Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 604
What to disconnect before welding on coach?

I have a 2000 36' Allure. My battery box supports have corroded and my battery tray is sagging. I talked to a welder and he thinks he can weld some stronger supports to beef it up.

When I posted this question earlier this year, someone mentioned that before you weld on your coach you should disconnect your??? Was it the inverter? Of course the batteries will be out, but what else should I disconnect so I don't have any damage?

Thanks!
John Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
steve11669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 512
I seem to remember reading about disconnecting the Allison control unit. I have not had to do this myself and don't know where that is.
__________________
2004 Country Coach Inspire, 36', 4 slides. Cummings 350 ISL. Motorcycle on rear carrier. Cadillac on a tow dolly. Retired.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,793
If the negative lead is close to the spot where welding is going to happen, you don't need to disconnect anything.

If you don't trust that, then disconnect the ECM and the Allison brain.
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Member
 
ltcolmac17's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I have a 2000 36' Allure. My battery box supports have corroded and my battery tray is sagging. I talked to a welder and he thinks he can weld some stronger supports to beef it up.

When I posted this question earlier this year, someone mentioned that before you weld on your coach you should disconnect your??? Was it the inverter? Of course the batteries will be out, but what else should I disconnect so I don't have any damage?

Thanks!
I had the the whole support structure under my battery bay rebuilt/welded last year on my '98 Allure due to rusting and I had the fabricator heed this warning and disconnect my trans unit as stated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	163852  
__________________
1998 Country Coach Allure 36' (CC# 30146), Cummins ISC 325
Retired USAFR
ltcolmac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If the negative lead is close to the spot where welding is going to happen, you don't need to disconnect anything.

If you don't trust that, then disconnect the ECM and the Allison brain.
Just clean, down to bare metal, as close to the welding job, for the ground clamp.......the welder is needing a good ground, and it will take/follow the path of least resistance.......that being the ground clamp that is installed on bare metal near the job. I have never unhooked anything over a lot of years when welding..........just made sure I had a good, clean, proper ground for the welder.
__________________
2012 Essex 4544 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006 Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 72
Agree with Don. and Palehorse has it right regarding the grounding, but if you have any doubts and want to err on the side of safety (economy), disconnect all computers; ecm, Allison, HWH, hydronic heater, anti-loc brake...anything you can think of and/or access.

Personally, I would just disconnect my batteries, which you will have to do anyway, and set my ground lead as close to the work as possible (on prepared bare metal)...then, let 'er rip.

Rick
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 26,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcolmac17 View Post
I had the the whole support structure under my battery bay rebuilt/welded last year on my '98 Allure due to rusting and I had the fabricator heed this warning and disconnect my trans unit as stated.
Found the same decal loose in my Allison trans owners manual .
Working on the battery tray ; with an arc welder , may put you too close for comfort to the main engine/transmission ground cable connection to the frame.
Considering the $$$$ of engine & trans control modules, JMHO; disconnect them .
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 73
I need this done too. Any idea of the costs involved? Want to pay a fair price but I have no idea what to expect. Who's had it done?
Thanks
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 604
Are there any other options other then welding? Can you make a new metal plate that would span more of the supports?

It would be great to have some kind of metal battery tray that would drop into place so I didn't have to weld.
John Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,231
Well, I looked in my my bookmarks and I could not find what I was looking for. If you Goggle battery trays I believe you can find what you are looking for, it was related to a marine application. I think I posted on here, good luck. I will keep looking.
__________________
Wally & Elta Mae
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Are there any other options other then welding? Can you make a new metal plate that would span more of the supports?

It would be great to have some kind of metal battery tray that would drop into place so I didn't have to weld.
I have basically the same coach but a year older, '99. My batt tray is needing repair as well. I am going to use two "Uni-Strut" bars under the base frame of the original box. I looked the other day and the two end rails are in very good condition, no rusting at all. I'll span the box front to rear and bolt them thru to the existing frame rails.

Uni-Strut rails have various attachments you can buy with them such as spring nuts, 90, 45 degree angle brackets as well as straight brackets. All I believe I'll need is two rails about 41" long, 4 spring nuts and 4 -5/8" X 2 1/2" to 3" long grade 8 bolts.

I'll drill the holes up thru the frame, drop in the bolts and secure them to the spring nuts that hold the Uni-Strut bars. Should be quite simple and no welding needed.

The Unit-Strut bars are built in a "U" design so they are very strong and will support the batts. Also they only are about 1" thick so nothing will be hanging down far enough to catch anything.

I'll take pictures when I do this and try to post them for all to see.

Probably do this project next week.
__________________
Bill & CJ
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
I have basically the same coach but a year older, '99. My batt tray is needing repair as well. I am going to use two "Uni-Strut" bars under the base frame of the original box. I looked the other day and the two end rails are in very good condition, no rusting at all. I'll span the box front to rear and bolt them thru to the existing frame rails.

Uni-Strut rails have various attachments you can buy with them such as spring nuts, 90, 45 degree angle brackets as well as straight brackets. All I believe I'll need is two rails about 41" long, 4 spring nuts and 4 -5/8" X 2 1/2" to 3" long grade 8 bolts.

I'll drill the holes up thru the frame, drop in the bolts and secure them to the spring nuts that hold the Uni-Strut bars. Should be quite simple and no welding needed.

The Unit-Strut bars are built in a "U" design so they are very strong and will support the batts. Also they only are about 1" thick so nothing will be hanging down far enough to catch anything.

I'll take pictures when I do this and try to post them for all to see.

Probably do this project next week.

Thats a good idea! No, thats a great idea! I didn't think of this angle, I got to hung up on the welding aspect. I would love to see some pics, thanks!
John Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welding on Coach hax Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 5 05-28-2009 05:59 AM
Welding On A MH Chassis BIGRED1 MH-General Discussions & Problems 13 10-22-2006 11:16 AM
Frame welding question rotts4u MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 04-13-2006 07:44 AM
Ford Bulletin on Welding on 2005 and Up F250-F550 Trucks WWFan Toy Haulers Discussion 3 07-24-2005 05:48 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.