Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wet PTO, front axle and air leveling questions

Looking at a 2009 Magna Vivaldi with the 650 Cummins. Dealer says the 650's came with the wet conversion already in place. Is that true? Besides looking at the rig and it's a ways to go drive, how can I verify it?

Front axle is the Reyco-Granning IFS2000S2 and 365/70 tires. Any known problems with this setup? At rest the steering wheel has more play than I would call normal.

How much travel does the air leveling have? Our favorite spot in our favorite campground requires that I put 2 -3" blocks under the rear tires in order to level and I know the air suspension doesn't have that much travel. Would hate not to be able to park there in the future! I talked to them several years ago about getting the spots leveled and was told they were going to do it next year, now it's several years later and still not done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

The suspension rides in the middle of 7 or 8 inches of bag so with the front down about 4 inches and the back up about 4 you can get 7 or 8 inches between the axles or vise versa. As far as pto they might be correct. I know they were updating coaches in 08 to wet so it would make sense they were doing 09s at the factory.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
The air leveling system does have its limitations. I do know we had more leveling ability with our previous DP with hydraulic jacks. We carry some of those stackable plastic leveling blocks to put under the wheels but have not had to use them in the 2 years we've had this coach.

We do love the air leveling. It is so nice not have to worry about putting down blocks under jack pads on soft ground.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Not sure on that year and model CC, but many times, especially in the rear, the limiting factor on how far the rear will rise - is the shocks range. Many Yahoo CC User Groups reported snapping shocks in the 2003-200? era coaches. And a few, never even knew they had snapped the shock, until many months later! Limit chains or cables were added by some owners.

I went with the Road Kings all around, and waited to see if we had a problem. Not sure if it is because of beefier components, or more range on the shocks rod, but have not broken one on our 04 Allure 40' with Tag.

I use boards too, on those sites that need it.

Sorry, no knowledge on the other two questions!
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The air leveling system does have its limitations. I do know we had more leveling ability with our previous DP with hydraulic jacks. We carry some of those stackable plastic leveling blocks to put under the wheels but have not had to use them in the 2 years we've had this coach.

We do love the air leveling. It is so nice not have to worry about putting down blocks under jack pads on soft ground.
I tried those stacking blocks ONCE under the jacks on our present DSDP. Two high and it just crushed them, gave the remaining ones to my son for his TT.
Maybe under the tires? But the drive axle tires are 315/70's and the tag and front are 365/70's on the Magna and they're far wider than those plastic blocks.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I tried those stacking blocks ONCE under the jacks on our present DSDP. Two high and it just crushed them, gave the remaining ones to my son for his TT.
Maybe under the tires? But the drive axle tires are 315/70's and the tag and front are 365/70's on the Magna and they're far wider than those plastic blocks.
Yepper, you would probably need some short pieces of 2 X 12's. I have 295/80's and they just fit on the plastic blocks. I suspect the rear wheels might break them. With the larger coaches, I think we generally find larger sites that are mostly level. I do know that on our cross country trip this past summer, we never had a site that exceeded our leveling capability.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Yepper, you would probably need some short pieces of 2 X 12's. I have 295/80's and they just fit on the plastic blocks. I suspect the rear wheels might break them. With the larger coaches, I think we generally find larger sites that are mostly level. I do know that on our cross country trip this past summer, we never had a site that exceeded our leveling capability.
The drive tires are 315/80's, the front and tag are 365/80's as I remember. I'm thinking my blocks made from 2X12's and plywood are going to be just a little too narrow for the tires. I made them for our drive 275/70's and front 305/70's we now have. Guess I'll be looking for some more plywood!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Wet PTO

Mr_D,
Cummins uses a wet PTO versus the dry PTO of CAT. You might contact Kevin Waite at 5419536162 or send him an email at kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com. Kevin use to be with Country Coach and he can answer your questions about this Magna. If you have not had it inspected you can talk with him about doing a PDI for you.
Sincerely,
Reese Cantrell
rcantrell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Reese:
Where is Kevin Waite located? Might just get hold of him if he's close to Junction City. My concern is the reports on the ISX flat cams. But there are thousands of these engines out there too so maybe it's just an odd failure.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Kevin is in Junction City. His shop is about 4 miles from Country Coach and Premier.

He does RV inspections and is a great source for info and assistance.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
GREAT INFO!! Thanks guys.

Still trying to get info on the stuff installed since Premier doesn't have the manuals yet.

I thought Kevin was close by going by the phone # but anymore even that's not much help.

Just sent Kevin an email.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
If you call Country Coach and give them the coach serial #, they can tell you everything about what was installed on the coach when it left their factory. I do believe they charge for the information. I know they told me what radiator was put on mine when I had a question about whether it was the new, improved rad or one of the trouble-prone units.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #13

Wet PTO

Mr_D,
Country Coach will charge you $30 for ordering a build sheet from them. It is a good investment. The information that the build sheet provides is very helpful. Keep in mind that after Country Coach went bankrupt they still had coaches on the production line and those were sold during the auction. Therefore, some of the last Country Coach's produce were not completed by Country Coach. Country Coach can provide you that information. Make sure you have the coach number and vin number before calling.
Sincerely,
Reese
Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #14

Wet PTO

Mr._D,
Even though I do not own a Country Coach we are in the market for a coach and Country Coach is an option that we are considering. I have exchanged emails and telephone calls several times with Kevin and he has been extremely helpful.
He has a brother in law that is in the motorhome business in central Florida that is very knowledgeable about Country Coach.
Sincerely,
Reese

Tags
leveling