Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Turning radius

I just acquired a 97 Allure in excellent condition. I was aware of the wide turning radius of the early solid-axle CCs, and this one is no different, but I decided to give it a try. Winnebago/Country Coach told me that much of the build info on early CCs can't be located and may be lost forever. However they did confirm that I have a Dynamax chassis instead of a Gillig. I understand there may be a slight amount of adjustment on the suspension stops, but not much, if it hasn't already been done.

My question is: Can anything I'm not aware of be done about this, and how do those that have these rigs deal with it and live with it?

Thanks.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA state.

As to your question: I know that a lot of data seems to have been lost during the buyout by Winnebago and changing computer systems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

I would contact two places. I would talk to Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene and also Oregon Motorcoach also in Eugene.

Back in the good old days, CC did their own alignment plus they sent some coaches to Kaiser. Kaiser is still the go to place for such work. Oregon Motorcoach is ripe with CC knowledge and it would pay off to talk to Jim Cooley.

You might be able to get another few degrees radius but nothing more.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmm.. I was thinking about going to Brazels or Hendersons for an alignment check but Kaiser might be a better choice.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

You should also consider Eric of CC/Winnebago he does a alignment for us on a annual basis. Anyone I ever talked too recommends him as well. Will be stopping at Henderson's for a quick checkup (I hope), do nor remember them doing alignments.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

I also agree with Eric at CC. Takes his time. Not only does he align things but he checks response on ride height valves. Gets the ride height set perfectly. Centers the steering wheel after the alignment.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
You should also consider Eric of CC/Winnebago he does a alignment for us on a annual basis. Anyone I ever talked too recommends him as well. Will be stopping at Henderson's for a quick checkup (I hope), do nor remember them doing alignments.
When I was at Hendersons in Grantspass in 2004 they had an alignment setup for large MH's. The put my '02 40' DSDP up on it.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Thank you, plan on checking it out.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Kaiser Brake told me there may be some adjustment on the steering stop, but not much. I left a message for Jim Cooley.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I also agree with Eric at CC. Takes his time. Not only does he align things but he checks response on ride height valves. Gets the ride height set perfectly. Centers the steering wheel after the alignment.
Kaiser has the same routine. They also check and adjust tire pressure to what specs you tell them before starting the alignment
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #11

I picked up the rig today and drove it 50 miles home. I almost passed up on it because of the notorious wide turning radius of the solid-axle Country Coaches, but I'm glad I bought it after all. I'll just have to get used to it and obviously it will present some challenges when towing, which I always do. I may start out with a tow dolly, but will probably move to a 16' car trailer. It's nice to be able to back up.

Compared to other rigs I've owned, it doesn't rattle at all on the road and the quality throughout is superb. I think I'm going to like it. I was looking for for a Magna for the hydronic heat, but I wasn't able to make a deal for one. Other than that, the Allure fulfills all my needs. Four of the windows have the well-known problem, but not bad enough yet to really need fixing. There's a place here in Florida that does them for 200 each and you can plug in and stay at the place while they're doing the work. The floor plan is one of the most practical I've seen. Looks like SO and I, along with her cat, will be able to coexist quite well in it. We'll be spending some time with the slide in, because I never stay at RV Parks while traveling. I use truck stops primarily and various other places, though it appears that lifestyle has become a little more difficult in the 15 years since I sold my last rig.

I know nothing about Cummins engines, having driven Caterpillar's during the several years I was full timing. I'll have to do some reading up. The Caterpillar has more torque, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the 8.3 Cummins performance. It was 95° in Florida today. Traveling on flat ground at 65MPH, my indicated coolant temperature was 180. Just to be safe I'm going to have that gauge calibrated or do an actual check at the engine.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

I didn't think the dynomax not dynamax chassis came out until late 1998 early 1999. I'm sure it's a gillig if your coach is a 1997
Call or email here with the last 6 digits from your vin and he can send you about 12 pages of info.

Bo Vongamath
Technical Service Advisor
Gillig
25800 Clawiter Road
Hayward, CA 94545
Phone: 510-264-5077
Fax: 510-785-1348
BV@gilling.com
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #13

Welcome to the group! I am a big fan of our older CC and we both love ours. Lots of info on here for sure.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I didn't think the dynomax not dynamax chassis came out until late 1998 early 1999. I'm sure it's a gillig if your coach is a 1997
Call or email here with the last 6 digits from your vin and he can send you about 12 pages of info.

Bo Vongamath
Technical Service Advisor
Gillig
25800 Clawiter Road
Hayward, CA 94545
Phone: 510-264-5077
Fax: 510-785-1348
BV@gilling.com
Thanks. I emailed Bo. I also found a Gillig stamp on one of the filter housings.