Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #1

What non-factory mods have you done to your coach.

I have always kinda been loath to add non-factory things to my coach, mostly because I think the original stuff lasted 30 years so why not stick with the proven item. That said, I have relented and added a few mods I like and am planning a few more. Curious what others have done.

1. I added a rearview mirror so I can glance up and see what is happening in the coach behind me. While his might sound odd, If I see someone up, I am might ask for something or see who or what made a noise. I like it so far.
2. I added new cupholders for the driver, again sounds odd but the one that came with the coach sucks.
3. I replaced the 100lb metal fan with a 6lb plastic fan that moves 2x the air... Best fix I have done for the coach and way easier on the hydraulics.
4. replace the factory headlights with LED, the issue I have is deer, the factory lights were not that bright and it was just too hard to see critters at night

I have a few more on the roadmap bu would love to hear what others have done.
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

Not sure which "metal fan" you are referring to. Details?

Agree with you about the headlights, we have a firm rule no driving too early or too late or I'd change too.

I have been trying to find one of those optional swing out trays that mounted on the right side of the dash with no luck. Had one on our last coach and loved it.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We upgraded to a smart thermostat for the basement AC and heating. When the rig is live and plugged in, and on Internet, we can monitor and adjust the temperature while out on an excursion.

We installed a manual thermostat for the gas furnace, which allows us to bypass the freeze timer on the heat pump. Sometimes, you don’t want to wait ten minutes for the heat pump to decide that it is too cold to operate before it switches to furnace.

We replaced almost all of the cigarette lighter 12v sockets with dual usb sockets.

We installed catalytic propane heaters in main salon and bathroom areas. No power required when boondocking. Just crack a window or vent somewhere.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Not sure which "metal fan" you are referring to. Details?
The hydraulic engine e fan on our coach was metal and very heavy. It does not move as much air as a modern plastic fan that is also way lighter so not so hard on the hydraulic systems when it starts and stops

Great ideas so far. I will have to look into the propane heater idea, that sounds interesting
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #5

Oh, geeze. What's the old saying? "How do I improve thee? Let me count the ways."

Ummmm, thinks while tapping chin with finger . . . .

Replaced 5x7 sealed beam headlight with LED unit.
*Added small light bar on the front bumper.
Switched original driving lights with LED models
Gutted all interior fluorescent lights and installed LED strips
Swapped Halogen puck lights with LEDs
Changed out rear floods with LED
Changed out original 1156 and 1157 tail light bulbs to LED
*Installed LED awning light and step lights.
*Added LED backlight to Safari Lion logo on the front grill.
Added LED under cabinet lighting in the kitchen with a dimmer.
Added LED strip lighting above interior slide trim with dimmer.
Humm, I'm sensing a pattern here. My wife accuses me of having a light fetish. Not sure where she got that idea.
Removed factory curtains had power shades installed.
*Had removable exterior sun shades installed.
Swapped out both TVs for Flat screen.
*Added Surround sound system.
Swapped out obsolete roof mount dish for new one.
*Added roof mounted wifi booster.
Swapped out crank up - "Oops, forgot it was up" TV antenna with a "Jack."
Replaced original back up camera with 3 camera model.
Swapped out original Convection Microwave with a compact microwave, used the extra space for a shelf and spice rack.
Removed carpet in entry area and installed vinyl planks.
Installed residential refrigerator.
*Installed 600 watts of solar and battery monitor.
Swapped out old modified sine wave inverter for pure sine wave.
Swapped out original general purpose 12v deep cycle house batteries for 6V AGM true deeps cycle batteries.
*Add small second house battery charger that could be run by small generator.
*Install Tire pressure monitor.
*Added Roadmaster steering stabilizer.
*Installed two propane lines with quick disconnects for catalytic heaters for boondocking.
Upgraded water pump to variable speed, 5 chamber model.
*Added "fake" glass tile backsplash in kitchen.
Converted closet above washer/drier into a pantry with shelving.
Added baskets and shelving to other closets.
Installed motion detectors to closet lights.
*Installed some shelving under the kitchen sink.
*Added a couple thin strips across the fronts of bathroom shelving to prevent stuff from falling out when you open the door after travel.
*Added several wall mounted USB chargers.
*Added book shelf with two small fans above the bed.
*Added His and Hers bulletin boards in the bedroom.
*Added cup holder to the driver's side.
*Added sunglass/phone holder baskets next to driver and passenger seats.
*Built a small corner shelf at the end of the couch for an alarm clock and a small stuffed monkey. (The monkey make sense in a minute)
*Added a couple small coat hooks in the front.
*Added a second more convenient water pump switch in the bathroom.
Upgraded to a programmable thermostat in the main living zone.
Added a "Vortex fan" to the toilet room.
*Added bluetooth module to bedroom Bose Wave radio.
*Added extra sewer hose holder for extra sewer hose.
Removed the L shaped couch and replaced with a small recliner and computer cabinet/desk. My mini "Man-corner."
*Glued an assortment of animals one might encounter on a safari in various places around the interior because after all, our RV is a Safari, so why not go with the theme? Doesn't the monkey make sense now?
Phew! I'm sure I'm missing some little stuff.

Items marked with a * are an addition, as opposed to an upgrade on a factory install item.

The above list may sound like it contradicts the following; - I've always been one who is resistant to making permanent modification to something that can't be easily undone, I try to do improvements on two ways. First, if it's of a permanent nature, make it look factory installed. For other, more personal modifications or additions, make it removable and install it in a manner that it will leave little or no evidence that it was there. As an example: The His and Hers bulletin boards are installed over the top of the factory installed mirrors on either side of the headboard. I chose places to install small mounting screws that won't be seen when removed, or can be filled with a dab of wood putty.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Not to list those heavy ones I did such as big solar, residential fridge and whole vinyl flooring... Just a few small items..

(1) The OE light switch in restroom was under the window, far from entrance. I moved it to the left end right inside the entrance.

(2) Added a switch for water pump in toilet room.

(3) Instead of only one 30a hot wire from main control panel to the inverter, I replaced it with two 30a hot wires. Now it pass through 2 x30a in split phase.

(4) Added a 120v outlet at the tail opposite to the 7-pin socket around the hitch receptacle. Convenient for charging EV.

(5) There used to be one 12v socket on one side of the bed, added another at the other side. Also added one on the side of the kitchen counter, facing the couch.

Have fun tinkering
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Community Moderator

astrnmrtom - I'll go through your list to see what ideas I could borrow .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrylife View Post
The hydraulic engine e fan on our coach was metal and very heavy. It does not move as much air as a modern plastic fan that is also way lighter so not so hard on the hydraulic systems when it starts and stops

Great ideas so far. I will have to look into the propane heater idea, that sounds interesting
That's very interesting on the fan. What year and model is your coach and what engine? Nice thing about metal fans: they don't crack like plastic ones and replacing the fan on my Magna at least was a b**** of a job even for a professional. If I could have obtained a metal fan I would have had him put one in.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #9

What non-factory mods have you done to your couch.

re upholstered it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

Oh this is gonna be a long list.... I bought my 2003 Monaco in 2012 and I think I might be finally getting close to what LazyDays would have tried charging me for it, without making ANY of the repairs or mods that I've done.

Full LED conversion on anything that lit up. Headlights, fogs, markers, tails, interior - if it had a bulb, it has an LED now. I think I might still have a couple of the storage bay lights that need the bulbs swapped, but I have the bulbs already.
Replaced 2 deep cycle and 2 engine batteries with 8 GC2 batteries, all wired into one system. (there was a circuit drain on the engine side I couldn't find that bypassed the cutoff so it made sense)
Added 1020 watts of solar on the roof.
Victron Inverter, solar controller, Cerbo power manager, battery monitor
custom wireless router with tethered cell phone for continuous internet
Residential fridge
Replaced the living room wall (water damage) from just behind the entry door all the way to the kitchen (about 8 feet) and reinsulated the entire wall section with hard foam
Replaced ALL the flooring with waterproof SmartCore Naturals flooring (very nice oak)
Removed sofa and dinette, replaced with power recliner and another bed
Removed front TV cabinet (empty) and custom-built into an 8-inch-tall cabinet for the AV stuff, with flat screen mount just behind the windshield
Built ventilation system for AV and internet cabinet (router is over driver's seat)
Installed weather center, with solar-powered wind / temperature sender on roof
Removed useless powered satellite antenna (old crank-up style but with motor instead)
Removed batwing TV antenna, replaced with fixed style - haven't used it since 2015, so that was kinda a dumb purchase
Replaced all roof vents with Maxxair vents
Replaced Dometic AC units with Carrier AC units
Removed cabinet just behind living room slide, rebuilt with larger and deeper, drawer and deeper lower compartment, custom epoxy resin countertop
Removed LP furnace, replaced with diesel-powered heater
Replaced LP lines from tank with flexible fuel-rated hose - now feeding only water heater and stove
Replaced supply line to LP tank (ruptured from age) with 1500 psi air brake line
Remote-mounted (and MUCH larger) fuel filter and oil filter for generator. Now the filters are accessible on the front partition while standing up.
Installed drain valves on both engine and generator oil drains
Installed FASS fuel pump / filters in place of factory primary filter.
Bypassed factory "lift pump" on engine.
Added a "Goldenrod" pre-filter canister with screen filter element before FASS pump
Replaced dash air conditioner hose and dryer canister which had clogged system with little dryer beads - dash air is frosty now!
Replaced factory 255/75/22.5 tires with 295/75/22.5
Shaved a bit off the forward air bag mounts to allow clearance for slightly larger steer tires
Replaced shoddy factory steering box with TRW adjustable steering box
discovered failed draglink ball joints, replaced with new heavy-duty joints by modifying draglink bar to accept threaded joints.
Installed EGT probe in exhaust manifold, gauge in dash
Installed full color side cameras, with individual monitors so full-screen image on each (it was cheaper than you'd think and the split screen sucked)
Installed new full-color rear camera (retained original, which only looks right at the hitch) so now I have a close and a far rear view image
Repaired driver's side window double pane from fogging - rebuilt the glass and filled with argon
Replaced rollers under flat-floor slide - discovered that my coach is one of a handful of "experimental" Monacos with this feature.
rebuilt entire cabinet between wall and shower, new cabinet utilizes 100% of available space.
Installed residential 18" wide dishwasher in cabinet, plumbed into grey tank
Installed washer/dryer combo unit in rear cabinet
built "side cabinet" for wasted space next to washer, now supplies live right next to their usage
Removed bedroom corner sink (why do they do this in the first place?) and made new corner countertop with epoxy resin surface
Installed "Litter Robot" in new corner space
Removed rear closet doors which kept unloading the contents onto the bed... Installed Litter Robot and cat tree instead on top of engine cover. (More secure closet to street side was retained)
Replaced mattress with memory foam from Costco (SO MUCH NICE!!!)
Replaced all blinds with new accordion blinds from Ikea
Installed Ikea accordion blinds for front windshield and side windows
Installed Magnashade for front windshield
Replaced kitchen plumbing / electrical from fixed section into flexible (where it entered slide) to increase available space and solve a leak from poor design
Rebuilt cabinet under sink to now have a sealed trash can cabinet and large usable storage
Rebuilt cabinet under stove to now have two HUGE drawers to hold cast iron pans, G. Foreman grill, crock pot, blender, cutting boards, etc....
Rebuilt pantry cabinet with new stronger shelving
Rebuilt bathroom cabinet to have usable drawer under sink
Installed multiple power outlets where previously had been none
Installed two power outlets on street-side rebuilt cabinet behind slide, where toaster-oven lives
Installed USB-combination power outlets in living room area, bedroom area.... Basically anywhere someone might sit nearby
installed 4 usb power outlets in front dash
Replaced gearbox and motor for front step
Installed new LED step lights
Designed and built custom trays for basement storage compartments - now each of the forward 4 compartment doors has a 4' deep tray inside, maximizing usable space.
Created rear access panel for maintenance of generator water pump belt
Replaced inlet water diverter valve (to be done soon)
Installed 50-amp power socket on generator wiring at transfer switch, to allow for powering another RV if needed
Rebuilt wet bay area to create storage instead of void space in compartment

I think that's close to the end of the list.....
Old 08-09-2021, 05:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
What non-factory mods have you done to your couch.

re upholstered it.
Now you fix the title
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote