RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Water Pump Won't Shut Off

Starting last night my water pump won't shut off. I confirmed there are no leaks and the pump is essentially new at about a year old. I have never ran into an issue like this and have no idea where to start troubleshooting. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

If you just used the , fresh tank fill from city water valve , chances are it isn't closed properly; or won't close properly; and the pump is just circulating water back to the tank.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Unfortunately, not that easy. My 2000 CC fills by gravity fill only. Thanks for the thought.
Coach #10984
Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
Unfortunately, not that easy. My 2000 CC fills by gravity fill only. Thanks for the thought.
Are you saying that you can't fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water? You have to fill it with jugs of water gravity feed?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Are you sure???? My 1999 CC Allure has a valve on the left side about center left just below the hose connection. You turn that valve 90 degrees and you can fill the fresh water tank with the hose connected to the coach. I also have a gravity fill at the center top. As stated above if you leave the valve in the fill position it will cause the pump to run and never shut off (Have done this a couple of times on my coach). My buddy has a 2001 Intrigue and his has the same valve. If it is not the valve then the pump switch may be stuck. Had this happen a few times as well. Pull it apart and clean it and it usually will work again until the next time.
Hope this helped...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Community Moderator

if the pump had working and you didn't change anything, the failed pressure switch on the pump may be the cause. test to determine, replace it as needed.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Are you saying that you can't fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water? You have to fill it with jugs of water gravity feed?
I have a gravity fill opening next to city water connection. Stick the hose in and let 'er go.
Coach #10984
Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
if the pump had working and you didn't change anything, the failed pressure switch on the pump may be the cause. test to determine, replace it as needed.
Is the pressure switch physically part of the pump. Can it be replaced separately or do you have to replace the entire pump?
Coach #10984
Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Is the pressure switch physically part of the pump. Can it be replaced separately or do you have to replace the entire pump?
it's part of the pump. it can be replaced separately though very tight in the space.
the switch costs about $40. the entire pump costs about $70. depending on what kind of pump you have. i am talking about flojet pump 4406-143.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

Well I dug some more yesterday and my coach does have a fill valve. However, it's not mounted as others have said but hidden within the water pump enclosure itself up above the pump. You really can't see it. You have to feel for it. So obviously one of the previous owners had the bay replumbed.

My coach has the REMCO 55AQUAJET pump. I looked online and the pump is nearly $200. Obviously I'd prefer not to spend that much and I'm looking for just the pressure switch. Has anyone else replaced theirs and from whom did you purchase?
Coach #10984
Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #11

I did get a response from the pump manufacturer this morning so I thought I would share their response. I will try their bleeding suggestion this morning.

The warranty for this pump is 2 years from manufacture date and our records show the 55AQUAJET-ARV pump SN#13135071 was manufactured 09-09-2014 so unfortunately it is not covered under warranty any more.

We don’t typically see a pressure switch go bad on these pumps and your description of the issue is the pump is continuously running. If the pressure switch was bad it would not run at all. What you describe leads me to ask you if there is a pressure tank on the outlet side of the pump? This can cause the pump to continue to run and we recommend the tank be removed from the system. Other issues that cause a pump to continue to run is a leak on the suction side of the water pump plumbing at fittings or selector valves with seals that have dried out, you typically would not see a leak but because the pump is a positive displacement pump it will draw air into the system. You can diagnose this by simply put a hose on the inlet side of the pump and draw water from a bucket of water if the pump operates a designed you have an issue with air from the plumbing between the water tank and the pump. Another issue is air trapped in the pressure side of the water system, to remove all the air on the pressure side of the plumbing system turn the pump on open the closest faucet and then the next closest faucet or shower or toilet until all water outlets have water running for a few minutes and the close them down working form the farthest to the closet and be sure to include any outdoor showers or sinks in the process. This should relieve all the air pockets and the pump should then operate normally.

So you understand your pump better it is a “variable speed pump” that is controlled by an electronic controller. We do not offer any parts for these pumps because if a component is replaced the controller needs to be reset to factory specifications to work properly. We do not offer this service and why we offer a 2 year warranty on these AQUAJET pumps instead of a typical 1 year warranty.

You can replace the pump at several online sellers like Camping World, RV Upgrades, Fresh water systems or You can replace the pump at several online sellers like Camping World, RV Upgrades, Fresh water systems or Unbeatablesale.com.. Most Camping World stores carry the 55AQUAJET-ARV in stock or any RV Dealer who purchases products from NTP/Stag, Meyer Distributing, Keller Marine, National Wholesale Supply, Northern Wholesale or Six Robblee’s.

I hope I have explained our product and given you some options to resolve your pump running issues, if you have further questions I will do my best to answer them,
Coach #10984
Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #12

UPDATE;

After emailing back and forth with Bill (Burfman) with no success I took one of his last suggestions and pulled the pump this morning. Took it all apart and put it back together. Didn't find anything visually wrong. Put it back together and put it back in. Now seems to be working fine��. This is the type of mystery crap that has me bald from pulling my hair out but not complaining since I don't have to buy a $200 replacement pump (yet).

Now refilling the tank off of city water using the mystery valve I found buried in the bowels of the water pump enclosure.

Now awaiting Amazon delivery to replace one of my generator breakers.

Work never sleeps!
Coach #10984
Old 05-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My guess is you had a leak on the suction side. You probably tightened it sufficiently when you put it back together. I've experienced this in my previous RV. Different brand pump, same response from the manufacturer.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #14

Well after working for a few days it started running continuously again. New pump ordered.
Coach #10984

Tags
water, water pump