Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

What CC to buy next, we listed ours today and are debating

Soooooo, after many years and many many miles we listed our beloved CC Concept today.

Why, sadly as we have grown she just does not fit our needs as well as she used to.
When I bought her we had a wish list she fit to a T,
We wanted:
1. a heavy chassis
2. fiberglass roof
3. steel construction, love the tank like quality of ours or monocoque (not sure how to spell it)
4. no slides no problems
5. Top quality Coach (country coach)
6. bulletproof engine/trans

Now we have a new set of requirements for a new country coach
1. ability to climb mountains at faster than 35 mph
2. fiberglass roof
3. slides, more the better
4. heavy chassis
5. bigger fridge
6. higher towing capacity
7. bulletproof engine/trans prefer 6 speed
8. not concerned with being under 36 anymore as it has never been the issue we thought it would.
9. prefer tag for ride quality, we run mostly open highway
10. newer but not a million, so on the sweeter end of the depreciation curve
11. owned by a CC maintenance nut like us.
12. no to much after market crud to go wrong that I have to figure out.
13. ability to cruise comfortably at 65+, the concept will do it but its a little rough and the mpg falls off a cliff from 9.8 over about 64
yes a know that's really good and most never coaches don't get that, as point of fact it seems most other Concepts don't as well but outs seems to avg 10 mpg if we go easy. Seattle to Wisconsin on a tank of gas is just friggin cool.

Curious to hear the recommendations of my fellow CC'ers
We have been kinda liking the 2002-2005 affinity, we have looked at a few of the 2006-2007 coaches as well.

Open to all ideas and opinions and thanks in advance for your input. I know this has been discussed before but we certainly want to hear what poeple have to say as their coaches age. We worked really hard to get our Concept up to speed and would not hesitate to take it anywhere, anytime in any weather
Want the same thing with a little more comfort and space

Maybe a few more things to add
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

my vote - 2007 magna 630 either rembrant or gallileo, quad slides, 45', with a pre-epa engine cat c13 (otherwise you would have no choice but an isx600, which you should avoid).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

When we were looking 8-9 years ago, we wanted Pre Heavy Smog changes, Tag, and 40-42' in length. (More for where we store the coach, others wise a 45' would have been fine too.).

I felt the sweet spot in the CC line up at that time, was the Intrigue. Because you could get them with he BIG BLOCK CAT. As mentioned the before heavy smog modified C13's kicked in. Or even a very mature lifecycle C12 (But as I recall, the C12 was not available in the Intrigue(?), they started with the C13, I think (So fact check that one on Smitty - it's been 8-9 years now!).

A 42' 3 slided Magna with the C12 (2003 model) or a 40-42' Intrigue/Magna with C13, (Possibly up to early 2005 year model. Get the engine SN and check with CAT on what level of 'stuff' is on that engine... An early 2005 could still have the earlier smog level C13.) would be on my short list. And by going a bit older, perhaps a bit less expensive. Reserve some funds to make any interior modifications you want to make it 'your coach'. Say adding a residential fridge! Upgraded electronics, change out carpeting if needed, etc.).

(And note: The Affinity of those years interiors did not usually match what my wife and I like. Many Magna's we did not like the interiors of either, but for sure that is a personal thing. The Affinity with C10-C13 may be something you two like the interiors of, and for sure - as the top dog, they're a finely built coach. Heck, I believe B Bob has his coach for sell in Southern California(?), he has taken good care of his Affinity!!!)

Happy hunting on the new one, and know you will miss the classic lines and feeling of having had such a classic with the Concept!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

If you are looking at those vintage Affinity/Magna, have you thought about a Prevost conversion? You would find many in that price class, whether a CC or other converter. Just one thing, if you really don't want to go that way, make sure you don't test drive one!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
If you are looking at those vintage Affinity/Magna, have you thought about a Prevost conversion? You would find many in that price class, whether a CC or other converter. Just one thing, if you really don't want to go that way, make sure you don't test drive one!
As a previous CC owner, Peralko has the experience...

How have the costs of maintenance been for you with the Prevost, compared to the CC's you had?

Best to you (Do you still remember the secret CC handshake?),
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Smitty about the Intrigue being the sweet spot for CC. If we were looking to replace our Allure, I would try to find an Intrigue. I like their exterior styling and the fact that they, like the Allure, don't seem to overdo the interior.....we have more conservative tastes in design. Some of the Magna's and Affinity's we've peeked into are a bit too fu fu for our tastes. Plus, you get a big block power plant with the Intrigue. My ISL gets us down the road but something with 500 horses and a bit more torque would really be nice.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
As a previous CC owner, Peralko has the experience...

How have the costs of maintenance been for you with the Prevost, compared to the CC's you had?

Best to you (Do you still remember the secret CC handshake?),
Smitty
We bought our Affinity five years old, so we did not spend a lot of money initially on it. We averaged around $6,000 a year in maintenance on the Affinity. This coach was 16 years old when we got it, so we spent quite a bit zeroing it out--replacing airbags, shocks, updating ACs etc. Oil changes, lubrication and simple maintenance is not much different. Some of the items are cheaper. Our friends had a 2010 Allure--replacing the windshield was over $5,000, We have a four-piece windshield, each piece costs around $350. He needed a new radiator for the Allure--it had to be custom-made. We had to replace our radiator when Prevost went through the coach--they had one in stock. Cost was about the same. We like having Prevost and Marathon within 300 miles of home, and Prevost never has any problem getting parts. We test drove a 45-foot Affinity at the factory 5 years ago, nice, but no comparison to the Prevost. much steadier on the road, and from what I've heard from Affinity and Magna owners, mileage is similar.
We cheered for Ron Lee, and hoped he would make CC come back, but between him selling out, and the troubles we heard of with the Cummins 600hp engines, we gave up on CCs. We loved our Affinity--it was a very good coach, but we are happy with this. We also found the extra 4+ feet was no big deal. But all the best to all the CC owners--we have some CC Prevosts here in Driggs ID, where we're waiting on the eclipse.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the overview of Prevost ownership. I think if I was a bit younger and looking for a coach, I would look harder at them (used of course). It was very easy to peek into the Marathon lot in Coburg last year and ponder the possibilities.

Not surprised on the cost of a windshield for that Allure. I figured this huge glass we have would make my eyes bleed if I ever have to replace it. It would not hurt my feelings if they had used a two piece w/s. We would still have plenty of view. Just seemed to be the 'trendy' thing to do.

At this point (age 67) just hoping the Allure holds up long enough to take us to the end of our adventures.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #9

Very pleased with our 07 Intrigue and, although the C13 engine has plenty of power to push us up the mountain passes in Oregon, it is a thirsty engine, sucking up fuel to the tune of about 5.75 mpg. Of course, while most of us may prefer better mpg, that isn't the reason we purchased the unit we did.

Just had our windshield replaced to the tune of about $3400 (thankfully we were only liable for our deductible). Had RV Glass Solutions in Coburg replace it after we developed a huge crack down the center from a rock chip. Wish I had taken a walk over to the Marathon plant while I was there, but that is some serious dreaming to consider one of those babies!

Did get the opportunity to tour a club member's CC Prevost conversion (forget what year it was). What a beauty, but 4 more years of higher education to understand the mechanics of it was daunting (kidding of course).
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Just a quick follow-up; you can buy a Prevost for a lot less than you may think. While the new ones list at $2.2M or more, you can buy used ones for less than $100k on up. They are all built to passenger bus standards, and can be serviced a lot of different places besides the Prevost shops.
BTW, average mileage on our coach over 31,000+ miles is 6.73 MPG. We normally cruise at 68 MPH when conditions allow.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't count out the ISX 600, it's the 650 like I have that's prone to breaking valves off in #6 cyl. Haven't heard about that in the 600. Seems like that last 50 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque comes at a high cost. In engine reliability.
My fuel mileage is 7.6 over 47,000 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wouldn't count out the ISX 600, it's the 650 like I have that's prone to breaking valves off in #6 cyl. Haven't heard about that in the 600. Seems like that last 50 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque comes at a high cost. In engine reliability.
isx600 appears to have a lower rate of occurrence than isx650's but i did read reports of dropped valves on isx600. here is one at this site:

"Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo BC has a motorhome in the shop right now with an ISX 600 with a dropped valve. I think the owner just bought the rig from Alberta and didn't quite make it home.
You might want to give Kenworth a call at 1-250-758-5288 to compare notes
."

copied from isx dropped valve at #6 post.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #13

I am open to the Prevost as well. I am not sure who said it but I am seeing that some of the interiors are just to foo foo. Too much... I don't know but I just feel like they are trying to hard to impress and we are needing it to be livable.
I have looked at several now and we are just digesting floor plans we like. I have really walked in one yet and had it impress me to the point I could not pass up. I have a feeling we will know it when we see it.
I have not looked at a Prevost yet but I will put it on my list. I think there are a couple around Seattle that might be fore sale.
I think we are thinking cat 12-13 pre-smog
Could I get a little more clarification on where the distinction lies. I am still trying to understand the 12-13-15 in terms of hp and fuel econ
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #14

The C13 Cat has 525hp and 1650lbs/ft torque and a max around 50psi Boost. Expect 6.5mpg loaded and towing. Most hills are at 50mph in 5th, or 45 in 4th. The Jake BraKe is 3 position, 2, 4 or 6 cylinders, and will maintain speed on most grades, but may need application of the service brake when grades exceed 7%. Ours is set to operate in 5th gear for highway speeds.

The Intrigue has a comfy decor, little or no glitz. I have not looked at a lot of other years or models, except walking thru a scad of various class A units in Junction City, but the 06 Intrigue just felt right when we first entered it. Pre-emissions engine is nice. Just had some folks thru the interior who did the ooh and aah and did not believe not was 11 years old, it still looked new to them. Excellent build quality, good maintenance.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote