Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #43
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
... Working on having my cracked exhaust manifold replaced at the moment. When that is done, I will look into the equalizer leak and look into why my air pump for my leveling system does not work. That seems pretty easy to trouble shoot.
Take time, one at a time, you'll be good lol.

In 2012, I bought the new exhaust manifold from Cummins with 10% off with Quickserve membership, planned to do it by myself. I was still working back then, time was tight, at the end I had an engine shop do it for me. Total cost including parts and labor was less than 1 grand. It's not too bad of a job but time consuming - you would need to remove the turbo first (I happenly replaced the turbo DIY two weeks ago).

Words of cautions (you probably already know) are - (1) Soak the mounting bolts with penetrating oil for couple days before unscrew them. Liquidwrench works well. It'd be very hard to extract the broken piece in the cylinder head if it ever happens. (2) Don't reuse the bolts for the manifold, get a new set. The rest should be straight forward.

Best of luck and keep us posted
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Take time, one at a time, you'll be good lol.

In 2012, I bought the new exhaust manifold from Cummins with 10% off with Quickserve membership, planned to do it by myself. I was still working back then, time was tight, at the end I had an engine shop do it for me. Total cost including parts and labor was less than 1 grand. It's not too bad of a job but time consuming - you would need to remove the turbo first (I happenly replaced the turbo DIY two weeks ago).

Words of cautions (you probably already know) are - (1) Soak the mounting bolts with penetrating oil for couple days before unscrew them. Liquidwrench works well. It'd be very hard to extract the broken piece in the cylinder head if it ever happens. (2) Don't reuse the bolts for the manifold, get a new set. The rest should be straight forward.

Best of luck and keep us posted
I bought all new bolts when I bought the new manifold. I have a friend that is a mobile truck and heavy equipment mechanic and he will be doing the job at my house. He said in a lot of cases, he just cuts the heads off the bolts and then removes the manifold, giving him more of the stud or bold to work with rather than have it break off flush with the head. I have been tempted to start the job myself, but I am going to leave it to him. He is a GREAT mechanic and has helped me out more times than I can count over the years. Don't know how a man gets by without Friends.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
Did you set the brake

After spending several hours checking all electrical connections, fluid level, and reading all i could find on the net regarding a "dead" leveling and slide controls (HWH) i realized that I had not SET THE BRAKE.

System wont work if brake is not set or if there is a bad sensor on the brake.

I now have two (2) big labels on the control panel that say SET THE BRAKE.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #46
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
After spending several hours checking all electrical connections, fluid level, and reading all i could find on the net regarding a "dead" leveling and slide controls (HWH) i realized that I had not SET THE BRAKE.

System wont work if brake is not set or if there is a bad sensor on the brake.

I now have two (2) big labels on the control panel that say SET THE BRAKE.
Thanks! Yes I tried. I even tried with engine key off, pressed the "level" button it did light on, pressed it twice quickly again, but nothing happened. I'll sleep on it and eventually figure out the cause .
Old 01-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #47

Transmission fluid would be red. Some of the antifreeze's are pink. I would be checking for antifreeze leak since none of your other reservoirs are low and slides, jacks and power steering are ok.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #48

My hydraulic jack system uses ATF, it is pink in color. Your brake booster uses power steering fluid, and, of course your transmission uses ATF. All may be pink or red. The loss of your hydraulic jack function suggests you have a leak in that system. There should be a reservoir forthe jacks, if it's empty, you found the problem, now find the leak.
Bob
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow!!

Antifreeze in the front compartment from a rear engine Diesel ? Really?

Transmission fluid in the front compartment from a rear engine Diesel? Really?

Hydraulic Fluid from an Air Leveling System with no Jacks? Really?

I know you folks are trying to be helpful, but please assess the situation so you do not post irrelevant advice in the future.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #50

Never grow up. - has something there... make sure that your parking brake light is “lit” (on). You can be stopped, set parking brake, and the “park brake light” must illuminate. If it doesn’t , you have a bad brake solenoid and you won’t be able to level because it. If your park brake light is on , obviously this is not your problem.
Thanks, Ed
Eddvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Wow!!

I know you folks are trying to be helpful, but please assess the situation so you do not post irrelevant advice in the future.

I agree with much of this comment and have thought similarly of many of the comments on this thread as non relevant do to lack of knowledge of Country Coaches. Antifreeze however when you have a Hurricane or Aqua hot heating system runs to the front of the coach and back, and in many cases on both sides, to keep the pipes and bays warm.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #52
Community Moderator

Thank you all for helping pin down the issue. I admit this is a case of tough ones .

Country Coach doesn't use hydraulic jacks; the body rides on wheels full time. I kinda like it as one thing less is one thing less to worry about. I checked the dash heater which is a little far away from the front run bay, and the connections are dry.

I am still digging but slow... Will keep you posted after I found out the gremlin(s).

Happy trails!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Wow!!

How do you heat on your feet and windshield when driving? 2 hoses run from the rear Diesel engine compartment to the heater core on the firewall.
How do you get power steering? 2 hoses run from the rear Diesel engine pump to the steering box.
Probably best you go to a maintenance shop since you don’t know much about the systems!

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by klcdenver View Post
How do you heat on your feet and windshield when driving? 2 hoses run from the rear Diesel engine compartment to the heater core on the firewall.
How do you get power steering? 2 hoses run from the rear Diesel engine pump to the steering box.
Probably best you go to a maintenance shop since you don’t know much about the systems!

Thank you for the instructions:

My dash heater is on the passenger side as is that of the OP. Perhaps your heater and coolant hose is located near the driver side front compartment?

Power steering is already mentioned in Post 2. And the reserve tank is full per the OP.

I do have lots to learn even after 19 years of DIY ownership.

Thank you for the in depth advice.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #55

CountryFit It might be worth the time to go trough the trouble shooting manual for the leveling system. You coach should level even if the small electric pump does not work. The Engine compressor should provide enough air to level the Coach at first, then the small pump basically maintains level so you don't have to keep starting the coach every day or so. I have an issue with the pump that I have not tracked down yet, but coach levels fine. Yours acts like control is not communicating with panel??? Think back, did you do any other repair or up grade in the coach where you may have knocked a wire loose maybe? Just a thought. At this point I am convinced, the leak is a totally separate issue, and it doesn't seemed to have leaked any more.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #56
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
CountryFit It might be worth the time to go trough the trouble shooting manual for the leveling system. You coach should level even if the small electric pump does not work. The Engine compressor should provide enough air to level the Coach at first, then the small pump basically maintains level so you don't have to keep starting the coach every day or so. I have an issue with the pump that I have not tracked down yet, but coach levels fine. Yours acts like control is not communicating with panel??? Think back, did you do any other repair or up grade in the coach where you may have knocked a wire loose maybe? Just a thought. At this point I am convinced, the leak is a totally separate issue, and it doesn't seemed to have leaked any more.
Agree that the leveling and fluid are two separate issues, and a good chance of lacking communication in the play. I tried with engine running, leveling didn't work but always switched to travel mode. I'll go through the trouble shooting procedure and see... Thanks!

Tags
leak