Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Water leaks how to prevent

I have been reading about water damaged coaches and how to locate issues.

Water leaks start small and may not be detected for many months until the siding starts to pop out or the wall shows it is staining or get soft etc.

My question is this. If i buy a late 90s vintage coach CC or any brand really, and I detect no issue. NO stains. No soft walls. No bulges in the siding. This is great but what if i own the coach and it starts to develop a leak? Should a very small silicone bead be put around the edge of the window frames ? Removing the frame would be the best way to clean the old gasket and reseal but that would be a huge task. what about where the roof wraps around and is seamed to the side wall? I know the slide outs have rubber gaskets that need to be inspected. if the coach is stored inside a lot that is obviously a good thing BUT rubber and silicone all dry out with age.

Maybe there is nothing to detect when purchased but something could show up in 2 years and you would have no idea......
I am planning to purchase an older coach and i have seen water damage in homes etc. It is a mess.
Just trying to plan ahead because even if you buy a 20 year old coach with no leaks it could start at any time.
I looked at a coach with a crack in the outer wall. I ran from that one. My point is these older coaches are going to start leaking. gaskets, silicone all dries out and shrinks. So at some point these 20 year old coaches should just have a major reseal of all windows and roof lines. I know the rubber roof deal needs maintenance every 5 years or so. SO what does it take to prep a solid older DRY coach to keep it that way? I am looking at CC coaches that is why i posted in this forum.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Rusty,
You should not only inspect for soft spots in siding, but also the current condition of all the caulking. The smallest hairline cracks in the Dicor sealant on the roof can make for big problems.

I would also spend some time inside the coach with it sealed up. Not only looking for stains on the roof, but also put your nose to the test by smelling for any mold or mildew smells. Seems like on a warm sunny day with the coach sealed up those smells really come to life inside the coach.

Also, I would recommend good covered storage when not in use. Not only does it keep the sun off your coach, but also keeps those strong winds with driving rain out. Can't believe all these storage facilities with nice expensive rv's just sitting there baking in the sun.

As far as the windows go my 02 has a small bead of caulk just on the top, and down the sides about 2 inches.

Good luck in your search, and take your time, you will know when you find the right one.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have one of the rigs you describe.

CC roofs are fiberglass caps. Therefore the most likely leaks are through-the-roof penetrations.

I have had a leak at my roof AC and at the Sat Antenna cable entrance. The leaks became apparent when the ceiling grew a stain of water and dust.

The remedy was to seal the entrance and shampoo the ceiling. The first leak was about 8 years ago.

Wall or window leaks have not been noticed. The molding that encompasses the roof cap and sidewall joints has sealant, that should be replaced occasionally. I have not resealed the windows during the past 14 years.

Any coach can develop a leak.

I suspect, a Country Coach from the 1990's is less likely to have a undiscovered water leak as long as you stick with a non-slide rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

Silicone is not good enough. Use only Dicor.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the information everyone.....Much appreciated....
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, vent, water, water leak