Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Transmission Oil Temperature

I assume there’s been plenty of conversations about this topic, however have any of you experienced rising transmission oil temperatures that require you to pull off the road every hour or so in warmer weather to let the transmission temperature cool? If so, I know this is not natural. If you had repairs performed, what did they consist of? Replacing the temperature sensor for the transmission? Replacing the oil pump within the transmission? Validating that there’s no blockage in the transmission oil cooler? This problem immediately began Saturday morning and I have never experienced it prior. My plan is to take it into service and have them hook up the Allison transmission to a diagnostic machine to see if it calls out anything, but wanted to see if there was any history and subsequent resolutions.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

‘David

2003 Contry Coach Lexa
Burlroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Hi David,

The only time I recall seeing my transmission temperature rise was when I am pulling a heavy load uphill on a very hot day 90+ degrees). Did a large hill or heavy load in play interviews your rise in temperature?
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #3

Did you confirm the temp by shooting the pan with an infrared gun?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

I observed the temperature by looking at the dash gauge as well as the silverleaf VMS. Both of those indicators indicated rising transmission oil temperature. While they were subtle grades, nothing that should’ve caused the problem.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #5

What temperatures are you seeing?

My transmission temperature rises as I go faster, tow heavier or go up a grade. Rising temperature isn't a problem unless it gets too high.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlroad View Post
I observed the temperature by looking at the dash gauge as well as the silverleaf VMS. Both of those indicators indicated rising transmission oil temperature. While they were subtle grades, nothing that should’ve caused the problem.

Both of those gauges probably use the same, possibly defective, sender. He nce my question!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

After the coach has been turned off for 45 minutes, the temperature reads 185°. When I start driving, it climbs towards 250° over the course of the next 45 to 60 minutes.

When it hit 250° the alarm started going off and I pulled over and stopped. Over the next seven hours I would not let it reached at temperature and what hit a rest stop to let it cool.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

You may want to give your radiator/coolers a good washing to see it that helps. A few years ago, mine would go up to @ 210F which was abnormally high for my coach, 2004 Allure, 36 footer. I took the side grill off, used a bug sprayer with Dawn detergent, sprayed everything inside and out, and let it set for an hour. Then I hit it with Simple Green and waited an hour. Then I rinsed it off with a pressure washer (pw) and that solved most of my problem. If you use a pw, keep your distance as it will bend your cooling fins if you get too close. My temp now stays at or below 185 with no problems. It's a cheap try/fix if your coolers haven't been washed in a while. Good luck.
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I take in the coach on Monday and will let folks know of the outcome.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #10

Wanted to circle back around in the event this happened to anyone else. When my local heavy truck service center performed the Allison transmission service, instead of refilling the transmission fluid with the proper REFILL amount of oil, they added the amount of oil as if the transmission was brand new and being filled the very first time. When you drain and refill the Allison transmission fluid it requires 7 to 8 quarts less than the original fill. The result of this was ever increasing temperatures in the transmission which by the way heading up to and eventually past 250°. Rather frustrating that the guys at the service center didn’t know that. What’s the old saying, Measure twice cut once?
They drained out 7 quarts of oil and so graciously credited it back to me.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of the reasons I do as much of the service work as I can!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlroad View Post
They drained out 7 quarts of oil and so graciously credited it back to me.
Did you ask to credit back the half of the entire trans service fee, if not all?
Think about potential damage to it...

I do as much as I can just don't want to give them the chances to touch it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you know the procedure for checking your trans fluid level using your keypad? Good idea to check it each trip!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #14

Funny you ask about checking the fluid level from the selector pad. After scratching my head and considering all the possible reasons why the trans temperature had suddenly gone off the brinks I did eventually check the Allison shifting panel to run some diagnostics which is when I saw the +7 quarts indicator. Remember, I had just had the transmission service performed 2 month earlier but had only done short trips since. Nothing that would have allowed enough time to run the temperatures up. Not until my 5 hour trip to Milwaukee did the conditions allow for this to present itself.

Fortunately I never let it get above 250 degrees as I would pull into rest areas to let things cool down. Though it did add 3 hours to my return trip to MN. Being able to run the Allison diagnostics from the shifter panel is pretty slick indeed!

Tags
transmission