Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #43

A second post in this thread, due to an occurrence that took place today. A tad long, my nature - but hope the smile on my face spreads to yours at the end.

But first, go with me to when I was 15 years old. I had bought my first car (1964 Fiat 1100, with 4 on the tree.), and was prepping it for the great 16th life transporter called A Driver's License!. Could see a flat head screw that needed tightening, but could not reach it. A run to Sears, and looking for an 18-24" Miller screwdriver. Well they had a sell, so since I was a flush with cash. Having run 6-8 block radius area lawn service. I'd go get the job, and I'd have 9 to 14 year old neighbor hood kids do the work of cutting the lawn. They used my lawn mowers, I'd bought and rebuilt 6 of them, my gas too. They got 50% of the payment, I got the other 50%! Now back then a front lawn only was cut for $2.50. Front and back, yep $5.00. With a negotiation higher or lower amount, based upon extremely smaller or larger then normal lawns. One neat tidbit, was what I now realize was not a 'Magic Can of Gas'. Magic? Well, it never ran empty. 2 1/2 gallon can never needed filling! (My Dad, would load it into the back of his DeSoto every Saturday on the way to get his hair cut, and top it off on the way home... Heck, I was probably 20 years old before I realized he'd been subsidizing the gas bill for my business!). So yes, back at Sears - flush with funds - went ahead and bought a set of both Millers/Flatheads and Phillips Screwdrivers of various lengths, up to 2' long.

So back to this thread, and the tools I carry in my RV. Well, I had put one each of the 2' long Millers/Phillips screwdrivers in my RV kit. We got home from last years travels just before Thanksgiving. My neighbor came over to borrow some tools for a job, nor really ever problem, as several of on the block would help each other out as needed. He came back mid December to let me know he was trying to get the 2' Millers screwdriver back for his body from work, that had come to help him. Apparently this 'bud from his work' - had accidentally taken my screwdriver home with him... Well come end of January, and we're getting ready to go, and I go visit my neighbor to ask how it was going getting my screwdriver back. Not so good, the 'bud' was in the hospital, and his wife did let him come over to look thru his tools to see if he could find it, but he did not see it.

So I tell him not to worry about it, said I had not needed it once in the last 8 years of travel, so I could wait until we got back to get it from him. He offered to go buy me another one, but I said no thanks - that I'd had that one in my set so long, I'd like to keep it.

======

So of course, yesterday walking back up to the RV from a hike in Catalina State Park, Tucson - I notice leaking fluid. I'd seen this the day we were going to leave, and checked on it and saw it was a small hose clamp feeding back tot he coolant reservoir. Minor leak, and decided to wait until we got to the first stop at Lost Dutchman to address it. Well at Lost Dutchman, it's now magically dry, so I shrug and forget about it - until I see it's leaking enough to get a few drops on the pavement.

Well know problem I'll just go get my - OH DANG!!! THAT's THE TWO FOOT CRAFTSMAN MILLER SCREWDRIVER THAT I NEED TO REACH THE HOSECLAM SCREW! None of my efforts to come up with other combinations of socket wrenches and other items in my available tools would do it... And, a walk thru the park, and came up with an 18" screw driver, about 4" too short (The hose is over on the top of the Side Radiator area. Standing up between the back of the ISL behind the fan belt (Not as easy as it would have been when I was tall and lanky at age 15!!!) - I could get an arm in with a screwdriver to the hose clamp.)

OK, so off to Home Depot. They had a real thick bladed 2' millers, of course in a three pack set - but I was positive the blade was too thick to fit the hose clamp slot. So walking around the Tool Coral, I finally pieced together a few other pieces that would work - but $33 to just tighten one hose clamp a little bit seemed like quite a bit. I bought them anyways, and got direction to the closest Auto Parts store, 15-20 minutes away. Yep, the 'normally' carry a medium size 2' Millers screwdriver, but were out of stock... They did offer to let me buy a single big fat one for $18, and they'd grind it down on a grinder they had in back. But this was a piece of junk screwdriver from China, so I passed. Another 10-15 minutes later, I'm at Tractor Supply... Well, close but no cigar...

But when I told the gent helping me what I was trying to do, he said hold on a minute, that he'd be right back. He came back in under 5 minutes, carrying a Craftsman 2' medium size blade Millers screwdriver. Said to use it, and bring it back to him!!

Drove back to the camp, plastic man my way back into position, loosened then re-snugged the hose clamp - and back to him un under an hour. Asked him if I could buy him a 6 pack, and he would not hear of it. Said that people help people... I talked with him a few more minutes, telling him my story of my Craftsman (Which, my neighbor has back and waiting for me!). And he said over about 30 years or so, he'd lost a few tools he lent out. He said he never lent a tool, or money, without the understanding that sometimes they would not come back - but that he'd rather live his life trusting, then not trusting... Nice man!!

On the way out, I saw they had a local 4H club fundraiser, and bought a $50 certificate of support, with the Nice Man's name on it - and asked the sales clerk to please wait until I left before she gave him his half of the certificate of donation.

Yep, I could have bought many tools for that price... But this man, Tom - well, let's just say he inspired me to 'Pay it forward..'.

===

This relatively short story, from normal Smitty stories - was to just share how neat it was to meet such a truly nice person... They're out their - so remember when the jerks of the world do their thing, that this is one of those times that it only takes: One nice person, with a nice act - to offset 100's of jerks!

Best to all, may your tools be with you. And if not, may the brother/sisterhood of the RV'ing community be with you!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
A second post in this thread, due to an occurrence that took place today. A tad long, my nature - but hope the smile on my face spreads to yours at the end.

But first, go with me to when I was 15 years old. I had bought my first car (1964 Fiat 1100, with 4 on the tree.), and was prepping it for the great 16th life transporter called A Driver's License!. Could see a flat head screw that needed tightening, but could not reach it. A run to Sears, and looking for an 18-24" Miller screwdriver. Well they had a sell, so since I was a flush with cash. Having run 6-8 block radius area lawn service. I'd go get the job, and I'd have 9 to 14 year old neighbor hood kids do the work of cutting the lawn. They used my lawn mowers, I'd bought and rebuilt 6 of them, my gas too. They got 50% of the payment, I got the other 50%! Now back then a front lawn only was cut for $2.50. Front and back, yep $5.00. With a negotiation higher or lower amount, based upon extremely smaller or larger then normal lawns. One neat tidbit, was what I now realize was not a 'Magic Can of Gas'. Magic? Well, it never ran empty. 2 1/2 gallon can never needed filling! (My Dad, would load it into the back of his DeSoto every Saturday on the way to get his hair cut, and top it off on the way home... Heck, I was probably 20 years old before I realized he'd been subsidizing the gas bill for my business!). So yes, back at Sears - flush with funds - went ahead and bought a set of both Millers/Flatheads and Phillips Screwdrivers of various lengths, up to 2' long.

So back to this thread, and the tools I carry in my RV. Well, I had put one each of the 2' long Millers/Phillips screwdrivers in my RV kit. We got home from last years travels just before Thanksgiving. My neighbor came over to borrow some tools for a job, nor really ever problem, as several of on the block would help each other out as needed. He came back mid December to let me know he was trying to get the 2' Millers screwdriver back for his body from work, that had come to help him. Apparently this 'bud from his work' - had accidentally taken my screwdriver home with him... Well come end of January, and we're getting ready to go, and I go visit my neighbor to ask how it was going getting my screwdriver back. Not so good, the 'bud' was in the hospital, and his wife did let him come over to look thru his tools to see if he could find it, but he did not see it.

So I tell him not to worry about it, said I had not needed it once in the last 8 years of travel, so I could wait until we got back to get it from him. He offered to go buy me another one, but I said no thanks - that I'd had that one in my set so long, I'd like to keep it.

======

So of course, yesterday walking back up to the RV from a hike in Catalina State Park, Tucson - I notice leaking fluid. I'd seen this the day we were going to leave, and checked on it and saw it was a small hose clamp feeding back tot he coolant reservoir. Minor leak, and decided to wait until we got to the first stop at Lost Dutchman to address it. Well at Lost Dutchman, it's now magically dry, so I shrug and forget about it - until I see it's leaking enough to get a few drops on the pavement.

Well know problem I'll just go get my - OH DANG!!! THAT's THE TWO FOOT CRAFTSMAN MILLER SCREWDRIVER THAT I NEED TO REACH THE HOSECLAM SCREW! None of my efforts to come up with other combinations of socket wrenches and other items in my available tools would do it... And, a walk thru the park, and came up with an 18" screw driver, about 4" too short (The hose is over on the top of the Side Radiator area. Standing up between the back of the ISL behind the fan belt (Not as easy as it would have been when I was tall and lanky at age 15!!!) - I could get an arm in with a screwdriver to the hose clamp.)

OK, so off to Home Depot. They had a real thick bladed 2' millers, of course in a three pack set - but I was positive the blade was too thick to fit the hose clamp slot. So walking around the Tool Coral, I finally pieced together a few other pieces that would work - but $33 to just tighten one hose clamp a little bit seemed like quite a bit. I bought them anyways, and got direction to the closest Auto Parts store, 15-20 minutes away. Yep, the 'normally' carry a medium size 2' Millers screwdriver, but were out of stock... They did offer to let me buy a single big fat one for $18, and they'd grind it down on a grinder they had in back. But this was a piece of junk screwdriver from China, so I passed. Another 10-15 minutes later, I'm at Tractor Supply... Well, close but no cigar...

But when I told the gent helping me what I was trying to do, he said hold on a minute, that he'd be right back. He came back in under 5 minutes, carrying a Craftsman 2' medium size blade Millers screwdriver. Said to use it, and bring it back to him!!

Drove back to the camp, plastic man my way back into position, loosened then re-snugged the hose clamp - and back to him un under an hour. Asked him if I could buy him a 6 pack, and he would not hear of it. Said that people help people... I talked with him a few more minutes, telling him my story of my Craftsman (Which, my neighbor has back and waiting for me!). And he said over about 30 years or so, he'd lost a few tools he lent out. He said he never lent a tool, or money, without the understanding that sometimes they would not come back - but that he'd rather live his life trusting, then not trusting... Nice man!!

On the way out, I saw they had a local 4H club fundraiser, and bought a $50 certificate of support, with the Nice Man's name on it - and asked the sales clerk to please wait until I left before she gave him his half of the certificate of donation.

Yep, I could have bought many tools for that price... But this man, Tom - well, let's just say he inspired me to 'Pay it forward..'.

===

This relatively short story, from normal Smitty stories - was to just share how neat it was to meet such a truly nice person... They're out there - so remember when the jerks of the world do their thing, that this is one of those times that it only takes: One nice person, with a nice act - to offset 100's of jerks!

Best to all, may your tools be with you. And if not, may the brother/sisterhood of the RV'ing community be with you!
Smitty
While there may be a few bad apples - Given the Chance, most of those old apples are good to the Core -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #45

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have said, it really depends on your skill level and willingness to learn and take care of it. IMO- for some people their tool list should only include a roadside assistance plan and credit card with a large limit. Nothing against such folks like a good friend of mine, but its best if they don't get near a hammer.

For myself and others who are DIY types and perform all/much of their own maintenance we tend to carry a small shop. Maybe too much sometimes. But here's my list for both tools and supplies that I use. These lists are constantly under revision.

Tool List

I do all/most of my own maintenance and service on my 5th wheeler. While working on the rig at home I try perform these functions out of my on-board toolbox, if Im short something it will probably get added. Im one of those guys that never met a tool I didnt like, so my shop is well stocked. I carry what I think Id need on the road for most things.

1. Multi bit screw driver with a wide assortment of special bits
2. Basic dedicated screwdrivers, square drive, Phillips, straight, etc.
3. Most of a Lowes pliers set, left a few things behind
4. 6, 8 & 10 in. adjustable wrenches
5. 8 vise grip pliers
6. Both 3/8 SAE and metric socket sets, my rig needs both
7. Both 3/8 SAE and metric combination wrenches
8. A combination set of SAE and metric sockets
9. Medium ball pin hammer
10. Wire strippers and crimpers
11. Allen head wrench sets
12. Tape measure
13. PEX hose cutter and crimper for steel PEX bands
14. Caulk gun
15. Grease guns, small and standard
16. 14 pry bar, use to do the last inch of lift when changing tires, makes life easy (never had a flat)
17. Digital multimeter
18. Infrared thermometer
19. Digital tire gauge and an analog tire gauge
20. Torque wrenches, I check my wheel lugs every morning along with tire pressures
21. Four-way tire tool
22. Long breaker bar with another 30 pipe cheater
23. 12 ton jack
24. Cordless drill with charger & matching work light
25. Odd assortment of items used to change a wheel bearing
26. Utility knife & razor scraper
27. LED flashlight in toolbox and in each compartment
28. Split ring pliers, inside & outside
29. I use a CO2 system to inflate tires instead of a compressor, I frequently do not have 110v power for a larger compressor
30. Air blow gun and a extension blow gun (up to 22) tire inflator
31. Hand held Propane detector
32. Hacksaw & spare blades
33. Small wood saw
34. And what ever I cant recall

As for supplies and parts:
1. Full set of fuses
2. Spare bulbs
3. Electrical, duct, thernabond & teflon tape
4. Zip ties
5. Crimp ends for wires, custom selected for wires on-board
6. Spare length of 12Ga. Wire
7. Cable ties
8. Spare wheel bearings, seals, etc.
9. Bearing grease
10. Grease gun and extra grease for wet bolts
11. Propane pipe joint compound (the yellow stuff)
12. Disposable gloves
13. Rags
14. Silicone spray
15. WD40 (this is not a lube)
16. Spare PEX fittings and PEX clamps & short length(s) of PEX pipe
17. Assortment of screws
18. Roof repair materials
19. Caulk
20. Superglue
21. Butyl tape
22. C-clips for compartment door latches
23. Dicor self leveling sealant
24. Washers for water hose, spare wire mesh filter for the city water connection
25. Manuals for everything Ive found manuals for
26. Hand cleaner
27. Roll of paper towels
28. All other things I cant think of sitting here

I carry lighted safety triangles and solid stands, safety cones, reflective safety vests, LED safety "flares". Last summer I added good quality face masks because we spent 14 days traveling from Alaska to New Mexico through smoke from hundreds of forest fires along the way.

I carry this stuff in four places, a regular plastic toolbox for the most used things, another box for the cordless stuff, another plastic box for rarely used tools and a large plastic tub for the spare parts. Small parts live in an assortment of plastic part boxes from Home Depot. I have avoided buying those assortment kits of parts. I select only the sizes and types that are actually used in my rig and in quantities that might be needed. With exception of wheel bearings Ive used most of the stuff at some point or another.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
As others have said, it really depends on your skill level and willingness to learn and take care of it. IMO- for some people their tool list should only include a roadside assistance plan and credit card with a large limit. Nothing against such folks like a good friend of mine, but its best if they don't get near a hammer.

For myself and others who are DIY types and perform all/much of their own maintenance we tend to carry a small shop. Maybe too much sometimes. But here's my list for both tools and supplies that I use. These lists are constantly under revision.

Tool List

I do all/most of my own maintenance and service on my 5th wheeler. While working on the rig at home I try perform these functions out of my on-board toolbox, if Im short something it will probably get added. Im one of those guys that never met a tool I didnt like, so my shop is well stocked. I carry what I think Id need on the road for most things.

1. Multi bit screw driver with a wide assortment of special bits
2. Basic dedicated screwdrivers, square drive, Phillips, straight, etc.
3. Most of a Lowes pliers set, left a few things behind
4. 6, 8 & 10 in. adjustable wrenches
5. 8 vise grip pliers
6. Both 3/8 SAE and metric socket sets, my rig needs both
7. Both 3/8 SAE and metric combination wrenches
8. A combination set of SAE and metric sockets
9. Medium ball pin hammer
10. Wire strippers and crimpers
11. Allen head wrench sets
12. Tape measure
13. PEX hose cutter and crimper for steel PEX bands
14. Caulk gun
15. Grease guns, small and standard
16. 14 pry bar, use to do the last inch of lift when changing tires, makes life easy (never had a flat)
17. Digital multimeter
18. Infrared thermometer
19. Digital tire gauge and an analog tire gauge
20. Torque wrenches, I check my wheel lugs every morning along with tire pressures
21. Four-way tire tool
22. Long breaker bar with another 30 pipe cheater
23. 12 ton jack
24. Cordless drill with charger & matching work light
25. Odd assortment of items used to change a wheel bearing
26. Utility knife & razor scraper
27. LED flashlight in toolbox and in each compartment
28. Split ring pliers, inside & outside
29. I use a CO2 system to inflate tires instead of a compressor, I frequently do not have 110v power for a larger compressor
30. Air blow gun and a extension blow gun (up to 22) tire inflator
31. Hand held Propane detector
32. Hacksaw & spare blades
33. Small wood saw
34. And what ever I cant recall

As for supplies and parts:
1. Full set of fuses
2. Spare bulbs
3. Electrical, duct, thernabond & teflon tape
4. Zip ties
5. Crimp ends for wires, custom selected for wires on-board
6. Spare length of 12Ga. Wire
7. Cable ties
8. Spare wheel bearings, seals, etc.
9. Bearing grease
10. Grease gun and extra grease for wet bolts
11. Propane pipe joint compound (the yellow stuff)
12. Disposable gloves
13. Rags
14. Silicone spray
15. WD40 (this is not a lube)
16. Spare PEX fittings and PEX clamps & short length(s) of PEX pipe
17. Assortment of screws
18. Roof repair materials
19. Caulk
20. Superglue
21. Butyl tape
22. C-clips for compartment door latches
23. Dicor self leveling sealant
24. Washers for water hose, spare wire mesh filter for the city water connection
25. Manuals for everything Ive found manuals for
26. Hand cleaner
27. Roll of paper towels
28. All other things I cant think of sitting here

I carry lighted safety triangles and solid stands, safety cones, reflective safety vests, LED safety "flares". Last summer I added good quality face masks because we spent 14 days traveling from Alaska to New Mexico through smoke from hundreds of forest fires along the way.

I carry this stuff in four places, a regular plastic toolbox for the most used things, another box for the cordless stuff, another plastic box for rarely used tools and a large plastic tub for the spare parts. Small parts live in an assortment of plastic part boxes from Home Depot. I have avoided buying those assortment kits of parts. I select only the sizes and types that are actually used in my rig and in quantities that might be needed. With exception of wheel bearings Ive used most of the stuff at some point or another.
And I thought I carried a lot - ---------
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote