to do so, I can readily bypass the Hughes Autoformer, and plug the OEM EMS/ATS directly into the Female end of the Shore Power cord.

----

And I do know what I'm trying to say! Sorry if it's not clear... When the Hughes is installed, I'll get some pictures, and post a follow-up!

Best,
Smitty
I am going to take a look at the built in unit in my Coach and see what brand it is, seems to work fine. A friend suggested using two protectors after he took a hit to his Coach (A Coachman I believe) and it took out his inverter. He also had on board surge protector, but it did not do the job.

My older unit had been working fine until our last trip when it started acting up. Once I took it out of the loop, I had no more issues.