Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Tag Thumping when leveling

I recall seeing a post about someone getting some thumping from the tag when leveling. (can't find it now)
Mine was doing the same thing from time to time it would thump so hard it shook the coach. So were set up on a sight that's low in the rear so I have the drive wheels up on a 2x10 each and the tags up on 2x10 and a 1x10. I watched as it leveled and the tag moves up to 4 inches back and forth (It pivots up near the drive axel and with the break on it just drags it back and forth, I have noticed it would dig in the gravel in the past), And one night after it was cold enough to freeze the boards together and the system was leveling it thumped like we were hit by a truck! Next morning I raised the tag and applied a liberal coat of grease between the 2x10 and the 1x10, And have not herd a sound in 14 days now. I think I will be getting a set of 3/4" plywood made up to grease between all the time.
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have never noticed anything like this on my tag. I have owned it since March 2013 and have never noticed anything like you describe. I wonder if you should be getting a mechanic to look at the tag???
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsbarkin View Post
I recall seeing a post about someone getting some thumping from the tag when leveling. (can't find it now)
Mine was doing the same thing from time to time it would thump so hard it shook the coach. So were set up on a sight that's low in the rear so I have the drive wheels up on a 2x10 each and the tags up on 2x10 and a 1x10. I watched as it leveled and the tag moves up to 4 inches back and forth (It pivots up near the drive axel and with the break on it just drags it back and forth, I have noticed it would dig in the gravel in the past), And one night after it was cold enough to freeze the boards together and the system was leveling it thumped like we were hit by a truck! Next morning I raised the tag and applied a liberal coat of grease between the 2x10 and the 1x10, And have not herd a sound in 14 days now. I think I will be getting a set of 3/4" plywood made up to grease between all the time.
My Allure does the same, it would leave tire skid marks on the concrete, the tag actually had to drag the tire several inches, according to how much it had to level, or when using the raise dump feature.
I now keep the tag raised until level and then drop the tag, so far that seems to help with the clunks and jerks.
Happy travels!
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
laj

agree with Medico. something just isn't right. would have it looked at before it creates a bigger issue.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Mine's doing the same thing. I agree, I need to get it checked out. What kind of a shop is recommended for this type of work? An alignment shop? Freightliner/Spartan?
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
Mine's doing the same thing. I agree, I need to get it checked out. What kind of a shop is recommended for this type of work? An alignment shop? Freightliner/Spartan?
There are some bolts 6 I think on each side that can work loose, you can visually inspect these bolts by looking between the wheels, up on the chassis to make sure they are not loose or broken. I think the noise or jerking is a design problem, when on a solid surface, the tag raises and lowers in a radius, when brakes are applied, the only method of leveling, the tag tire cannot roll, therefore when moving up or down, leveling,raising,or lowering, the tag tire must skid itself on what ever surface you are sitting on, gravel and dirt does not have as much resistance as concrete or asphault.
Take a good look at your tag tires for unusal wear. It is a good idea to get into the habit of raising the tag when manuerving around in tight places..leave the tag up until you level, then drop the tag, seems to work better for me.. happy travels
Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #7

So to be clear do you action the level button whilst the tag is still lifted and then lower it after confirmation of level?
If so this is contrary to the manual, however do you find that the coach is still level after dropping the tag?
Michael
2008 Allure
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
laj

what I do is if I have raised the tag to get into the site I make sure my susp. isn't in a bind, if it is i release that, then drop the tag , if there is over a certain amount of slop I drop the air then level from there. if not then once the tag is down i just level. has always worked well for me.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
So to be clear do you action the level button whilst the tag is still lifted and then lower it after confirmation of level?
If so this is contrary to the manual, however do you find that the coach is still level after dropping the tag?
Michael
2008 Allure
I do level with the tag up, then drop the tag, usually it does not change the level, if it does then I adjust the level manually.
I might add, I have been on good sites, fairly level tto begin with, I might add that on dirt or gravel l just level with the tag down.
Not sure about what the manual says, but I had a garage at home, with concrete floor and did my own service work and the tire mark on the floor was evidence of how the tag had to slide on the concrete, especially when completely raising and lowering the coach.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Well its been 15 days now and my fix is working great ( Not a sound other than the compressor running from time to time)
I have been under this thing many times and there is nothing loose or out of whack its just the tag moving as it rises and lowers. Thanks for the input but I'm happy with my fix and will be keeping the greased boards under the tags.
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling