Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #29

For us it's just a toy if we use we use it if we don't we don't.
It doesn't cost much to own and if it's worth nothing when I'm done with it I'm out under 50k
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

If you are worried about the economics of rv ownership, you probably should not buy one
If people did as you suggest, then the number of people buying them would drop (pick a number that's fairly high) percent; meaning that your coach would fetch much less when you or your heirs sell it.

Worse, manufacturers would dry up. R&M shops would increase their shop rates to account for less business. Parts would increase in cost.

Whether you're cash-rich or not, don't mess with a business that has DREAM as a core concept. The unintended consequences are right in front of you.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #31

It sounds like you're frustrated in your search for a nice, used Country Coach.

What are you looking for?
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander1 View Post
It sounds like you're frustrated in your search for a nice, used Country Coach.

What are you looking for?
A nice, well maintained coach. Not someone’s neglected “beater”. Too much to ask?
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BK View Post
Posted interest in buying a used CC earlier. After talking with various dealers over the last 4 months, I have surmised the following as it relates to used motor homes.

Let’s say you buy an expensive RV...say you finance $200k for 20 years, you might pay about $14,000 a year or about that. Not willing to argue interest, Symantec’s, etc. with anyone...this is not my intent.

So, now you want to sell your baby, for whatever reason. So let’s say your pay off is $100k, but same year/models are selling for around $70k. Well now you are experiencing the well known depreciation in all motor homes. So what do you do? If you can’t come up with the $30k difference, you hold and continue to make payments while further depreciation accumulates, including storage, maintenance, insurance costs, etc. Further compounding the sell ability of the unit. That’s why I shy away from underused motorhomes. Sitting, IMHO is worse than using.

You thoughts?
Given what you already know, you should build up by saving money over time to cover the difference between loan balance and RV sales value you know is coming down the road, if you only make minimum monthly payments.

Since the RV loan interest is not tax deductible anymore (for almost all of us), I would pay down the loan faster or perhaps even pay it off and get rid of the interest expense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
A nice, well maintained coach. Not someone’s neglected “beater”. Too much to ask?
Not too much to expect, but you should anticipate a long and involved effort on your part. The really good ones sell fairly quickly and at a premium dollar normally.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Sometimes they are hard to find. We're in Texas, which along with California and Florida, traditionally have the most motor homes for sale and it took over a year to find what we wanted in good condition. I bet we walked into thirty units that took us less than 30 seconds to decide we didn't want it.

We got beat out a couple times by mere minutes. We were on the way to look at one motor home (a three hour drive) and got a call that it had been purchased while we were less than an hour away. I think we ended up purchasing our motor home out from under someone else because we acted quicker when we found the one we wanted.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #36

Quote:
I challenge all of you out there to tell me this is not an astute person. Enough said.
I have not problem on ksg5000's input.

I did do a few things different, but it was a different time economy wise.

We pulled up our retirement rig purchase by about 3 years. The 2007/8 economy drop, had many people in our region (Southern California) needing to get out from under RV's, Boats, Big Trucks, Second Homes, Etc. As many of you know, this caused a swamp of these items on the market. It was for sure, a Buyer's time. We kept the same budget range we'd plan on spending, and got a better coach then we'd expected. What was bad for some, was good for us - because we had lived within our means, and had already planned or the financial cost of buying a retirement rig. We just needed to execute, and took 11-13 months to find a rig that we felt met out needs, and at a price we were willing to pay. (About 6 years old at the time we purchased, not the suggested 10 years of age - but again, a different financial time then now.

I also did not want to pay all cash, as Mr D pointed out, our ROI was higher then the costs of interest to finance. We put 50% down, and I kept the other 50% in our investments. The power of Schedule A assistance on the already low interest rates, as our 2nd Home. The 50% I had in investments, more then tripled the rate of return that we were paying in interest. And while to as much as in previous years, we were paying back in inflation adjusted dollars. I elected to do a 15 year loan, as at that time it provided a better rate of interest.

We're now retired. So different sources of revenue has changed our taxes, so we elected to pay down the loan a bit faster. We'll have it paid of in 10 years at this pace.

To me, that is smart management - almost a leveraging of our money. Using Others People Money has more then paid off for us, this time around.

BUT! Everyone must do what they feel comfortable doing. Many people, my wife too - but she trusts me to mange our finances - do not like being in debt. They'd prefer to pay cash for major purchases, as it helps them sleep at night. My MIL, finally let me help review her financial situation. She was sitting on $250K + in a Bank of America Savings Account, earning peanuts in interest. She was terrified of doing anything wit these funds. It took me, and her Son, another full year. (We did a pretend investment of $200k, and leaving $50K in her savings (She did have other funds, so this was not her full assets.). At the end of a 'pretend year' of investing her funds (Very low risks, with a mix of DRIPS, and Mutual Funds.) - we sat down and showed her what her return would have been - about 8.25%. We then had her look at her year ed statement form BOA, and her total return at that time, came out to just a bit over .8%.) So she now has allowed us to invest this hunk of funds for her.

But both her Son, my wife and I all understood why she had not gone into investing those funds. She was scared of losing it. She was afraid she'd not sleep. And that is why, IMO, everyone and every couple - must do what they feel is right for them. I think we all know people that could pay cash for a niche high end RV - but will not do so, because of their personal choice of lifestyle. I know one gent from, who has several large apartment complexes, and he paid cash for a used Bounder. Which he really enjoys. He could go buy say a Cornerstone or Realm or Marathon, etc. today - with cash. But one of the key reasons he could afford to do this, is because of his choice of lifestyle. He's just not into that. (Well, except for fishing. He has more money in fishing poles and reels, then I do in Scotch!!!).

Like I suspect many here on this CC Owner's section of the board. My wife and I could go out and pay cash for the Realm I keep teasing her about. But you know, we like out coach. We like what we've done to our coach. We use it about 7-8 months of the year. With the rest of the time it's Emergency Disaster Support vehicle! So we do what we want to do. Keep it maintained well, make modifications that we want along the way. And use it, and love it. And, we're entitled to do what we want.

No right or wrong here, just choices. And everyone can make their own. I do like the info sharing here, as many are not financially aware of how to leverage money. So the info shared in threads like this, could help some one, or couple - approach the purchase of an RV in a different way then they normally would. That is what the power of friendly Boards, with wide range of members, like IRV2 is - is all about. Everyone info sharing, and helping.

My advice has always been:

>Pick a budget range
>Include a line item for Baseline Maintenance catchup, and minor modifications, to make it your coach
>Create a list of Must Have's, and Nice to Have's. Based upon what both of you like after looking over many, many coaches. (Interior layout, number of slides, tag vs non tag, gas vs diesel, side radiator vs rear, hydro/aqua hot vs water heater, number of AC's, size of engine, size of tanks, air leveling vs leg leveling (or both), color choices, CCC, length, age, etc., etc.
>Based upon that list, come up with a short list of Manufacturers, Models and years. Then go shopping.
>IMO, drop years to remain within budget - and buy the highest quality coach that you can.
(Again IMO, a 5-8 year old higher quality coach, after another 5-10 years of usage. Will be in better overall condition, then say a 1-2 year old RV at the same price point. Quality lasts. And higher end coaches, usually come with superior chassis and better build and better components and better materials - and those all become a good foundation to move on down the road with a grin on your race, for 5-10 years of usage.)

But again. The person writing the check decide what is important to them. I do know people that prefer to buy lower quality coaches new, to stay within budget range - because they do not want a used coach. And for sure, that is their right to do!

Rambling's by Smitty over, again, for now!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #37

Quote:

Yes it’s to much to ask for a CC
Maybe look at some Alfa coach’s
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger50 View Post
Since I did not want to be strapped with a 20 yr loan with a large monthly payment and fast depreciation, I bought a class c 2012 with 45,000 miles, well kept as it was very clean and well maintained. I got the dealer to add a solar system with a tv satellite, along with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty including road assistance for a 14 year loan at 650/month. I am happy with the floor plan and the fact that I can manœuvre this four winds23u practically everywhere. Depreciation is not a concern at this point. The importance is the enjoyment we get out of our MH.
Tiger, unless you've mixed up quite a few of these numbers, you got raked over the coals!
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our first RV View Post
Tiger, unless you've mixed up quite a few of these numbers, you got raked over the coals!
...X2
Old 10-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
deleted
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Wow, the payments on that class C equal $109,000 in total?
Plus a down payment I'm sure
Old 10-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #42

Quote:
CC was one of the short list when we were looking, and I can't wrap my mind around your observation that more than a few CCs were beaters unless your target coach is 20+ years old and is on its 4th owner or something.

CCs that we looked at from CL to dealers were around 12-15 years old and most were very clean. Many had been stored indoors. I don't think that people that buy something that's $300,000+ are stupid about their possessions, and if circumstances change that makes them need to get out of the coach's financing, they just do it.

Letting something sit out in the cornfield is what nice coach owner do, IMO.