Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

Transfer switch swap out

Greetings All,
Next project for the rig an 04 Intrigue is swapping out the transfer switch.
I know this handles power transfer from generator to shore power. Would I have to be concerned about inverter power during this? Turn inverter off and disconnect batteries?

Thanks again...be safe,
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

Just unplug coach from shore power and don’t try running the
GenSet very straight forward swap I completed one in a parking lot with a leg brace on. Wires are stiff, make sure you have a good connection, TIGHT TIGHT. Hope this helps.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, relatively easy. I removed shore power, turned the inverter off. Tight space in mine due to a shore power reel but straight forward. As mentioned, make sure the connections are tight and check them again later.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Take a picture before you start and label the wires and if necessary make a schematic.

It is straight forward but you never know.

As previous suggestion, unplug and I'd turn off the battery disconnect switches.

After you are done and everything is working I'd go back after a couple weeks and recheck the wiring connections to make sure they are tight. When use the heat and contract and if not tight to begin with can cause resistance and more heat.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

The transfer switch on our 2014 Itasca Meridian got damaged a week ago. I too am needing to install a new unit. But, ALL those wires! I'm sure I could do it with lot's of pictures and instructions. And, it would be a same for same swap. But, the DW says she would rather pay for installation of such a critical piece of the electrical system. Smooth sailing with your installation!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

Thanks for all the quick replies
I am pretty comfortable around electrical work..just unfamiliar with cache wiring at this time...but will get to know it
I will be installing an ESCO LPT50BRD. It on it's way and I went to ESCO website and pulled installation and troubleshooting guide which has the wiring diagram. Good tip on taking pictures I have gotten into that habit as well
Swap out is a suprise for the DW to get rid of that annoying 60hz buzz

Thanks so much,
Greg
Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Naturally, i haven't seen the wiring diagrams but I'd most certainly disconnect all batteries (house and coach batteries both if applicable). On my coach the house batteries feed the inverter and the inverter charges the batteries so the transfer switch connects either the batteries or generator to the inverter and bypasses the inverter upon transfer switch action. The inverter would have an inductive draw from the batteries upon switch over even if things are all off making it spark happy. Might draw a spark that i'd certainly not want at replacement and re connection. Basically, I'd definitely recommend disconnecting ALL power sources (at their source) from the transfer box prior to changing out from a pure safety point of view-especially if you don't have the wiring diagrams. Perhaps overkill, but my belief is better safe than sorry. Then, watch out for that spark at battery re connection at the battery post depending on transfer switch position. This could be minimized by ensuring the transfer switch is in shore power position prior to reconnecting the batteries. That way, the only load on the batteries would be the 12VDC system and the inverter itself. Also, be mindful if dealing with 50AMP 110VAC (2-25 amp 110VDC for poles if miswired becomes a 50amp 220VAC similar to your home oven or dryer and that can kill) on one side of the transfer, cross wiring or a screw driver slip up could be scary and even damaging if not properly hooked back up, not to mention getting the poles swapped up which might cause some issues with some appliances. I discovered that one time in helping my son with a fridge install in an older travel trailer. Very doable, i've just been bit a few times and accidentally welded with electricity not meaning to so i give it a lot of respect!! Be Safe!!
1998 Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent
tntnmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnmotion View Post
On my coach the house batteries feed the inverter and the inverter charges the batteries so the transfer switch connects either the batteries or generator to the inverter and bypasses the inverter upon transfer switch action.
The Transfer Switch is only for 240/120VAC. AC power out of the TS goes to a main breaker panel (one breaker is "feeding" the Inverter. The Inverter does not feed the AC panel).

It has nothing to do with the Inverter/Charger (which is a 12VDC system).

Here is an example of how its wired:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power or Generator power to Inverter.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	300121  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

We have a yearly 1/4 turn loosen, and then retighten, of many wire junctions. The ATS on that list!

Side note: On a longer stay at Wolf Creek Run in Pagosa Springs. A neighbor mentioned they'd been detecting a 'hint' of a electrical smell in their coach. And asked if I had any ideas what to look for. We spent 15 mins before we found the culprit. I like to start from shore power, and work downstream when investigating such things. He had loose screws on his ATS wires. The loose wires resulted in heat build up, with enough heat to start scorching the wire insulation.

Just one example of such occurrences, where loose electrical connections heat build up can cause deadly consequences.

So I always yearly cycle on reviewing critical wire junctions. And worth paying an hour shop rate to a good tech to do this for you, if not comfortable doing the process yourself. Cheap insurance!!!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The Transfer Switch is only for 240/120VAC. AC power out of the TS goes to a main breaker panel (one breaker is "feeding" the Inverter. The Inverter does not feed the AC panel).

It has nothing to do with the Inverter/Charger (which is a 12VDC system).

Here is an example of how its wired:
That totally nailed it
Thanks Mike
Old 09-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #11

LPT50BRD Transfer switch showed up today took about 2 1/2 hours half an hour of that was after mounting the new switch...I was using a piece of mylar to hold the mounting bolts in the nut driver...all went well until the last one when I lost the peice of mylar in the switch
I am working out in a pasture so had to run 110v extension out a shop vac and an air compresser...air compresser first...low pressure and second shot found it and removed
Feeling better about finding the conductive piece of material
Finished the job. and was able to use all existing wire
Even bought 6 feet of 6/3 a ground figuring panel load would be to short
Cautiously plugged in turned main breaker and 30 amp sub breaker on turned on 1 outlet breaker nothing....turned on micro nothing I am getting power in from shore iam getting power to panel....but not outlets or micro..
Wait what's 30 amp inverter....doh...we are good now
Still learning the system...
Thanks to All Yall!
greg
Old 09-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #12

Did I mention how quiet everything, is now....wow!

Tags
switch, transfer switch