Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Wax valve help

Many of you have changed to a wax valve to control the hydrlic fan. My 2001 350 8.3 turbo gave us some trouble on a recent long trip. I disconnected the electronic controller to default to high speed and never saw 188.. So trying to find the correct wax controller and hope to install myself. I know about Source engineering kits. It is my understanding that the last three numbers are the temperature at which the valve will operate at. 210, 190, 150 and maybe others. My question is, will the 190 do the job, or do I need the 210.??? [Mod edit].
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The 190 will work. Why would you want the motor to get to 210 before the fan operates?
What is your plan for installation? Are you going to use the SE kit or fabricate your own?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

Talking to Source he told me that the valve starts opening at 170 and is fully open at 190 giving full fan speed. Mine runs at 184 during typical driving, 70 mph for me. Full load on hills the temp will raise to 188. This with outside temp at 85 degrees. Before the wax valve install it would seldom be under 190 and under load would climb above 202 if I didnít adjust my speed or gear. This at 70 degrees outside temp. Sometimes it would keep climbing above 210. The only negative so far is a drop in fuel mileage due to the fan running more but acceptable to me.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Wax Valve install

I did mine 3 years ago and very happy. 190deg was what I used.
Found a welder to install the fitting on the coolant elbow.
And I think I needed a additional hydraulic fitting but can't recall witch one.
Biggest PITA was draining the antifreeze about 7 gal till

i could the things apart.
Good luck
Old 10-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

What is the indication the old wax valve is failing. Do they go slowly or all at once. If slowly, a steady increase in running temp?
2001 Country Coach 40' Intrigue. #11304
Field of Dreams with factory four person dinette.
fzandome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine basically happened overnight. My fan went to high speed once the thermostat opened and sent hot coolant to the radiator. Thermovalve would open immediately and not close until everything cooled back down.

I talked to Monaco tech support when this happened and he had me do two tests.

I plugged both lines and the fan ran wide open.

I then put a union in between both hoses and the fan ran at an idle.
Based on this the Monaco Tech said the thermovalve was bad.

So I purchased a new one from Whitehouse Products and replaced. When I removed the old one I took it apart and found a piece of fabric in it probably from where Cummins had wrapped it in a rag when they changed my radiator.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve