Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Weight??

I had my rig weighed a few days ago and the front axle is a tad over..the rear drive and tag is well under..
My question is how can I adjust the tag to relieve some of the front weight?
Is it a DY job or is it a dealer job?
Marvin 07 allure 470 31459
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Readjust the load in your RV. What ever you have that is heavy in the front, move it closer toward the rear. Canned food in the cupboards for example.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You basically can't, there is not much you can do to the tag that will change the load on the front axle more than a pound or two.

YOU can move stuff from the front of the MH to the rear.. The farther back the better, if it is moved from in front then the weight of what you move goes off the front, and if you put it BEHIND the rear axles even more is transferred to the rear.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tag axle adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I had my rig weighed a few days ago and the front axle is a tad over..the rear drive and tag is well under..
My question is how can I adjust the tag to relieve some of the front weight?
Is it a DY job or is it a dealer job?
Marvin 07 allure 470 31459
Here is some reading on this http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/axle...ns-164005.html
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You basically can't, there is not much you can do to the tag that will change the load on the front axle more than a pound or two.

YOU can move stuff from the front of the MH to the rear.. The farther back the better, if it is moved from in front then the weight of what you move goes off the front, and if you put it BEHIND the rear axles even more is transferred to the rear.
This info is wrong. A Lot of weight can be changed with the tag.

What you need to do is start with making sure the ride height is correct. Then you can start playing with the tag pressures to eliminate the high weights on the front axle. This is something that cannot be done unless you have a set of scales. It would be best to find a shop that is familiar with adjusting tag axle weights.

I suggest you join the Yahoo Groups Country Coach forum and post your question there and let those with tag axle coaches weigh in. Lots of good info there.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same issue with my Allure. I weighed the coach on some CAT scales right after we got it and I was 14K on the front axle and I knew the weight max for the steer axle was 14,200. I moved as much heavy stuff as I could to the two compartments right in front of the drive axle but, as you know, the biggest storage compartment we have is the one right behind the steer axle . I had my local DMV Motor Carrier guy do individual wheel position weights and I was 13,800 on the front without either me or DW in the seats.

I plan to stop at HWH this spring to have them check my air leveling system and had planned to ask them if they can do any adjustment of the tag. If they can't, we had planned to see if anyone in Oregon can do it since there seems to be a bunch of places there familiar with our rigs.

With the tile floors, fuel tank, and the overall beefy construction of these coaches, I suspect most of them are at or over the front axle weight rating. And, it is not an issue unique to CC..... many others have same issue.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have the same issue with my Allure. I weighed the coach on some CAT scales right after we got it and I was 14K on the front axle and I knew the weight max for the steer axle was 14,200. I moved as much heavy stuff as I could to the two compartments right in front of the drive axle but, as you know, the biggest storage compartment we have is the one right behind the steer axle . I had my local DMV Motor Carrier guy do individual wheel position weights and I was 13,800 on the front without either me or DW in the seats.

I plan to stop at HWH this spring to have them check my air leveling system and had planned to ask them if they can do any adjustment of the tag. If they can't, we had planned to see if anyone in Oregon can do it since there seems to be a bunch of places there familiar with our rigs.

With the tile floors, fuel tank, and the overall beefy construction of these coaches, I suspect most of them are at or over the front axle weight rating. And, it is not an issue unique to CC..... many others have same issue.
We are full time now and have arranged as much as possible,compartments and interior, I had each wheel weight. I am just a tad (400) lb over on front and under about 2k on the drive, seems a slight adjustment would fix the problem. Let me know if you find any good news.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Here is a quote from the instructions for adjusting tag axle weight on a Roadmaster chassis, but the physics are the same on all chassis:
"Tag Axle Motorhome (Roadmaster Chassis):
Motorhomes equipped with a tag axle will require adjustment to the air
pressure regulator for the tag axle. Adjustment of the regulator helps maintain
proper axle weight distribution ratios. The adjustable regulator and gauge
package is located in the engine compartment on the driver side. The regulator
controls the amount of air pressure in the tag axle air bags. Increasing the regulator
air pressure gauge reading increases the amount of air pressure in the
tag axle air bags, which increases the downward force of the tag axle.
Applying more downward force to the tag axle increases the weight carried by
the tag axle. Increasing the weight carried by the tag axle decreases the weight
carried by the drive axle and increases the weight transferred to the front steering
axle."

Here is the link to the entire article: General Information Weight Addendum (Monaco/Roadmaster)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

Think of your motorhome as a see-saw with the rear axle as the pivot. When the tag axle goes down, it causes the rear of the coach to go up , and the front to go down. Reducing the pressure on the tag axle will reduce the load on the front axle. If there is no load on the tag, and you are still overweight on the front axle, your only option is to redistribute weight.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Think of your motorhome as a see-saw with the rear axle as the pivot. When the tag axle goes down, it causes the rear of the coach to go up , and the front to go down. Reducing the pressure on the tag axle will reduce the load on the front axle. If there is no load on the tag, and you are still overweight on the front axle, your only option is to redistribute weight.
About 8700lb on the tag, 17000 on the drive axle, so with a slight adjustment to lessen the tag weight would be the favorable fix..Question is how to adjust the tag air pressure? Some chassis's have an adjustment. I have not located one on this coach. Not a huge problem, 400# over on front with full tanks..would like to correct if possible.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #11

Not all chassis are the same, in regards to tag pressure adjustments. I've read conflicting posts on how easy, or not, tag pressure adjustments are for Dynomax chassis.

I recall one poster on the Yahoo CC User Group commenting that he had modifications, running lines to the passenger side rear compartment that also holds the fuel filters, where he could then add/remove pressure as he wanted. This was in an early 200x year coach.

I'd be interested to hear conclusively if adjustments to Dynomax Tags is doable? And if so, who has the skills and equipment to do so?

Our 2004 Allure is OK all around on weights, but the back passenger tag's weight is almost double that of the drivers side. While the drive axles are much closer in weight, with the driver side being just a bit heavier. (Don't have the 6 corner (yeah 4, but I say 6 due to the Tag's) weights with me, but due recall the odd imbalance. The coach handles well, tire PSI's are all correct for the highest axle side weight. That being said, I wonder if the passenger side tag's pressure some how has more pressure in it then is should, and thus carrying more of the back passenger side weight then it should...

I've be interested in hearing from other CC owners, that have actually had their Tag's pressure successfully adjusted.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Smitty,

Interesting that you had the same passenger side imbalance as I. When I had my true 6 position weights, my passenger tag was quite a bit more heavy than the driver side (don't have the weights in front of me).

The difference in weight was more than what I estimated the weight of the batteries but both the coolant and the hydraulic fluid reservoirs are on the right side of the coach....maybe that had something to do with it.

Nevertheless, I posed two questions to the tech support guy at CC:

1. possible reasons for the significant different in tag weights

2. is the tag pressure adjustable and, if yes, how is it done?

I never got a response to those questions.

I plan to ask Kevin Waite since I subscribe to his annual technical support plan. I also have an appointment soon to have the ride heights checked/adjusted per specs and to address a problem with my front travel height. I am hoping perhaps they can help me address the question of tag adjustment.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Smitty,

Interesting that you had the same passenger side imbalance as I. When I had my true 6 position weights, my passenger tag was quite a bit more heavy than the driver side (don't have the weights in front of me).

The difference in weight was more than what I estimated the weight of the batteries but both the coolant and the hydraulic fluid reservoirs are on the right side of the coach....maybe that had something to do with it.

Nevertheless, I posed two questions to the tech support guy at CC:

1. possible reasons for the significant different in tag weights

2. is the tag pressure adjustable and, if yes, how is it done?

I never got a response to those questions.

I plan to ask Kevin Waite since I subscribe to his annual technical support plan. I also have an appointment soon to have the ride heights checked/adjusted per specs and to address a problem with my front travel height. I am hoping perhaps they can help me address the question of tag adjustment.
Batteries, on the passenger side, l have 4-8D plus starting batteries approx 700lbs..
Side to side adjustment not doable on tag axle.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
TTD

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was searching for an answer to a question and this thread seemed appropriate.

My original question is, How do I weigh my coach? I see the scales at lots of the truck stops I get fuel at, but getting fuel is so hectic I usually don't have time/space to get to the scales and once there, I'd be trying to figure it all out.

Is this what most people use? the truck stop scales? If so, what's the procedure (usually I am pulling a toad, but not always... does the system change?)

And lastly, was there a final answer on whether we can adjust our tag pressures?
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight