Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer Question

I made an assumption and I know that’s bad. I just purchased a 16 foot enclosed trailer to tow behind my coach. The trailer is equipped with electric brakes. Since my coach had the 7 prong plug I assumed (ASS/U/ME) that I wouldn’t have to do anything. When I touch my coach brakes, trailer brakes lock up.

Anybody know what I should check and how I can temporarily disconnect the trailer brakes to stop wheel lockup? All I have in the trailer is my motorcycle so I’m not too worried about my coach being unable to stop the unit.

Thanks.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Pull your documents out and you will find a wiring diagram for the 7 pin plug. Disconnect the wire for the brakes. That is the easy way but you should really have brakes on the trailer, For that you will need a brake controller which is not part of the CC wiring.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Pull your documents out and you will find a wiring diagram for the 7 pin plug. Disconnect the wire for the brakes. That is the easy way but you should really have brakes on the trailer, For that you will need a brake controller which is not part of the CC wiring.
Thanks. I intend on having trailer place install controller. I assumed since it had the round 7 plug that the controller built in somewhere. Disconnecting the brakes allows me to limp home.
Coach #10984
Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Hey bud your trailer brake controller which will be in easy reaching distance while in the driver seat will have one or two little wheels. One wheel is for adjusting the power going to the brakes. Just turn the wheel until the brakes barley come on then you will have trailer brakes but not lock up.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

As the previous poster stated it sounds like you have a controller. Some are controlled differently but it sounds as if you have the gain set to high for your trailer. If you don’t find the controller the brake controller wire going to your trailer brakes is normally blue. If you plan to cut a wire before you do best do it on the trailer not the coach. If you slide under your trailer you will see a wire going to the brake drums. You can follow that forwar and cut it somewhere convenient close to the tongue of the trailer. Just making a suggestion before cutting wires on the coach. Also some of the coaches have a trailer wiring control box in the rear compartment. Mine is a 2005 CC Affinity 770 and it is in the rear most compartment where remote oil fill is located. You can disconnect the trailer brakes there as well. Your owners manual should help you with all this info. Good luck.
Piros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

Thanks all. There is nothing in the cockpit that looks like a brake controller. I do know what one looks like. I’m going to dig into this in the morning.
Coach #10984
Old 11-13-2017, 02:42 AM   #7

If your coach is anything like mine it could be prewired for the brake controller, my wire bundle was located above the steering column.

Once the wiring bundle is located it's a easy job.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:58 AM   #8

apatz-

I wonder if someone has connected a 12V source to the trailer electric brake controller output wire under the dash.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #9

That would make since for him to have power back there if this has happened. Also I have seen had a trailer that power wire had a tag of wire that made contact with the brake wire. If you go to etrailer.com they have ball sorts of trailer wiring setups. You should have the 7 way RV plug. Look at both the trailer and the coach, they show both sides.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #10

You may have spare wires in your coach that run from front to back. When you have your controller installed they can use these spares. My coach has 5 spare wires. All 5 end at a terminal strip in the chassis battery compartment. It would be easy to run from there to the 7 pin trailer connector. Two are 10 ga wires and Three are 12 ga wires. The other end of the spare wires are in the space under the trans shift panel to the left of the drivers seat. These are identified as "spares " in the coach wiring diagram.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #11

And the saga continues. This morning I dove into it and pulled the 7 prong connector off the coach and removed the cover. Imagine my shock when the trailer brake pin had no wire on it at all so there shouldn’t be a signal to the trailer brakes at all right? So why the heck are my brakes locking when I hit my brakes?

Too much for me to worry about so I’m calling trailer company in the morning. All trailer wiring is buried within the trailer frame so unable to trace. Only option is to clip the wires at each wheel, unload the trailer completely and drag to the shop.

It’s true that the older you get the harder things become. *smh*
Coach #10984
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #12

Not there so obviously we are throwing ideas at you but did you open the plug on the trailer side? The problem may be there. Like I said earlier I have seen a lot crazy issues pop up on our trucks. Why it would be doing it only when you stop is the strange part if you do not have power back there. Good luck and please post the resolution.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
Not there so obviously we are throwing ideas at you but did you open the plug on the trailer side? The problem may be there. Like I said earlier I have seen a lot crazy issues pop up on our trucks. Why it would be doing it only when you stop is the strange part if you do not have power back there. Good luck and please post the resolution.
Trailer plug is a sealed unit and unable to be opened.
Coach #10984

Tags
trailer