Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Timer for water heater?

I have an 07 country coach with the hydro hot, elec and diesel, what I want to do is put a programmal timer on the electrical side, where the on/off switch is located. I haved searched Amazon and found several 12v timers, my question is, has anyone done this that can give me a few pointers, maybe recommend a specific device?
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

I gotta ask... why?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I gotta ask... why?
Well we winter in Fl out and away from mh most of the day and in bed most of the night so with the HH one can push the diesel button and have hot water instantally. But with a timer on the elec side one could program it to come on or off as needed, to conserve elec.,since we pay the bill,maybe extend the life of the element also. Hope this explains why!!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

While we are in Florida, we have it pretty much down to a science when it comes to heating water with propane. A five minute heating cycle is just the right amount of time needed to heat the tank the exact amount for taking a shower only using the hot water tap, without having to add cold water to the mix.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Maintaining the hot is not much different than starting from cold. I forget which one is better, but it is not by much.

It is built like a good thermos bottle!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Maintaining the hot is not much different than starting from cold. I forget which one is better, but it is not by much.

I don't know about the HH system, but the 12 gallon electric/propane heater in my rig is very poorly insulated and looses a lot of heat when it's in "standby". I leave it off when not in use, and flip it on when needed.

My morning ritual in cool weather is to get up, turn up the house heat and turn on the water heater for cooking and a shower, and fire up Mr. Coffee.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I don't know about the HH system, but the 12 gallon electric/propane heater in my rig is very poorly insulated and looses a lot of heat when it's in "standby". I leave it off when not in use, and flip it on when needed.

My morning ritual in cool weather is to get up, turn up the house heat and turn on the water heater for cooking and a shower, and fire up Mr. Coffee.
The HH has an electric element kinda like a SB house, but there is a switch to turn it on and off, I just thought it would be nice to have a timer that would perform that function so we would not forget to shut it off during the day or nite. I am sure there is such a timer available but thought someone may have already done the testing aspect, so I could go from A to B in a straight line.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

How about a trip to Goodwill to get a coffee pot with a timer?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How about a trip to Goodwill to get a coffee pot with a timer?
Didn't know they had those, is that where you found yours?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Didn't know they had those, is that where you found yours?
Nope. Just thinking you could wire the timer to the HWH switch. I think it would work, but where to put the little timer screen and buttons.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
so with the HH one can push the diesel button and have hot water instantally.
So if you are not needing the HH to heat the coach while you are away, just KEEP the 120v electric element off all the time.... No need for a timer.... When you come home and want hot water instantly, the diesel burner will fire up and provide unlimited on-demand hot water. The electric element is more beneficial if the electric is free (or unmetered ) and/ or you need to heat the coach and the outside temps are above 40-50 degrees.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

So if you are not needing the HH to heat the coach while you are away, just KEEP the 120v electric element off all the time.... No need for a timer.... When you come home and want hot water instantly, the diesel burner will fire up and provide unlimited on-demand hot water. The electric element is more beneficial if the electric is free (or unmetered ) and/ or you need to heat the coach and the outside temps are above 40-50 degrees.
Thanks for your comment, but that was not my question. I want to use the elec side of the HH and I would like to program it to fit my life style, and then I do not need to turn it on or off, you know like modern convince.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

For the application that you mention, a simple switchbox mounted mechanical timer should work well to replace your existing switch. They are available at home centers and online. If your current switch is a standard (home style) one, it will be a straight forward replacement. A little more involved if not.

They are available in different time intervals, and usually are rated for 1800 to 2500 watts. I used one to replace my engine heater toggle switch, so that I can't forget to turn it off.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
For the application that you mention, a simple switchbox mounted mechanical timer should work well to replace your existing switch. They are available at home centers and online. If your current switch is a standard (home style) one, it will be a straight forward replacement. A little more involved if not.

They are available in different time intervals, and usually are rated for 1800 to 2500 watts. I used one to replace my engine heater toggle switch, so that I can't forget to turn it off.
Yes, I was looking at one on Amazon that had 16 different settings in the program, I can see using 3 or4 for a day, it was a 16amp, not sure what amp rating I need, thought maybe someone had tried this already. Thanks