Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #15

As Dean stated above, the real tragedy is that very soon all the high end build coaches that we always refer too will soon be to old to consider buying other than Newmar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
I would include Foretravel with Newmar.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #17
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll go ahead and stick my neck out and say...my coach, after owning it a few years, is holding up very well. It is solid and has been reliable. Not saying it's perfect, but I believe it's running a good race with all the other assembly line manufacturers out there for quality.
There I've said it. However, my comment will probably be dismissed as coming from someone who doesn't know the difference out of ignorance.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #18

I emailed Gregory Bootes at Winnebago Junction City. None of this move back to Iowa is going to affect parts and service for Country Coaches at the JC location. He is staying there.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #19

Thats good news
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #20

Winnebago consolidating Diesel ops moving back to Forest City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
Adding to that I'll just speculate that Winnie has never been high end anything. And when they looked at the ROI on starting up a High End coach line they just couldn't stomach it. Even Newmar has entry level units that help offset the product line and costs. Look at those mid range Newmars these days and the workmanship isn't bad at all.

I still marvel at the craftsmanship that went in to the CC's back in the day. I was just replacing a hydronic heat fan yesterday and the way they dressed all the wires, labeled them, insulated them where they might rub on something metallic amazes me. Probably pretty difficult to be profitable building things that way these days. Plus finding labor that will pay attention to detail is probably difficult.

Fred

Letís see all the wiring in my Winnebago Journey is labeled continuously all are in protective covering and protected and sealed at all bulkheads. It also has complete wiring and plumbing diagrams. All trim and doors are solid cherry. I am sure it is missing a number of things, but quality trim, fit finish, and wiring is not missing.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #21

Those being let go from Winnie stand a good chance of being picked up at some of the independent businesses. A couple of them have been advertising for techs for quite awhile with no results
Old 02-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #22

I have always thought it was just a real estate play with no intentions to manufacture anything. West coast wages,taxes and regs dont align with manufacturing very well and Winnebago never had the skill or capability to build a country coach. Even there highest quality unit is comical to walk thru.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I have always thought it was just a real estate play with no intentions to manufacture anything. West coast wages,taxes and regs dont align with manufacturing very well and Winnebago never had the skill or capability to build a country coach. Even there highest quality unit is comical to walk thru.
I would disagree that WGO does not have the skill or ability to build a more sturdy luxury coach. I haven't looked at their stuff recently but we owned a 2002 Winne Journey DP for 8 years and drove it all over the USA. It was, for the money, a great coach. It was not luxury but it was built well and it held up well. Wiring and plumbing was organized and, as already noted, WGO provides comprehensive technical data online for every coach they ever made.

My guess is that WGO looked at future demand for high end, expensive class A motorhomes and decided it was in decline. Most of us baby boomers are getting older and the next generation of potential RV buyers don't have the bankroll many of us have/had. Other than those with really deep pockets who can go for Newells, Prevosts and Foretravels, Entegra and Newmar seem to have done a great job covering the demand with their Cornerstone, King Aire, Essex, London Aire.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would disagree that WGO does not have the skill or ability to build a more sturdy luxury coach. I haven't looked at their stuff recently but we owned a 2002 Winne Journey DP for 8 years and drove it all over the USA. It was, for the money, a great coach. It was not luxury but it was built well and it held up well. Wiring and plumbing was organized and, as already noted, WGO provides comprehensive technical data online for every coach they ever made.

My guess is that WGO looked at future demand for high end, expensive class A motorhomes and decided it was in decline. Most of us baby boomers are getting older and the next generation of potential RV buyers don't have the bankroll many of us have/had. Other than those with really deep pockets who can go for Newells, Prevosts and Foretravels, Entegra and Newmar seem to have done a great job covering the demand with their Cornerstone, King Aire, Essex, London Aire.
My youngest did not even get a drivers license until he was 21. I do not believe him or any of his friends will consider a MH.... I think there is a good chance Winnebago is looking forward at the looming recession (that many are predicting). I'm sure they remember 2008-2010 well and it taught them a good lesson. Circle the wagons.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, they still own everything at Junction City location. They may revisit the idea of manufacturing there at a later date.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #26

This will be a big hit for Junction City area, the Coach economy and some Ag are really what the area has going.

I was just there and I did get the feedback that most of the really Skilled CC guys are long gone.
I think the fact is the costs are super high and often skilled electricians and fabricators can make more money as an electrician somewhere else. Winnebago can not afford to match so over time the true craftsman may have moved on.
Again that is just what we gathered while we were there. The Exception is G Bootes who is some kind of RV Ninja
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #27

I wish WGO luck on ahead. Sorry for the hit to Junction City operation. Looking at the RV Industry as a whole - I see too many Entry and Mid level DP's in the market place, and not enough buyers. The industry ramped up after the recovery, for what was expected to be a Baby Boomer and other Generation rush on RV's. I think the forecast was larger then the reality. And I also feel that many went the route of the smaller Class B's over the larger Class A's, I don't think the manufacture's forecasted the demand accurately across the mix. I can not blame WGO for seeing the slow increase in interest rates, slowing purchase demand on large DP's, and also finding skilled worker's (In any of their locations.). They're adjusting to what they now forecast is the proper mix, and location, for building.

I also have no problems with WGO. They have had some very good DP's over the years. Newell, Foretravel, Travel Supreme, Country Coach level of quality on their higher end - no. But still a good coach, for a lower cost point. The mentioned Journey and Horizon sister RV's, have a strong loyal following. Older Ultimate Freedom and today's Tour (And sister Itasca Model) - have happy owner's too.

All coaches (Even our CC's!), have opportunities for repairs and improvements!

And when we're in a campground, I have as much fun talking with other coach owners, even trailer owner's too - as CC owner's. 97 times out of 100, everyone is looking out and willing to help each other. Those 3 times out of 100 - well, that's their problem!

Best to all, have fun, travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
Letís see all the wiring in my Winnebago Journey is labeled continuously all are in protective covering and protected and sealed at all bulkheads. It also has complete wiring and plumbing diagrams. All trim and doors are solid cherry. I am sure it is missing a number of things, but quality trim, fit finish, and wiring is not missing.
Probably don't need to post a provocative reply when we are trading info on Country Coaches, and their quality, and their demise, not Winnebagos.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, winnebago