Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

When Do You Ride High?

On the last leg home of a trip last week, I crossed a small drainage dip going into a station. I know about entering at an angle, but thought the depression was not too deep. I heard a crunching sound and figured it caught my air dam as it came out of the dip.

Not so. Upon further review, I found the tailpipe for my Aqua Hot squished flat and bent rearward. It apparently was flattened against the outside DS drive tire but sprung away 1/2" so I never heard its rubbing the tire. I'll have to cut it off and see if the muffler seal was broken. If not, I should be able to have an extension added to make it all better.

I feel certain if I'd stopped and taken the time to fully raise the coach on its bags, this would not have occurred. I've never taken the trouble to do this. I figure when I go rumbling along the Southwestern desert floors, I'll do it then.

MY QUESTION IS do any of you discipline yourselves to raise the coach to full height during your travels? If so, what standards have you developed to know when to do it? I've noticed there are more often no places to pull over and get my act together. So, stopping and taking the time to let HWH raise the coach might be dangerous.

This reminds me that, "Good judgment comes from experience; and experience comes from bad judgment".

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I generally raise mine when getting on and off ferries, and once when I came across a well marked raised railway crossing. I'm sure the railway crossing would have removed my AH exhaust.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #3

It seems to me the coach raises pretty quickly. I once had to raise it to go through a culvert (we were in a caravan, led by state troopers, evacuating a flooded interstate in East Texas this past spring). I really had no time to think about it, and really no choice, I had to raise it, and by the time it was my turn to go through the culvert, I was high enough, went through like a champ. I think it raised up high enough in 2 minutes or less. Once through I lowered back to normal ride height. I was pretty impressed with it, seems like a good system. Anyway, don't be bashful about using it.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't needed it yet but should give it a try going into my driveway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

one other thing I forgot to mention. If your going to raise you want to do it with full air tanks. I discovered once when I went to leave in a hurry and the air pressure was enough to release the brakes but not that high and I made contact. I found that the rig raised way to slow so now I don't do it until I hear the air convener go off.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Haven't needed it yet but should give it a try going into my driveway.
I have noticed the air control but same as you have yet to try it. Next time I start the coach will give it a go.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

If, and I donno if it can be, the default traveling height was adjusted higher, would there be any downside to doing so? Probably have an adverse effect on designed center of gravity; but I wonder . . .

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

The default ride height is set based on the suspension. If it were set to high bag and shocks would have to be made longer and the front would not stay aligned since bouncing up and down would change tow angle. cg would not be a factor
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
If, and I donno if it can be, the default traveling height was adjusted higher, would there be any downside to doing so? Probably have an adverse effect on designed center of gravity; but I wonder . . .

Jerry
A lot has to do with the approach angle of the drive line to transmission. It is possible to put extra strain on the U joints while raising the coach ride height. That is the reason there is a speed limit when the coach is raised to the max
Old 07-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #10

A little aside if your front air valve goes out and the coach will automatically level. You can raise the coach to what looks like the right driving height and then pull the fuse in the L front compartment and drive at reasonable speeds to some where where it can get fixed. I know it works on the systems with 3 air valves but I can't testify to it working with 4 or more valves.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #11

When I read this post I thought it referred to driving in Colo, Calif, Ariz or Nevada
jimterryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimterryan View Post
When I read this post I thought it referred to driving in Colo, Calif, Ariz or Nevada
Gee, and I was thinking of when this year for halloween, I had suspenders on and the puled those pants up, WAY UP, high!

Good input above. One other tip I picked up on the CC Yahoo Group from I believe it was owner Mikee. Our 04 Allure, and I assume all coaches, have a minimum/maximum road height. To assist with porpoising avoidance (Before the Road Kings solved that for us.), I had the chassis align and asked the tech to set the height to maximum range of road height. (It's not a great deal, but every little bit helps on road clearance.)

And one of the things I had my wife practice, was getting used to raising the coach manually to allow for 'Just in case' situations... We practice this once a year.

On our last 6 month trip, I raised the coach only one time, and probably really did not need to do so.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

I raise it every time I go in and out of parking spot at home due to driveway slope. Works great.
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimterryan View Post
WA too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote