Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Surgeguard

I have a 2000 intrigue and I just read a post from granddad5 stating Surgeguard stated they are only good for about 10 years.

Any recommendations on a replacement or should I just wait To see if I can get another 20 years out of it :-). I certainly do not want to risk Having an electrical problem. It’s saved my butt once when the lightning bolt hit a transformer at a campground so it doesn’t Owe me anything now.
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

From their website, "The surge protection does not usually fail unless there is a direct lightning strike. If this happens, there would likely be other obvious damage; otherwise, the surge protection should last indefinitely."
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

Surge Guard had no effect on whether or not that lightning strike caused damage to your RV Electronics
Not what it is designed for...nor can it take the Million+ Voltage from lightning strike
IF the lightning strike had cause High Voltage Spike the Surge Guard would have been sacrificed
**The transformer that was struck took the hit,,,not your Surge Guard

Also never have seen/read anything about Years.....

Per TRC (Surge Guard--Southwind)
[I]How do I know my surge protection still works?
The surge protection does not usually fail unless there is a direct lightning strike.
If this happens, there would likely be other obvious damage; otherwise, the surge protection should last indefinitely.[/I]

I am not a fan of Surge Guard
Units are not serviceable
When damaged they are throw-aways
Limited Warranty

I WAS a fan of Progressive Industries Surge Protectors
Field Serviceable
Life Time Warranty......which got changed to Limited Lifetime a few years ago
***Fortunately I haven't ever had a warranty issue with my PI Unit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

As far as I know I have no problems with my Surgeguard other than it is 20 years old. I read on this forum that Surgeguard said they have a lifespan of about 10 years. When I talked to Surgeguard a year or two ago they said mine was past its expected lifespan.

I just assumed the lightning strike to the transformer in the campground would have harmed my coach and it was protected by my surge protector. Certainly makes sense a direct hit would not be protected by any surge protector.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Never heard of the years. Have you ever seen or heard of anyone having replaced the circuit breakers on his/her home electric panel because of their age? There are two standard size Square D breakers and a sensing board in it. If the Square D breakers can last as long as they work on a home panel, what makes it expire in 10 years on an RV?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

Thanks. You guys just save me a few hundred bucks.

One of Surge Guards technical guys is the one who said mine was way past its life expectancy and that was a couple years ago. Also reading an entry from granddad5 where Surgeguard told him something similar though I forget the exact words but I think it was 10 years.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post

One of Surge Guards technical guys is the one who said mine was way past its life expectancy and that was a couple years ago. Also reading an entry from granddad5 where Surgeguard told him something similar though I forget the exact words but I think it was 10 years.
'retiredbut working' and I posted the info directly from Surge Guards FAQ
otherwise, the surge protection should last indefinitely."

If it ain't broke don't fix it LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
When they say "life expectancy of 10 years" IMHO it is the minimum service life they expect not the maximum. How they would test for this is a completely different question. I would suspect it is nothing more than we build good stuff but we don't want to say it will last forever and we can't predict the environment or abuse it may go through.
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #9

i recently bought and installed a new surge guard . having issues where it wont allow voltage to pass through on shore power, only on generator. have sent several emails and cannot get any help or anything from the customer service . im going to try and return it to camping world and go with another brand. Surge guard has no customer service.
Spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

Maybe an installation problem?

I'll have to check to see if my generator is even in the loop as I thought the Surge protection was for shore power.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #11

thanks . turns out model 35550 can only have one source. had a mobil guy install so not sure how originally wired .
Spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
Community Moderator

On my 2000 Intrigue, both shore power and genset power go through surge guard (via ATS).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #13

I would think you could just buy a new integrated ATS with surgeguard, install it and be done with the problem in about an hour (according to YT vids)

Good luck!

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegully View Post

Yes, they told me 10 years but if you are not having issues, I wouldn't replace it.
If I did replace it, I would purchase a Progressive product.