Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Winterizing issue: faulty water heater bypass?

While doing my annual winterizing of our coach I was puzzled that though all the faucets and ice maker were closed the water pump when turned on drew up from the attached jug of RV antifreeze. Thinking the only place for the fluid to be going was into the water heater I then drained it and indeed found there was antifreeze in the water heater water. This was despite the fact the left value was properly set to "bypass". Could it be the valve is not functioning properly? This would seem to me to be extremely unlikely, but I can't understand how else the antifreeze could be getting into the water heater when the valve is thus set.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

I have three valves to bypass my water heater. I need to close two of the values: inlet and outlet to the water heater and open the third to bypass mine.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #3

IF you have a one valve system........ie: turn valve one way to allow water into WH or turn valve 90* to bypass WH then valve could be leaking by and water is going into WH thru cold inlet line OR bypass valve is working and water is backflowing into WH thru Hot outlet check valve

Turn to bypass.disconnect cold inlet at WH and then pump anti-freeze to se if it comes out cold inlet line.
If it does....then valve is issue
If it does NOT.then hot outlet check valve is issue

IF you have a 2 valve system........cold inlet closed/bypass open
Hot outlet check valve is most likely issue

3 valve system........cold/hot valves closed/bypass open
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
I have three valves to bypass my water heater. I need to close two of the values: inlet and outlet to the water heater and open the third to bypass mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IF you have a one valve system........ie: turn valve one way to allow water into WH or turn valve 90* to bypass WH then valve could be leaking by and water is going into WH thru cold inlet line OR bypass valve is working and water is backflowing into WH thru Hot outlet check valve

Turn to bypass.disconnect cold inlet at WH and then pump anti-freeze to se if it comes out cold inlet line.
If it does....then valve is issue
If it does NOT.then hot outlet check valve is issue

IF you have a 2 valve system........cold inlet closed/bypass open
Hot outlet check valve is most likely issue

3 valve system........cold/hot valves closed/bypass open
I have a one valve system. After doing your suggested tests I have confirmed the bypass is not working properly and will need to be replaced. Thanks for the help
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, winter