Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #1

Thetford Tecma Problems

We have a 37ft Allure 470 and the Thetford Tecma toilet thinks that the black tank is full at all times. Not sure if the full tank sensor has fallen off the black tank or the control board is going bad. Has anyone had this problem with their Tecma and what was the fix?
Thanks
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 AM   #2

IS tank FULL?

There are only 2 sensors on tank....
1 for HIGH (RED) and 1 for MID (YELLOW)
Both are sticky taped to outside of tank and are replaceable (Sensor with 3' lead)

Odds are bad sensor vs control box unless other functions are not working

You can manually override HIGH level by holding any flush button for 6 seconds

System layout pg. 5&6
http://thetford.com/wp-content/uploa...lence-Plus.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you replace the red sensor, try pouring a gallon of white vinegar in the empty tank and drive the coach. When we've had a similar issue with the yellow light on an empty tank, someone suggested the vinegar and it was the only thing that worked. Apparently any goo that might stick on the tank wall near the sensor will cause that.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

Thank You for the replies. The only other symptom is that it does not fill up to the correct height in the bowl after we flush it. I will try the vinegar first before I start pulling coach apart trying to find the sensors on the black tank. Did you only add 1 gallon of vinegar to an empty tank, or did you add water also?
Thank You
Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Thetford recommended water height is 1/2 inch above water outfall (exit hole..).

I adjusted mine following recommended programming procedure on page 1 of the above attached manual link:
Press both buttons simultaneously and hold. LED’s will flash indicating you’re in program mode. As water enters bowl, release fingers from buttons to set the level of standing water in the bowl. The level you set remains constant after each flush until you change. The minimum recommended level is 1/2” above the bowl out- fall.

As well someone also posted recently the height of the outlet anti-siphon hose (in back of toilet) was too low and it siphoned out water over time.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Thetford recommended water height is 1/2 inch above water outfall (exit hole..).

I adjusted mine following recommended programming procedure on page 1 of the above attached manual link:
Press both buttons simultaneously and hold. LED’s will flash indicating you’re in program mode. As water enters bowl, release fingers from buttons to set the level of standing water in the bowl. The level you set remains constant after each flush until you change. The minimum recommended level is 1/2” above the bowl out- fall.

As well someone also posted recently the height of the outlet anti-siphon hose (in back of toilet) was too low and it siphoned out water over time.

Hope this helps,
Brian

After changing water source (city water to pump or vs ) you may have to reset water level again

Old 02-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply Brian. I have tried to adjust the height of the water level just as the instructions have indicated, but the water flow stops before reaching the correct level. I have tried many times to adjust the water height, the water flow always stops before reaching the correct level.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
SloPoke, I used only the gallon of white vinegar but we did also use the toilet as normal after a while. I have a similar problem with my Tecma. I can adjust the water level by pressing the two buttons but it always eventually drops to about 1/2" below the top of the bowl outlet. I know the fix is to adjust the height of the discharge hose at the back but just have never gotten around to doing that chore.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
SloPke:
Had the same problem with our Tecma. After repeated tank cleaning and no improvement, I removed the wet bay cover and sure enough, the full sensor pad had fallen off the tank. I replaced it with a little silicone at the edges of the pad and some Gorilla Tapeto hold it while the silicone cured . No problems since then.
Good luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IS tank FULL?

There are only 2 sensors on tank....
1 for HIGH (RED) and 1 for MID (YELLOW)
Both are sticky taped to outside of tank and are replaceable (Sensor with 3' lead)

Odds are bad sensor vs control box unless other functions are not working

You can manually override HIGH level by holding any flush button for 6 seconds

System layout pg. 5&6
http://thetford.com/wp-content/uploa...lence-Plus.pdf
When the tank is empty - the light is green on ours... then yellow, then red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456851465735.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	120231  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
When the tank is empty - the light is green on ours... then yellow, then red.

Three colors (Green----any level below mid tank, Yellow----level at/above mid level & Red......highest level )

But only 2 sensors used....Yellow and Red. If neither are triggered than Green light is ON
Old 03-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have dumped the black tank and added 1 gallon of white vinegar to it. Yesterday was a travel day, as well as the next 6 days (from CA to San Antonio TX). Will keep you posted.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

smlranger, the 1 gal of white vinegar trick worked. I guess it was some residue stuck to the side of the black tank that was causing the problem. Thank You.

Now, this anti-siphon hose, how do I get to it to push it back up so I can get the water level to where it should be? I would be forever grateful for this information.

SloPoke
Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
smlranger, the 1 gal of white vinegar trick worked. I guess it was some residue stuck to the side of the black tank that was causing the problem. Thank You.

Now, this anti-siphon hose, how do I get to it to push it back up so I can get the water level to where it should be? I would be forever grateful for this information.

SloPoke
There is a wooden box behind my Tecma that is attached with two screws thru the top. Remove the screws and the box lifts out exposing the back of the toilet with all the connections. I looked at mine but was not able to move that discharge hose on the connection. I decided to leave it for now and address the issue at another time.

Tags
ecm, ems, ford, problems