Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
Community Moderator

That's heck of a deal Phil. I am guessing it won't be over than 100k after all of that is fixed and it's back in a like new condition. That money is well spent.

Salvage title won't be an issue if you plan to keep it for you and probably your children. But think about it who wouldn't want to keep such a marvel? Get it done and enjoy it to the fullest for the rest of your life!!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
That's heck of a deal Phil. I am guessing it won't be over than 100k after all of that is fixed and it's back in a like new condition. That money is well spent.

Salvage title won't be an issue if you plan to keep it for you and probably your children. But think about it who wouldn't want to keep such a marvel? Get it done and enjoy it to the fullest for the rest of your life!!
I'm sure it will be more once all is fixed and upgraded. Some things will have to wait if they are just cosmetic. Main overall issue is water entry points. Whether they are seams, roof or windows. That will be done before I leave a shop!
2007 CC Affinity 700 custom #6737
ISX600 / CM870 serial number 97166522
f360racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #17

Update on previous owner...

“The coach is presently at Premier RV in Junction City. ( back home for repairs). They are looking at the entire coach and I’m waiting for details on damage and needed repairs or upgrades. If anyone has details on previous owner “Doug Hill” and ask that they contact me please. I would love to send personal items that were left in the coach they might not have been able to retrieve once insurance bought the coach. Secondly to find out more of the history etc. of the coach.“

I received information from CA DMV that this coach was registered to a “Douglas Allen Hill” from 08/31/13-08/31/21. It was re-titled 10/21/20 to OR DMV. Most likely when insurance bought coach from previous owner at site of repair in OR. Of course this is public data released by DMV but I still don’t have city or Zip to narrow search down. Lots of Doug Hill’s! If anyone knows the previous owner and they are willing to reach out to me vis PM. I would appreciate it.

I have also received some preliminary and detailed estimates for repairs. The range is great. $11K, $15K-$35K, $25K and the highest being $54K - $70K. I’m waiting for one more and I will update my choice and the reason why soon
Old 12-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #18

Sorry I don't know Doug but thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the progress to getting back on the road!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #19

https://youtu.be/tgwFkiM_HrU

Brian has posted an update video on the coach.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f360racer View Post
“The coach is presently at Premier RV in Junction City. ( back home for repairs). They are looking at the entire coach and I’m waiting for details on damage and needed repairs or upgrades. If anyone has details on previous owner “Doug Hill” and ask that they contact me please. I would love to send personal items that were left in the coach they might not have been able to retrieve once insurance bought the coach. Secondly to find out more of the history etc. of the coach.“

I received information from CA DMV that this coach was registered to a “Douglas Allen Hill” from 08/31/13-08/31/21. It was re-titled 10/21/20 to OR DMV. Most likely when insurance bought coach from previous owner at site of repair in OR. Of course this is public data released by DMV but I still don’t have city or Zip to narrow search down. Lots of Doug Hill’s! If anyone knows the previous owner and they are willing to reach out to me vis PM. I would appreciate it.

I have also received some preliminary and detailed estimates for repairs. The range is great. $11K, $15K-$35K, $25K and the highest being $54K - $70K. I’m waiting for one more and I will update my choice and the reason why soon
Not sure why insurance would have bought it, chronic water intrusion can’t possibly be a covered fault...acute flood, maybe.

Fix it as cheaply as possible and enjoy it. With a salvage title banks won’t loan on it, many won’t buy. Nothing wrong with salvage, but know what your dealing with.

If nonsalvage is 170k, salvage might be 100k on a good day.

If you spend 50k on repairs, you’re upside down...

Don’t overspend, enjoy it for what it is...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #21

I knew what I was buying ahead of time. So yes I will fix and enjoy. Thanks for reply.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Good to find another Copart salvage coach buyer.... Mine is getting close to being finished. It WILL be ready by this coming summer. I am a project kind of guy and enjoy the challenge of buying problem vehicles and in the end having a nice toy for way less than others have to pay. My front wrecked 2004 quad slide Camelot was 12.6k at Copart about 1.5 years ago. My goal is to stay under 30k out of pocket on mine. Been awhile since I totaled receipts but I think I will be pretty close after I buy 6 new tires and 4 new house batteries this spring prior to my maiden voyage.

I am not concerned with the fact that it will have a "rebuilt" title as I do not intend to sell it. I won't ever use a coach enough to justify spending 200k-300k + on a newer one, but feel good about what I will have in mine. These older coaches are well built and should serve well over many more years.

Good luck with your project... I will follow along.

For those interested in these salvage coaches, my project is here...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jus...ct-444980.html

and multiple episodes on my Youtube channel "Hancock299"
https://youtu.be/yeX_iqT4cd0
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #23

How many miles on this rig?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #24

On Phil’s rig. 52K miles
Old 12-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Good to find another Copart salvage coach buyer.... Mine is getting close to being finished. It WILL be ready by this coming summer. I am a project kind of guy and enjoy the challenge of buying problem vehicles and in the end having a nice toy for way less than others have to pay. My front wrecked 2004 quad slide Camelot was 12.6k at Copart about 1.5 years ago. My goal is to stay under 30k out of pocket on mine. Been awhile since I totaled receipts but I think I will be pretty close after I buy 6 new tires and 4 new house batteries this spring prior to my maiden voyage.

I am not concerned with the fact that it will have a "rebuilt" title as I do not intend to sell it. I won't ever use a coach enough to justify spending 200k-300k + on a newer one, but feel good about what I will have in mine. These older coaches are well built and should serve well over many more years.

Good luck with your project... I will follow along.

For those interested in these salvage coaches, my project is here...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jus...ct-444980.html

and multiple episodes on my Youtube channel "Hancock299"
https://youtu.be/yeX_iqT4cd0
Well said and good luck on your Monaco! You are absolutely right on your approach. My repair skills are not sufficient enough to do the outside repair myself. But if a coach is worth repairing when it cost $200k as most are in this age group in the market today than it’s worth fixing at $75K. Something to be said about the planet and all too. A new 2021 Newell is $2,200,000. If one came up for sale at Copart tomorrow for $1,000,000 and and it was only $200,000 to fix, someone would buy it.

I know as a Ferrari enthusiast and previous multi-Ferrari collector, most of the $30,000,000 old cars out there are “salvage” titles too. If they are “worth” it then our salvage RV’s are too. Once fixed the car doesn’t have a complex about its title. Neither do I. Mine is not an antique or classic strictly speaking but they will be. I know I will take care of it going forward and do as much myself to keep costs down.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #26

update on my coach coming soon...plus how our walls are built

I am trying to find a picture of CC's brochures that advertise the wall construction. No luck so far.

Premier RV in Junction City, OR is now looking at my coach for needed repairs. I should receive the bid and scope of work needed by end of January. (Holidays and lots of other work has precluded them working on my coach until now.)

However I have been reading and searching far and wide for similar repairs so I would understand more of what is involved. Luck would have it that James of AZ Expert, youTuber posted a video on this exact repair on a Winnebago Discovery DP this week. There is a Part 1 and 2 that I've included below.

https://youtu.be/swHxq2S4XEQ

https://youtu.be/aO8CCu9_PC4

You can see there is the outside fiberglass that is painted and sandwiched between that is Lauan or Luan 1/8" plywood to the foam or on the CC's foam/frame. (CC's didn't put foam over the frame so that is why on a cool day you can "see" the frame shape on the condensation buildup on the outside wall.) That is unlike the video above shows on the Winnebago Discovery where there is foam covering the frame. Their frames are aluminum though. The Luan is used as a barrier between the foam and fiberglass. It adds rigidity and Luan keeps the two different glues needed to bond. Apparently the solvent in the glue needed for the fiberglass bond would melt the foam. Luan seems to be the weak point when water gets into the wall. The glue that is used in Luan construction is not waterproof! It should be but it's not so if it gets wet it separates and DE-LAMINATION occurs due to the Luan failing. There is always a layer of Luan still sticking to the fiberglass and another layer still sticking to the foam. Of the three layers in RV Luan it's the middle one that "fails" and has nothing to stick to causing de-lamination.

A new, water impervious rigid material is needed in RV's for new construction or repairs to prevent the obvious water intrusion damage that is all too common. Does anyone know of any? New glue without solvent that can bond to fiberglass and foam without failing the bond or materials?

Premier RV uses COR 15 to treat the steel frames when repairs or rust occurred.
James at RV Expert uses STABOND 400 & 183 for sidewall glue in above videos.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f360racer View Post
I am trying to find a picture of CC's brochures that advertise the wall construction. No luck so far.

A new, water impervious rigid material is needed in RV's for new construction or repairs to prevent the obvious water intrusion damage that is all too common. Does anyone know of any? New glue without solvent that can bond to fiberglass and foam without failing the bond or materials?

Premier RV uses COR 15 to treat the steel frames when repairs or rust occurred.
James at RV Expert uses STABOND 400 & 183 for sidewall glue in above videos.
Several companies are now using Azdel instead of Luan for the materials. Azdel is a composite to be mold and mildew resistant according to them.

There is a repair place in Nappanee, Ind. I think it is named MCI. It is right next to Challenger Door & Ramp Company. We have friends who have their Alfa See Ya in there getting re-skinned right now.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #28

Copy of Country Coach construction 2006 Allure

2006 CC Allure;
Roof:
1. One piece fiberglass roof
2. 1/8" Luan
3. 1-1/2" tubular steel
4. Contoured 2lb. density styrene insulation
5. 26 gauge galvanized metal
6. 1/4" MDF