Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Winnebago/CC Visit

While visiting CC for service this week, I was told of some of the goings on. I was told that Winnebago is building 9 each of the Grand Tour and the Journey.
After, that is done the building of the CC's start again, with the possibility of the use of a Spartan. I think that the building of CC's without all the drawings, is amazing! Wink, Wink.

While you are waiting for for service you now get the opportunity to stay on the side of Building 2. The slope is horrendous and we could not level the coach, neither could some of the other coach's. Their are 4 slots and number 3 was not functional.

However, Eric W. once again did a fantastic job with the alignment. This is what I take away from our visit and will go back and have him work on our coach again and again.

Safe travels and have a Happy Holiday!
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wally, it was my understanding that Winnebago was going to tool up there to be able to build all their DP's before considering building CC's again, if at all. Are you saying they now plan to start building CC's after building only a few more Winnebagos?

I did talk with Eric in the chassis shop when we were there last September. He also said if they do build a County Coach again, it would likely be on a Spartan chassis. Not surprised that they would choose not to build the Dynomax again. Even Foretravel is using a Spartan chassis for their custom coaches now.

Doug Beaudry also told me they were negotiating with the city/town to get access to a previously used RV park for service customers. Guess that has not happened.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's too bad because the DynoMax was one of the big features of a CC. But I've had FL and Spartan chassis to and they were OK but none of them were tag axle units. I'm 70 now and the CC I have will last me till I'm pushing up daises (well maybe not as I want to be cremated).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
What I've heard from the Winnebago regional representatives is that, yes they were going to build all their diesel pusher units there. Then some time in the future they were going to start production of the CC units in a facility they also acquired next door. Also when they bought the CC plant and name they also got all of CC's proprietary plans specs. etc in order to fully reproduce CC's as before.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

The spaces by the park are empty and Doug B. did tell me they are waiting for the city to grant them access. From what I have been told, it was donated too the city by Bob Lee and I guess there was a stipulation that it would not to be used for RV's. I think there is around 11 and some have water/sewer. I fell the same way as Mr. D, I have the one I want and its going to last me until, I can't get up the stairs.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #6

The Dynomax Chassis is forever written in the history books.
Don't know how many of you have spent time underneath your coach. I have spent more hours than I would like, looking for air leaks, tightening up clamps on coolant lines, greasing, and just looking things over.
Lots of people, when buying a coach, they have no idea what they are riding on.
I am not no engineer, but I can tell you the Dynomax is one beefy, and solid looking constructed chassis.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

If it ain't on a DynoMax chassis, it ain't a true Country Coach
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

I would totally agree with that. However, that is just the beginning of a CC. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with several of you that this should be our last coach. One of the reasons we bought this CC was the plan that it would hold up well enough to take us to the end of our RV travels.

I will be interested in whatever Winnebago comes up with a CC name on it.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #10

When it's said and done, I'm afraid it's still going to be a Winnebago!

My DW and I just walked through a 2017 Winnebago Grand Tour at the RV show here. It was built at the plant in JC. While on the surface, it was nice with a good floorplan and lots of neat features, closer examination showed the steps taken to meet the price point. As they say, the devil is in the details (whatever that actually means).

Unless I win the lottery and buy a Marathon, this coach will likely be our final one.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

Think you will be disappointed in a comparison.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
When it's said and done, I'm afraid it's still going to be a Winnebago!

My DW and I just walked through a 2017 Winnebago Grand Tour at the RV show here. It was built at the plant in JC. While on the surface, it was nice with a good floorplan and lots of neat features, closer examination showed the steps taken to meet the price point. As they say, the devil is in the details (whatever that actually means).

Unless I win the lottery and buy a Marathon, this coach will likely be our final one.
How would you rate the fit and finish on the Grand Tour you looked at? How was the paint etc on the outside? I'm curious about how the new builders are doing.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #13

To be fair, I really didn't do an in depth examination of the coach as I might if I were considering purchase. As I said, the initial impression was that it was a good looking coach but it just didn't feel like a Country Coach quality. I thought a 450 engine was a bit on the under power side for a 45 foot coach, but I didn't drive it. Although, looking at your signature, you could probably better comment on that. I did think that it was an improvement over some 2015 Itascas that I once looked at, although they were Meridians and not Ellipses. I didn't really look at the outside other than a cursory walk around.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for your reply. I do have hopes that they do things well. I agree they could have given the 45RL a 500 ISX with a 4000 Allison. But that would up the MSRP, and perhaps they want to beef up some other things first. My Ellipse motors along nicely with the 450 ISL power plant. It has a great floorplan and numerous amenities for the price. It's a sweet spot coach. Now, if I'm ever able to move up further, (bigger engine, heavier chassis, etc etc), it'll probably be back to Newmar, (unless the new CC just blows everyone away, y' never know) [emoji41] .... either MA, LA, or Essex, but probably not new.......we'll see I guess.

As far as new CCs, I have been hoping as I said, that they do it right as possible, and do it well. I hope they have studied (besides the drawings) real CCs, and realize the tradition of top quality, and work with Mr. Lee as close as they said they would. There's one way to do it and that's it I say. Again, I guess we'll see.

Best regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago