Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Turn on Hydronic Heater remotely?

Our Central Hydronic Heat switches are on the panel above the entrance. When we need heat, I turn Central Hydronic Heater on (two rocker switches and 2 knobs). Although I set the temp on thermostat, when interior temp reaches the setting, only will the blowers stop, the Hurricane heater still keeps running. I have to turn the Central Hydronic Heater off manually.

In the past two days, it was pretty cold here, about 45 degrees in the early morning. I hate to get up and walk to the front of the coach to turn the heater on. I wonder if anyone esle has found a way or modified it to turn it on remotely. (The hydronic switch in bedroom is only turning on/off the blower to the bedroom; it does not turn on/off the heater).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #2

I think something might be wrong since when the temperature set on the thermostat attained in the interior of the coach my hurricane shuts off, or It could be the thermostat in your water Bay for the hurricane in which case it will run when it drops below that temperature down there if the hurricane switches are on regardless of the temperature upstairs. You can adjust that with the little rheostat inside the Water Bay. Mine is set to around 36 degrees. If yours is coming on when it's 45 degrees outside it's set way too high.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
On my 2007 450DE1 Aquahot the fans run until interior thermostat reach set temperature, the interior fans and aqua hot circulation pumps for the zones turn off. If the diesel burner switch is left on the burner cycles to keep the boiler temperature up within the operating range.

As mentioned, my plumbing bay has a heating coil and if the rheostat and that system is calling for heat my Zone 2 circulation pump kicks on (its on that loop in my coach). This is a heating load on the aqua hot and it again fires to keep boiler bath temperature within its operating range.

I too hate the aqua hot running at night and tend to shut it off and turn it back on in the morning. I run a temperature controlled electric heater (Dyson) at night for the chilly temps.

Brian

EDIT: Just re-read the title of your thread - I do have a remote control for my aqua hot - the wife gets up earlier than I, so I simply yell "heater on", and voila! Better than the "clap-on"....
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

I too have the Hurricane and found this video helpful for diagnosing the problems. But as you have stated the system should shut off when the thermostat temp has been attained, mine does. This video will give you the correct way and location for cause and affect for your problem. My remote switch is located in my dinning area and when turned on will cycle through each of my 3 thermostats only when they call for heat at the Hurricane control panel. My system now works as New.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I think something might be wrong since when the temperature set on the thermostat attained in the interior of the coach my hurricane shuts off, or It could be the thermostat in your water Bay for the hurricane in which case it will run when it drops below that temperature down there if the hurricane switches are on regardless of the temperature upstairs. You can adjust that with the little rheostat inside the Water Bay. Mine is set to around 36 degrees. If yours is coming on when it's 45 degrees outside it's set way too high.

Rich 2002 Magna
rich, now you pointed me to the right direction - it should have worked as you described but not. i did see the heating coil in the wet bay, but couldn't identify the rheostst. how does it look like and where is it mounted on your coach? i am guessing mine might be in the same spot. thanks!!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
On my 2007 450DE1 Aquahot the fans run until interior thermostat reach set temperature, the interior fans and aqua hot circulation pumps for the zones turn off. If the diesel burner switch is left on the burner cycles to keep the boiler temperature up within the operating range.

As mentioned, my plumbing bay has a heating coil and if the rheostat and that system is calling for heat my Zone 2 circulation pump kicks on (its on that loop in my coach). This is a heating load on the aqua hot and it again fires to keep boiler bath temperature within its operating range.

I too hate the aqua hot running at night and tend to shut it off and turn it back on in the morning. I run a temperature controlled electric heater (Dyson) at night for the chilly temps.

Brian

EDIT: Just re-read the title of your thread - I do have a remote control for my aqua hot - the wife gets up earlier than I, so I simply yell "heater on", and voila! Better than the "clap-on"....
i wish mine worked like yours... particularly i like your version of "remote" - on my coach it works other way around - more than often i was the one hearing a "heater on" command .
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I think something might be wrong since when the temperature set on the thermostat attained in the interior of the coach my hurricane shuts off,
If the Hurricane works anything like an Aqua Hot, even though your thermostat is no longer calling for heat, the diesel burner still has to fire up occasionaly to keep the tank of boiler fluid up to temperature.
This way it is ready to supply heat, or hot water.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I too have the Hurricane and found this video helpful for diagnosing the problems. But as you have stated the system should shut off when the thermostat temp has been attained, mine does. This video will give you the correct way and location for cause and affect for your problem. My remote switch is located in my dinning area and when turned on will cycle through each of my 3 thermostats only when they call for heat at the Hurricane control panel. My system now works as New.

this is a nice video explaining the components so clearly. i have bookmarked it for my next maintenance. .
Old 02-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #9

When the thermostat calls for heat the Hurricane boiler should turn on first, followed by the blowers 20 to 30 seconds later.
After the temp has been reached the Hurricane boiler should turn off first followed by the blowers 20 to 30 seconds later.
Unless, like Rich has already mentioned that the rheostat in the water bay is still calling for heat because it’s set higher.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Community Moderator

i dug further and found it. it was at 35 degree but it's a mechanical device it may not be accurate so i turned it down to 32 to test it tonight. if it still does not work as supposed to, i'll probably replace it for good. stay tuned.

edit: my room temp is 66 deg now. i set ccc furnace at 62 deg and turned central heating, interior heating and the blowers on. the hurricane ran for 1 minute or so and stopped. marvelous! that was the first time i had seen it. now system is in standby mode. wait until room temp getting lower later, and see if hurricane behaves.... promising... later...
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
Community Moderator

good news - my hurricane system is indeed working as designed now. obviously rich hit the nail on the head, the reheostat in wet bay was set too high calling hurricane to keep running. the scale on the rheostat may not be accurate. i'll tweak it to set at 35 actual degrees.

now i just let it do the job automatically no need to manually turn it on/off any more. thank you all for your help. phew, i am learning every day!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
You need to watch this video from "Outside or Bubble" Sounds like what you are looking for.

Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't turn on the blowers at the same time you turn on the furnace. What happens when you turn on both at the same time is that the boiler is trying to heat the coolant and the blowers are trying to extract heat from the coolant. It takes longer to get up to temperature if you run the blowers right from the start. Start the furnace and let it run for 5 minutes or so before turning on the blowers.

I usually let the wife get up and turn on the heat while staying comfy in bed
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
Community Moderator

good point, don! when turning the blowers on while coolant is still cold, really wasting electricity!

i left the system on last night whole night. it kept room temperature exactly at my set point. the noise level didn't bother me. i slept whole night long like a fat cat .

love this board!

Tags
heat, heater, remote