Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

(If any of you hear any yelling from the Pacific Northwest, from what sounds like a beautiful lady - please do not be concerned. I'll be bringing up this topic again, but will strategically wait until she's had a half glass of vino first!!!)

Smitty
You might want to wait till after the first full glass!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
(If any of you hear any yelling from the Pacific Northwest, from what sounds like a beautiful lady - please do not be concerned. I'll be bringing up this topic again, but will strategically wait until she's had a half glass of vino first!!!)

Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You might want to wait till after the first full glass!
Silver Oak was spotted recently at Trader Joe's in Silverdale, WA. for $65. With the money you could save, the Active Air would be within reach in no time.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Silver Oak was spotted recently at Trader Joe's in Silverdale, WA. for $65. With the money you could save, the Active Air would be within reach in no time.
CoCoDave & Mr D - Appreciate the input on how to approach the DW!

2-Nickles - Sorry I went on in your thread about my ongoing internal battles with when to stop putting money into this specific coach. (A cycle I seem to repeat, at least two times a year! If it had not been for a foul up with the Lotto gang, we'd have bought a new rig for each coast, kept this rig for our family to enjoy, possibly a few cases of the mentioned Silver Oak. And sure, helped the charities that we support too. But dang it, really miffed us - that they drew the wrong numbers!!!

Looking forward to more updates on your Active Air, and next year Mr D's too.

Best to all,
Smitty

Now Dear, let me show you the math on why selling our coach, and buying...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #18

So what is the cost for adding the active air system to a 40' coach with tag?

We haven't had our coach for that long but I feel it has pretty good handling compared to our old gas coach. Not as nimble in the curves but more stable in the wind. Mine is still pure stock so if there are mods I can make short of the AA I'd love to hear of them.

My driving habits are faster than typical, freeway speed is 68-70 and 2 lanes are 60-65 unless I'm in the curvy bits.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddan View Post
So what is the cost for adding the active air system to a 40' coach with tag?

We haven't had our coach for that long but I feel it has pretty good handling compared to our old gas coach. Not as nimble in the curves but more stable in the wind. Mine is still pure stock so if there are mods I can make short of the AA I'd love to hear of them.

My driving habits are faster than typical, freeway speed is 68-70 and 2 lanes are 60-65 unless I'm in the curvy bits.

The Active Air upgrade is a $10.5K upgrade, not cheap (in most folks minds) however, it is an improvement in both the handling and safety. I would believe it is the biggest improvement you can make to an existing coach.

Ahead of putting AA in many folks upgrade shocks to either Koni (99’s are the model I believe) or Road King (which is what mine had when I bought it) and some add the Source one way valves to change the backward rate of air flow out of the air bags. I had done this on my front bags (I was told by the folks at Source Engineering that since I had a Tag there was no need for the valves in the rear) and it improved the bounce a bit was was perhaps just not enough.

The other ride handling improvement which is very easy is to weigh your coach and set the air pressures in each wheel correctly.

This is all I am familiar with on how to make changes to handling. Others may have additional experience.

Cheers, 2-Nickels
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #20

2-Nickles - I think you nailed it as far as what other's (I'm one!) have done towards the incremental improvement of handling. (I'll add a few have changed out rubber bushings and grommets with poly material. But, that can also add to increased road harness transfer too.).

One follow-up question I have about how Active Air is performing for you, is in relation to a problem that really bothers my DW.

When we're going around curves, shifting weight from one side to the other, and the coaches naturally leans a bit toward the outside of the curves - the sensation of slight 'tipping' in the passenger seat, really unnerves her. (She knows, after a few hundred conversations, that the coach suspension just need to finish 'setting' or 'finding it's leg's' in this new direction. But nonetheless, it prompts the largest volume of conversation as far as 'constructive input' towards the drive, then anything else. (Usually the first hour or so, especially if we've not been traveling for awhile. Say in a park for a 3-5 weeks, then heading back out. She may know intellectually that 'It's OK'. But, she can not stop herself from being unsettled and frighten by the sensation of the coach leaning towards the outside edge of a curve (Naturally more so, if it's the passenger side that we're leaning!...

So, my question. Does the AA react fast enough too reduce this 'shift' of the seat feel as you go thru curves. (Our combo of Road King's, Source Engineering Comfort (Check) Valves, and yes - proper air pressure for our Four Corner weights has reduced this quiet a bit. But still, she feels it...) Does the AA improve on this sensation more then the already upgraded suspension components?

(And note: I do realize that different 'Air Suspension's' have different sizes, number and location of Air Bags. So the handling of my Allure, even at a lighter weight point, may not be the same as say an Magna, or Affinity or a 10 Bagger Roadmaster in a Monaco Executive or Signature, etc. coach.)

(Note2: I suspect the success of a AA install, is incrementally improved with a Air Suspension system with more robust air bags involved... (?)...)

Hope I got across what I'm asking. Or I may have to ask the DW to travel in the Toad, to avoid the leaning. But I suspect via phone call, she'd really then become a 'further back, back seat driver'!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #21

Hi Smitty,

The initial reason I entertained an AA install was to reduce what I called “the kneeling affect” as I would go around long sweeping corners. The AA did remove most of this and makes the coach no longer feel like it’s rolling. My DW also tells me the feel midship while driving is much better (never been midship while rolling as I am the only driver).

HWH did explain to me the more bags and the further out on the frame they are the easier it is to control body roll. This shared we work with what we have and factory deliver air bags are really only there for cushioning until something like AA is added.

Let me know if if you have any questions?

Cheers
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, install