Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

Wax Valve Controller Fan

Very curious, does the fan controller have multiple speeds (low, medium or just high)

How does one know if the fan controller is running as we are driving down the road?

Coming out of Arizona to California, I suspect the temperature seems to be 5 degrees higher, and then the brain started going.

Thanks in Advanced
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #2

If you replaced your sauer danfos electronic controller with a wax valve . The wax valve is your only fan control and it is capible of varying the fan speed by the temperature of the radiator coolant returning to the top of the radiator. When I installed my wax valve I put an 1/8” needle valve in one of the hydronic lines going from the wax valve to the fan motor. By adjusting this valve the fan will go from slow to a flat out roar and any where in between. Normally I won’t mess with this valve but if I suspect the wax valve isn’t working i’ll Close the valve and the fan will run at the speed I set it. I believe your wax valve should be closing some where around 200 degrees to activate the fan.the engine thermostat should be trying to control the temperature by itself up to this temperature then the fan should start coming on.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Never did reach 200, the higher is really went to was 197. As I explained on the other forum, the DW drives and I watch for cows and think. Next time I am in for service (next month) I will try and get someone that knows this stuff to give me some knowledge. I would really like a gauge or something that shows me this is running.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

I can give you a quick update about my recent experience with a wax valve. I installed the Source Eng kit about a month ago while in Albuquerque . We just arrived in Virginia Beach having logged 2100 miles. The wax valve performed as expected with the engine temp (from the Silverleaf) ranging from 179 to 186. It held steady at 183 on level roads. Surprisingly my fuel usage went from a long term average of 8.1 mpg to 8.6 mpg over this 2100 mile trip. The fan still runs to fast with a cold engine but overall I’m very pleased. Jim Barone, 2001 Affinity (6004) 505 Hp Cat c12, currently workcamping in Virginia Beach.
James Barone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

I run around 185 after my wax valve install. Before I was around 175 cause my fan was on high all the time. It is definitely much more quiet! I got mine from source, installed it myself. 2000 Allure 330 isc
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I agree that the wax valve is better than the sour doss. Just want to make sure that everything is well, especially when I do not know how it works and I can't measure it.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Barone View Post
I can give you a quick update about my recent experience with a wax valve. I installed the Source Eng kit about a month ago while in Albuquerque . We just arrived in Virginia Beach having logged 2100 miles. The wax valve performed as expected with the engine temp (from the Silverleaf) ranging from 179 to 186. It held steady at 183 on level roads. Surprisingly my fuel usage went from a long term average of 8.1 mpg to 8.6 mpg over this 2100 mile trip. The fan still runs to fast with a cold engine but overall I’m very pleased. Jim Barone, 2001 Affinity (6004) 505 Hp Cat c12, currently workcamping in Virginia Beach.

The kit from Source does have a inline restrictor that will operate the fan speed at a level to allow for air movement through the CAC, and AC at start up. You can remove the restrictor if you so desire.
Doing so requires two things:

No A/C until your at full operating temp with fan speed at med/low to keep pressure levels down.

Easy on the throttle to keep the CAC temps down.

Removed the restrictor on a Cummins 400 ISL. No fan speed at start up. Never received any CAC warnings. Ran great. Temps were always in the 182 to 196. Removing the restrictor allowed for quicker operating temps during the winter months.

Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, valve