Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
Takes 12 gallons of AF in my fresh water tank to winterize. each spring add fresh water with 1 cup of bleach and run thru system......let stand in system then flush with fresh water. Never a taste residual
It is good to know. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
You're lucky. All Butch ever told me was "Move to Florida"!
I just put the AF in the fresh tank, turn on the pump and run till pink comes out of all the pipes. I let the ice maker run for a couple days till I got slush as well. This year I'll add some AF, but I'm going to keep it plugged in and ready to travel this winter. I'll leave the HH on and keep heat going in the coach and the wet bay.
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #17
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Curious as to why one would put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. If it's drained, it's not going to freeze and even if there was a small amount of water left, it won't cause a problem. Most pumps have a take up hose or connection that allows one to bypass the fresh tank. Am I missing something?
Good question! That is what I thought also, but I guess there are a fair number of people who does it this way including Butch Williams (the CC Expert) who suggested this to me.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman50th View Post
You're lucky. All Butch ever told me was "Move to Florida"!
I just put the AF in the fresh tank, turn on the pump and run till pink comes out of all the pipes. I let the ice maker run for a couple days till I got slush as well. This year I'll add some AF, but I'm going to keep it plugged in and ready to travel this winter. I'll leave the HH on and keep heat going in the coach and the wet bay.
Some of us get better advice from Butch - meaning you! He didn't suggest that to me.
On a serious note, I just behind the door where all the plumbing are. I just can't believe that there no by pass, but I wouldn't know what it would look like - do you? Also, what the switch "Water pump by pass" do, do you know?

Thanks, and safe travels!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #19

When you drain the fresh water tank do you also turn on the water pump so it pumps out of the low point drain? Also, did you take your filter element out of the whole house filter? That will expand and break the housing.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #20

The bypass switch mounted on the panel is for the water pump. Turns it on. What is this "Bypass" (The other one that you don't see) that we don't have and you are curious of?
As far as plumbing, I had a terrible time this spring getting a water pressure problem fixed, but I learned a lot about CC plumbing. Meaning it's way more complicated than it needs to be. A lot of switching goes on electronically. Those "Red Hats", green widgets with hoses running in and out of with a large green top and a red button in the middle are electronic water switches on sensors. Way more tech than necessary. We also don't have manual fresh water fill valves. If there is a problem at the Silver Leaf panel and the auto fill doesn't work you have to go to the gravity feed. Lots of fun stuff I learned about my CC Magna.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #21
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
When you drain the fresh water tank do you also turn on the water pump so it pumps out of the low point drain? Also, did you take your filter element out of the whole house filter? That will expand and break the housing.
Yes, I did use the water pump for draining - it goes quickly.
Yes, I did get the filter out. Thanks,
Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The bypass switch mounted on the panel is for the water pump. Turns it on. What is this "Bypass" (The other one that you don't see) that we don't have and you are curious of?
I guess, I am looking for a way of hooking up a hose to an external AF bucket. I had something like that in my Essex. I was just curious if any CC owners have something like that! Thanks,
Old 10-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I guess, I am looking for a way of hooking up a hose to an external AF bucket. I had something like that in my Essex. I was just curious if any CC owners have something like that! Thanks,
We don't have anything like that, which is kind of dumb if you ask me. Two steps forward $$$ and three steps back. There also is no hot water heater bypass according to Butch. Plus I looked. Meaning as you're running the AF through you're filling up the HWH tank also.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
We don't have anything like that, which is kind of dumb if you ask me. Two steps forward $$$ and three steps back. There also is no hot water heater bypass according to Butch. Plus I looked. Meaning as you're running the AF through you're filling up the HWH tank also.
With all the sophistication of the CCs, the lack of some of these basics amazes me. My 2005 Essex had a much more functional plumbing. You could turn on/off water to any specific fixture right from the plumbing bay, including the bypass for winterizing the coach.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #25
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
BTW, Don, do you happen to know which of the water pump has the "input"? I know the pump is labeled, but it very hard to see down there?
Thanks,
Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
With all the sophistication of the CCs, the lack of some of these basics amazes me. My 2005 Essex had a much more functional plumbing. You could turn on/off water to any specific fixture right from the plumbing bay, including the bypass for winterizing the coach.
Exactly! I was converting to LED. I had to have an electrical wizard rewire the entire switching system so I could do all the lights that were on the dimmers! LEDs don't pull enough current to turn off with the dimmer switches. I told my wife that if we ever had a Prevost built, I was going to have them put in a bunch of access panels to get to wiring and plumbing. A water baffle system like your ESSEX, manual valves. Conduit for running wires so they could be pulled and replaced rather than wire ties, Complete ease of access for maintenance and repairs!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #27

I wasn't able to get my hands into that little access hole to play with the pump (Hope I never have to replace it) So no, I'm sorry, not sure.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I wasn't able to get my hands into that little access hole to play with the pump (Hope I never have to replace it) So no, I'm sorry, not sure.
Thanks, again, Don. I appreciate your thoughts!

Tags
refrigerator, winter