Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires

My coach has 2 or 3 tires with 2010 date codes. My rule has always been to replace them at 7 years. When we bought this coach in 2013, the dealer had a local Michelin dealer put all 'new' tires on the coach, XZA2's. I saw the guy installing the tires and foolishly did not check all the date codes before we left the dealership the next day. I later noticed that some of the tires were mounted so the date codes were inside. Most of them had 2012 build dates (Dec 2012 dates, tires were installed in April 2013). The 2 or 3 tires that had date codes on the inside had 2010 codes. I did call my salesman and complain but his response was 'they were still new.'

So while I always replace all tires at the same time, I am planning to get the 2010 tires off the coach. I will put new tires on the steer axle (both of those have 2012 dates) and move those to wherever the 2010 tires reside. I hope it is only two but I seem to remember there were three.

Found a local dealer who sells most all the major brands and will be pricing Continental (FMCA pricing) vs. Hankook AH-12's which I've used on my previous coach.

As an alternative, I guess I could have the shop pull, demount and inspect the 2010 tires and base my decision on that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

Replace them, a blowout will cost you time stranded, body damage and possibly put you in a dangerous driving situation. I like your idea to put them on the front, I have done the same thing.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

I am of the opinion the "new" 2010 tires in 2013 are not aged in the 2 years they were in controlled storage. Tires deteriorate due to usage (flex and load, thus heat) and UV/heat/ozone (weather damage), neither of which occurred while in storage. I am not an expert by any means, but I would be comfortable putting the 2010 on the inside dual and tag and keep an eye on them (visual and TPMS).

Possibly Tireman9 (retired tire engineer) may see this, or you can search and PM him the question.

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I am of the opinion the "new" 2010 tires in 2013 are not aged in the 2 years they were in controlled storage. Tires deteriorate due to usage (flex and load, thus heat) and UV/heat/ozone (weather damage), neither of which occurred while in storage. I am not an expert by any means, but I would be comfortable putting the 2010 on the inside dual and tag and keep an eye on them (visual and TPMS).

Possibly Tireman9 (retired tire engineer) may see this, or you can search and PM him the question.

My thoughts,
Brian
Well, based on the fact that they are already showing some sidewall cracking (not a lot but some cracking around the entire perimeter near the bead), I really want the 2010's off the coach. I visited two tire shops today and both told me they could not/would not guarantee a tire to have a date code of no more than 6 months. They both said they would guarantee no older than one year. I am still looking for a high volume commercial tire dealer in my area.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Well, based on the fact that they are already showing some sidewall cracking (not a lot but some cracking around the entire perimeter near the bead), I really want the 2010's off the coach. I visited two tire shops today and both told me they could not/would not guarantee a tire to have a date code of no more than 6 months. They both said they would guarantee no older than one year. I am still looking for a high volume commercial tire dealer in my area.
Fair enough, your opinion trumps the rest of us couch "know-it-alls".....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

I too am looking for tires (295/80r22.5). Currently have Bridgestones on the rear and Goodyear (foolishly) on the front. Has anyone used Toyo M144s? In years past I have seen negative comments about them.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
I too am looking for tires (295/80r22.5). Currently have Bridgestones on the rear and Goodyear (foolishly) on the front. Has anyone used Toyo M144s? In years past I have seen negative comments about them.
I just spoke to a high volume commercial truck tire shop in Richmond, VA who sells Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone. He said he sells a fair number of Bridgestone R265's to motorhome owners. He quoted me about $435 for them in a 295/80/22.5. At this point I'm leaning toward the Continental HRS2sa which he says is a great tire and a lot of tour buses use them. The FMCA price for those is right at $548 plus FET which is less than the Michelin XZA2's I now have on the coach.

I guess we all fret more than necessary over tires. I suspect any of the major brands would be fine, including the Toyo M144.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I had 2 dealers tell me I can't choose date codes for my new tires! Really, who's paying for the tires! Shopped around and found a dealer that got me 4 tires for my 5er with date codes 2117 and 4 tires for TV with date codes 2217. It's your money spend it like you own it.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd get a quote and then tell whomever who want to go with, that you will purchase if the tires are no more than say 6 months (or whatever you want) old. If they don't want to work with you on that - its your money. Walk away and go to bid number 2. A lot of times, tire stores are an independent bunch. Sometimes it seems like they really don't care what you want. Its their way or no way. I just don't play the game by those rules. Its my money I'm spending.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #10

FMCA prices should reflect from highest to lowest price the:
-Michelin XZA2
-Continental's you mentioned (Read and heard good things about them.)
-BF Goodrich ST230's (I ran with two of these 2 1/2 years ago during one of the Michelin tire shortages. And feel they're a good band for the buck... Currently have them doing Tag duty, along with 6 newer XZA2's.)

I believe that you can find the Hankook AH12's you mentioned, or maybe AH11's(?) - for a lower price point then any of the three tires above.

Next time around on our coach, I'll probably go with the Hankook AH12 on Drive/Tag position, and Michelin XZA2's on steers. I feel it's a reasonable approach to safe tires (As I consider the AH12's and XZA2's to all be safe, good quality tires.). Balanced against lower overall costs. My reasoning for the XZA2's not he steers, is from feedback on them being a bit softer riding tire then the Hankook's. And I want to minimize road imperfection transfer into the front end of the cab.

And I'm in the camp that works with a tire shop to ensure 6 months or younger tires. If they can't work with me to obtain them, someone else will...

I've had very positive experience with TCI Tire Centers (Owned by Michelins, but the sell other brands too. The tire Manger at a Denver region TCI was the first to recommend the Hankook AH12's to me...). You might check to see if they have a tire center near you.

TCi Tire Centers

I've had bad results with I feel with a dishonest sales person, and very unprofessional manager, at Bob Dickman's Les Schwab out of Junction City. So I'll avoid them for the future. (And I know many CC owners have had good luck with them, why I called them - happy for those that have had good results... But willing to bet, the first tire they recommend for your coach would to Toyo's! Which is a good tire, but was not what I was looking for with the criteria I gave the salesman to help me choose tires...).

Best of luck to you. And please let us know what you end up with, and more important, your impressions down the road!!!
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Smitty, I do have a TCI shop here. I called and asked about the Hankooks. They said they were a dealer but said they rarely get any. When I asked if they would/could just order them for me, he said no they just take whatever Hankook sends them whenever they show up. It was a strange conversation.

In about 2011, I got 6 AH-12's from TCI in Roanoke, VA since I lived there then. They happily ordered them for me. Not sure what is going on with the Richmond location.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #12

Check online....simple tire dot com, I have no affiliation with them can only tell you I purchased the AH12 Hankooks. Free shipping. Had a mobile guy come and install by hand on location! Under 2500 out the door! Tires were like $2159 all 6 less then 4 months old
dmp1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One thing none of you have mentioned, state sales tax? There are 5 states that do not charge sales tax, Alaska, Montana, Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware! Buying your tires from them will save you some money, depending on how many tires you buy at a time! Some of the other states have a way low tax on tires also, so check around!
OP is from Va., so if it were me, I would be taking a trip to NH or DE. to buy my tires! Just say'n!! Rail!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Just a follow up on my tire saga.

I decided to take advantage of the FMCA pricing on the Continental HSR2sa tires. I spoke to the 3 Continental dealers in my area and none of them knew anything about the FMCA, the special pricing, etc. So I called FMCA and they put me in touch with their liaison with Continental. He is in Fort Mill, SC and said the FMCA deal was started in February and there are still dealers who don't know about it. He asked me what dealer I preferred and he would take care of it.

The next day I got a call from my preferred dealer telling me they were up to speed and would order some new tires with good date codes for me. Should have them in about two weeks.

I appreciate all the suggestions to look online, go elsewhere to avoid state sales tax, etc. However, I am old school and believe in getting the best deal I can get while supporting local businesses whenever possible.

Tags
tires