Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Tire chains on coach

Has anyone used chains on their rigs on snowy roads like up in Yosemite in the winter time. I have used chains on smaller rigs but not on a 40 footer and wonder how the coach handles under these conditions. Do you have any slipping of the front steer tires in the snowy and icy roads. Does the drive tires with the chains have enough grip on the road to stop the coach that weighs about 33,000 pounds?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach, Ca.
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Biggest concern for me would be clearance for the chains. Get them tight and keep them tight! Keep your speed down and get out and check the chains every 5 miles or less for the first 20-30 miles.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

I haven't tried chains on my coach, but I have used Auto sock and they work great! Easy to install and less risk like a chain that can cause damage if it breaks.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

posted speed limit in CA on roads during chain controls is generally 25 mph. You will be crawling!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

We have chains that came with the coach when we bought it. Heavy suckers! They've been in our garage since the day I brought the coach home.

We do our best to avoid traveling in snow conditions from a scheduling point of view. The few times we've been surprised on the road while traveling, we find a place to go hunker down until the roadways are safe to travel without chains. (For example, 2014 we cross the boarder into Alberta on our way to Alaska on 5/1. We were near Red Deer, AB a few days later, when we saw the truckers leaving the highway. So we pulled into a campground and spent 2-3 days exploring the Red Deer area in our AWD CRV (We have M&S Tires on it for this trip, and were fine driving in the local streets. And I say that as a person who grew up in San Diego, and does not know how to drive in snow and or ice conditions. Thus our preference to follow the leads of the truckers, and wait until later when needed to get moving again.

On chains. Check the Country Coach Yahoo User group forum. A former member (May still be, but I don't recall seeing him post recently.) had a 40' Intrigue that he made many modifications too. (Quite a mechanic, with some neat mod's to his rig in many areas.) He added self installing, uninstalling 'automatic' chains that apparently are used by trucks and busses in some region. He had posted some pictures of that mod, and many of his others too. His name is Dallas.

Best of luck to you, and all, travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

On chains. Check the Country Coach Yahoo User group forum. A former member (May still be, but I don't recall seeing him post recently.) had a 40' Intrigue that he made many modifications too. (Quite a mechanic, with some neat mod's to his rig in many areas.) He added self installing, uninstalling 'automatic' chains that apparently are used by trucks and busses in some region. He had posted some pictures of that mod, and many of his others too. His name is Dallas.

Best of luck to you, and all, travel safe,
Smitty
Here in WA some of our school buses have the auto chains installed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #7

Chains

Had to put chains on my 40 Bluebird school bus to get out of China Peak Ski resort once. I drove very slow and it was very loud and rough but I didn't skid around any. This is my only experience with chains.
We took our Coach to Oregon this last December and I purchased a set of Cable Chains because you have to carry chains up there in the winter. I am so glad that I didn't have to use them. We just had snow after we got off the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Coach.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	149814  
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

A lot of western states require that you at least have chains with you during certain months. If you have to have chains I think the cable chains vs the heavy chain chains would be the way to go. I have heard of the tire sock but have not seen it in use and some at the chain check stations may not let them through. Same thing with the Auto Chains. They are designed to get through intermittent slick spots not to pull you through 8 inches of fresh snow. So if you're traveling in areas that require chains it's not a bad idea to have them but I like the idea of A: just avoiding the snow of B: just hunker down till the storm passes and the the roads get cleared.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Here is a youtube about snow socks.
2 weeks age with all the heavy snow here in the Portland area and semi trucks on the road just looking at them on TV, a lot of them had the autosock on there rigs.
Looks like something to have on hand if you get in a pinch.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

https://www.autosock-canada.com/collections/all
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #10

I use cam chains (same as semi trucks) on the exterior drive tire of my 1992 Affinity on a regular basis. Make sure they are as tight as you can get them and also bungee in the center to further reduce slop. I keep it at 25-30 mph or below.
Your coach will be a tank in the snow if you chain it up. I've never had any issues sliding when I had chains installed.
I will often drive on the snow without chains if there is ok traction and/or there aren't lots of other vehicles on the road. Either way, I think you will be impressed at how well these rigs handle in the snow. Just take it easy and take your time slowing down and accelerating.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I have Auto Socks for both the MH and the Toad. I've put them on just to see if they fit and they are easy to install and remove. Light weight and not very likely to do any damage. Do a Google search and watch the video.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Again referencing my vast 'lack of' experience in snow/ice conditions, a follow up question.

AutoSocks - Why only on the Drive wheel? (Understand the single outside drive, and also why not a the Tag, as it is 'tagging along'.) But why not also on the Steers? (They usually have less weight on them then the Drive's, and turning is rather an important feature and desired result when actually changing the position of the steering wheel!)

AutoSocks - Reading a post on a Subaru forum, many are using them on all of their all wheel drive Subaru's. Though apparently they're advised to only put them on their Steers. So same basic question, what is the negative of placing them on all four of an all wheel drive vehicle?

TIA for any thoughts, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Normally when traction devices are required it is so they can get traction to keep moving up a mountain pass. Steering isn't a big issue unless you are on solid ice. Nothing says you can't put them on all wheels but expense might be an issue. Many years on the ski patrol and seldom had to put chains (traction devices) on but most states require that you have them available during winter mountain driving.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote