Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Tips for adjusting air ride

When my 36' is in travel mode its 1/2" low in the rear. I have crawled underneath and seen the solenoid's and the adjustment arm for the leveling.

I am curious how the adjustment works and if there are any tips from someone who has done it on their coach.

Thanks
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You don't set the ride height by looking at or measuring how it sits. There are specific points to measure between on the suspension and then you go by the specifications for that measurement.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

NEWAY AD-200 DRIVE AXLE SUSPENSION As used on some Allure and Intrigue models
Forward
10 13/16 inches nominal- Bottom of Frame Rail to Bottom of Air Spring Piston
Measured vertically adjacent to, and behind of, the air spring
Bottom of Frame Rail to Bottom of Air Spring Piston to average 10 13/16" between left and right side Each side to be more than 10 3/8" and less than 11 13/16" as necessary to adjust front suspension to level

I found these instructions online. This is the rear end in my coach. I have never adjusted one before and I didn't want to mess it up.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
NEWAY AD-200 DRIVE AXLE SUSPENSION As used on some Allure and Intrigue models
Forward
10 13/16 inches nominal- Bottom of Frame Rail to Bottom of Air Spring Piston
Measured vertically adjacent to, and behind of, the air spring
Bottom of Frame Rail to Bottom of Air Spring Piston to average 10 13/16" between left and right side Each side to be more than 10 3/8" and less than 11 13/16" as necessary to adjust front suspension to level

I found these instructions online. This is the rear end in my coach. I have never adjusted one before and I didn't want to mess it up.
That's the first time I've seen instructions that allow setting the ride height by anything but frame to axle measurement. Guess I better go look and see what ours says! I know our front is from top air bag mount to bottom as I downloaded the specs yesterday.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

I'm not sure which chassis you have but Gillig emailed the instructions right away when I asked for my CC Concept. I would think the best/safest info source would be your chassis manufacturer.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Mr_D,

Where did you download specs from?
2002 Country Coach 42' Affinity Bed and Breakfast #1643 (w/505 Cat C12), Allison 6 Speed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/Hemi
BarneyRubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
When my 36' is in travel mode its 1/2" low in the rear. I have crawled underneath and seen the solenoid's and the adjustment arm for the leveling.

I am curious how the adjustment works and if there are any tips from someone who has done it on their coach.

Thanks
John,

You didn't say what year and model you have but I think most of the CC's are the same but they may not be. Anyway, if you move the rod up the coach will raise and of course if you move the rod down it will lower. It's very important that the motor home is on a level and flat surface. If both sides need to go up the exact same amount then just move the rod up 1/2" and you should be good. If you only change one side it will effect the other side. If you have an IFS (Independent Front Suspension) it's very important that the front ride height is on the money. Sometimes the rear has to be off side to side to get the front correct left to right. Make sure you have the correct measurements and locations to measure.

I find it is much easier if you can connect and external air supply up front so you don't have to run the engine while doing this. Once you think you are done with the adjustments drop the entire coach and then let it come up to ride height. Give it a couple of minutes to settle then check the measurements again. If not right start over. It can take some time to get it right so don't try to rush it.

After you've done it a few times it becomes very easy.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRubble View Post
Mr_D,

Where did you download specs from?
Front axle is a Reyco-Granning IFS 2000S3. Just went to the Reyco-Granning website and found the info.
My owners manual says I have a Ridewell RADT-246 drive/tag axle
suspension. I tried the Ridewell site but nothing there. Left them a message on their Facebook page yesterday and they replied to call their support which I need to do yet today.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
John,

You didn't say what year and model you have but I think most of the CC's are the same but they may not be. Anyway, if you move the rod up the coach will raise and of course if you move the rod down it will lower. It's very important that the motor home is on a level and flat surface. If both sides need to go up the exact same amount then just move the rod up 1/2" and you should be good. If you only change one side it will effect the other side. If you have an IFS (Independent Front Suspension) it's very important that the front ride height is on the money. Sometimes the rear has to be off side to side to get the front correct left to right. Make sure you have the correct measurements and locations to measure.

I find it is much easier if you can connect and external air supply up front so you don't have to run the engine while doing this. Once you think you are done with the adjustments drop the entire coach and then let it come up to ride height. Give it a couple of minutes to settle then check the measurements again. If not right start over. It can take some time to get it right so don't try to rush it.

After you've done it a few times it becomes very easy.

Hope this helps,
This helps a lot. Great advice, I never thought about airing it upfront so I don't have to run the engine!

Thanks
Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Front axle is a Reyco-Granning IFS 2000S3. Just went to the Reyco-Granning website and found the info.
My owners manual says I have a Ridewell RADT-246 drive/tag axle
suspension. I tried the Ridewell site but nothing there. Left them a message on their Facebook page yesterday and they replied to call their support which I need to do yet today.
Mr. D, not sure if this helps, but here is what I found
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RideHeight-2.pdf (2.82 MB, 106 views)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mr. D, not sure if this helps, but here is what I found
Yep, that looks like what I need, and it DOES say there can be a ½" variation to get the rear level with the front as you said earlier and I argued against! It doesn't cover my front axle but I have that from the Reyco-Granning website.
John: Thanks for the download!