Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water pressure regulator

Well, I guess this is my week for stuff to fail. The front TV yesterday and today we are getting very low water pressure in the coach while hooked to the RV park hydrant with really good pressure and flow. So, I am thinking the Shuflo inline pressure regulator (mine is attached to the water inlet) is either crud clogged or has failed. We are running the pump and using our tank water for now.

Wondering if others have had this regulator fail after some years. I plan to try and find a replacement tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Hey Gary - Some regulators, not sure on yours, have the ability to be adjusted. My regulators at home (three of them) and of course on in the coach. I make a point to yearly adjust up/down the pressure. It breaks any build up loose. May be too late for you now, but if you have an adjustment on this unit, try moving it around some to see if it will shake anything loose.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hey Gary - Some regulators, not sure on yours, have the ability to be adjusted. My regulators at home (three of them) and of course on in the coach. I make a point to yearly adjust up/down the pressure. It breaks any build up loose. May be too late for you now, but if you have an adjustment on this unit, try moving it around some to see if it will shake anything loose.

Best,
Smitty
Just looking at what I can see from inside the wet bay, I don't see any adjustment. It is a Shurflo 183-020-14. From their website, there is no mention in their description of being able to adjust it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

There is a el cheapo anti siphon valve in line from the water inlet to either the filter or regulator. I don't remember the plumbing diagram but anyway, I had the thing come apart and it severely limited the water flow from the park supply
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Wondering if others have had this regulator fail after some years. I plan to try and find a replacement tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.
I have several regulators including a Sur-Flo INLINE which is identical to yours.

The little brass or plastic cylinder jobs, with or without the bright plastic grip, JUNK, not enough flow.

That Sur-Flo you have, when new I give it a 9 on the scale of 10 but yes.. They do "Age" and when that happens, Well. you are seeing what happens when that happens (At least one version of it).

They can be rebuilt, though I have yet to obtain a rebuild kit, but since they are bolted/screwed together they can be rebuilt.

ALSO, you may find you simply need to clean the inlet screen and/or a passage inside it.

OH, I have not yet tested a Valterra but most of the folks who have them are happy (not all)

I also have a Genuine Watts 3/4 inch I gave it a 10 when new and as it agged, See Sur-Flo above

I have a 1 year old ZURIN, also 3/4 inch (Was cheaper than the 1/2 inch model) and I give it a 10 as well. Basically the same as the Watts.. I am sure it will age,, I am looking for rebuild kids for all 3 of 'em.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Most if not all of those small "water regulators" are not true regulators but flow restrictions. You really need a diaphragm type regulator with a gauge. Also, usually in the inlet for your city water connection is a screen that over time gets clogged.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
Gary,
Recently I had a similar type problem as you, except I had no water on the hot water side. The cold water ran great, but I had no water at all on any faucet on the hot side. Everyone believed that it was the Mixing Valve. But it was not that valve. Between the water pump and inlet to the Hydro-Hot is a back flow valve. This valve stopped working and would not allow the water to flow from the water pump to the inlet on the Hydro-Hot.
Thinking there might be one also on the cold water side to the coach, you might want to find if there is one. The one on the water line near the Hydro-Hot was about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long and made of brass. It was in line on the plastic pipe that was connected to the Hydro-Hot. Let us know what you discover.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Well, it was a simple fix. I went out to top off the FW tank since DW wants to shower and wash some clothes. I decided to check the water inlet more thoroughly and the little screen was partially clogged. I removed it and voilà, good water flow returned. Actually, I pretty much destroyed the little screen getting it out but I use a double filtration system (sediment plus charcoal) so I don't think it will be needed.

So, as we all know, we will enjoy the time between when stuff breaks.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Glad it was a simple fix!

I looked thru receipts from the first owner, my regulator is non OEM. It's a Wilkens, with the dial knob, very similar to what I have on the home. Never realized it was non OEM!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
does anyone NOT run a flow regulator? Is high pressure really a problem at campsites?
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
does anyone NOT run a flow regulator? Is high pressure really a problem at campsites?
We bought our regulator after staying at a Colorado State CG where the pressure was almost 100 psi.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
This coach has one that was factory installed. In fact, I was not aware of that until recently and had been using the inline regulators on my hose. Just bought a new one before I saw the one installed in the coach .

There are places with high pressure. We stayed in an RV park in Baker City, OR where they warned us at registration that park pressure was often 100psi. They even had signs placed around the campground with that warning.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #13

do yourself a favor and replace the screen you trashed.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water