Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #15

It is for a block heater. It will keep my engine at about 130 deg in 20 deg weather. You can check to see if it will work by putting an ohm meter across the hot and neutral terminals, not on the ground terminal. You should show a reading. If it shows open then it will not heat the engine. then it will be time to investigate.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Great news confirmed again, thanks Steven. I will do the test, hopefully it is in place and working
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Great news confirmed again, thanks Steven. I will do the test, hopefully it is in place and working
In doing a test, take into consideration there may be a circuit breaker, an on/off switch, or both, in the circuit between your socket and the actual heating element.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Now that the consensus states that it should be for the engine block heater, does that mean that you have to use an extension cord plugged into the pedestal or some other location with the female end plugged into this socket?

If so, I think that it's kind of a lame system/method especially for a Country Coach.

My Monaco Windsor has an electric engine block heater which is not being used because my Aqua-Hot has an Engine Pre-Heat feature for that purpose. However, if it were to be used, the male plug of the block heater plugs into a duplex electrical box in my engine compartment. Then the duplex is activated by a switch on the driver's dash which uses a relay to send 120 VAC power to the duplex.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
if there is not out side 110 plugs and it looked on passenger side i say its just for 110 power for if you are out side
just plug some thing in if you have power then its for out side power for a TV or any thing you want when out side like lighting
terry735001
A 120VAC connecter like this:

is an electrical "inlet", (not an outlet).

If it is wired correctly it will not"supply" 120VAC power to anything.
That connector in a coach bay is there to supply 120V power TO something in the coach via an extension cord.

The question is what?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a Fleetguard filter on the other side of the metal box beside the INLET (by the way that is called an INLET, never to be confused with an OUTLET, Never use an OUTLET as an INLET (or the other way around).

Thus I am thinking the engine is on the other side of teh back panel.

And thus support the engine heater

What is the device just below the INLET with the hose going to it? If this is what I think it is (No, I won't say) It is very clearly a heater inlet.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
What is the device just below the INLET with the hose going to it? If this is what I think it is (No, I won't say) It is very clearly a heater inlet.
wa8yxm
The "device just below the INLET with the hose going to it" is your engine Air Filter Restriction Gauge.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
Old 01-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, let me pose this possibility. Assuming the OP's Intrigue has an Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot with the engine preheat function, perhaps a prior owner added an electric block heater. Maybe when the coach was in storage with Aqua Hot turned off they wanted to be able to keep the engine oil warm???
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
OK, let me pose this possibility. Assuming the OP's Intrigue has an Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot with the engine preheat function, perhaps a prior owner added an electric block heater. Maybe when the coach was in storage with Aqua Hot turned off they wanted to be able to keep the engine oil warm???
The '00 coach was not available with the Aqua Hot or the Hydro Hot.

The plug in question was factory installed! Same as my "02 Intrigue.

Here is my "mystery" plug which I know what it is for. I guess what chaps me on this is that people that do not own a CC are here making a wild guess as to what the plug is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000985.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	53588  
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Thank you all for the info Seeing Don's photo, yeah it's the same thing. Obviously it's installed by factory. Good to know I have a block heater there
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Thank you all for the info Seeing Don's photo, yeah it's the same thing. Obviously it's installed by factory. Good to know I have a block heater there
Easy way to find out. Plug it in and wait a couple of hours. Then turn the key on and check the temp gauge for above ambient temp.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
smlranger
I agree that the OP's pictured socket, (aka: 120V power inlet), may be for an electric block heater.

However, I thought that both the Aqua Hot and the Hydro Hot can/will operate on electric, and therefore either can be used to electrically heat the engine if/when the coach has 120VAC power.
Am I wrong?

Mel
'96 Safari, propane furnace, electric block heater
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I guess what chaps me on this is that people that do not own a CC are here making a wild guess as to what the plug is.
dons2346
I'm sure that any wild guess replies, (aka: suggestions), from people who don't own the same CC as the OP are sincerely trying to help.
IMO, if no one with exactly the same coach posts the correct answer, a wild guess is more helpful than no idea at all.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
dons2346
I'm sure that any wild guess replies, (aka: suggestions), from people who don't own the same CC as the OP are sincerely trying to help.
IMO, if no one with exactly the same coach posts the correct answer, a wild guess is more helpful than no idea at all.
Mel
'96 Safari

X2 .... ya' never know when that guess, even if not correct, will lead to a solution. The OP (any OP) is free to pick and choose those suggestions he wants to pursue.