RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, what a day for problems!

We moved today from an RV park in North Myrtle Beach to our favorite, Ocean Lakes, in the south end. Got here and for the first time ever with this coach, my big driver's side Power Gear slide seemed to be binding on one end. The end near the fridge would not come out. I retracted it and had the DW operate the switch while I pushed on the stuck end. We finally got it out but it was a groaning beast. I did a quick check to see what might be going on but did not see anything obvious. The shear pin near the motor was still intact. I plan to start a serious investigation tomorrow. I am hoping it was just sticking and some cleaning and silicone will take care of it. We had been sitting for 3 weeks near the ocean so maybe that is the cause. It appears to me that this slide basically rides up the long nylon ramp (hidden under the edge of the carpet) then slides along the carpeted floor. So the only friction/potential binding areas are that short ramp. I am going to clean it well and lube it with silicone.

Now we try our always reliable RF Mogul Sat dish and it gave me a 'Cannot find GPS' message. We had that issue right after we got the RF Mogul in 2015 and they said they had a bad batch of GPS modules. They sent me a replacement module and it worked for 2 days then quit. So, they sent me another module but by the time I got it 3 days later, the sat dish started working just fine. It has worked fine until today. So, I opened the newest module and went to the roof and replaced it. It takes about 5 minutes...easy R & R. But, I am still getting the same message so have placed a call to their tech support.

So no problem, right? This RV park has newly upgraded digital cable service. I hook up and get many channels, most in HD. But, I get intermittent pixilation. Call the office they send a guy, he checks the signal on their cable and it is perfecto. He also replaced the connector on the end of their cable. It did not sure the issue. So I checked the connections at the A/B switch (antenna/cable) and one was a bit loose. No fix. Went outside and looked at the connector on the inside of the box and it was tight but looks like an 11 year old connection. Diddled with it and it is better so that connector will get replaced when we get the sat dish working.

So, holding my breath. Still have to get my door lock fixed. Guy coming Monday to work on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

Always working on something with these coaches.
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #3

When it rains it pours...snowball effect
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE

Well one problem fixed. Carlo with RF Mogul called me (we were in a restaurant) and asked me a few questions about the issue. He quickly diagnosed the issue as being a glitch in my version of the firmware. There can be confusion between the controller and the GPS module. He sent me an email with the new firmware, I copied it to a USB stick and installed it on the controller. His instructions in the email were spot on. Within 5 minutes the dish had locked onto the birds and we were watching Direct TV.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #5

Glad that one turned out to be a non event!! And what good customer service they provided you!

I believe I posted on this site my recent embarrassment on front deep slide. And to be clear, this is an electric motor driven Power Gear. The kind with ram support arms/rails with the gear teeth on the bottom. For quite sometime, we'd had trouble getting ours to retract without having it stop by itself, then had to go out just a bit and stop, and then continue to retract from that point. Sometimes, we'd have to do this a few times. And a couple times toward the end, the DW would work the switch, and I'd go out and put my weight to outside of the slide, to help it make it up over the 'bump' as we called it.

Did basically what you plan on doing. And then a bit more. I'd read an old thread via many Google searches, of what was going on. 1) Lifted the edge of the slide carpet, and and cleaned all along the nylon bump up that the slide first goes over to raise up. Then went over it with silicone. I sprayed some on a rag, and used the rag to coat along the nylon. 2) I then opened the access panel to get into the motor that runs the arms/rails. The front one looked OK, but I sprayed it with brake cleaner (Or it may have been electrical, whatever I had in my bay at that time.) Let it dry well, and then used a dry lube spray on the motor end gear, as well as all the way down the rails teeth. When I got to the rear motor and gear, well, this was where I realized I had missed a maintenance step over the years! In our coach, this was opened to the bottom, as it's in the same bay as the LP tank. Exposed to road moisture, and blowing dust. I was filthy!! Used up the rest of my can of cleaner, and then part of a second one. The more dry lube.

Gee, what a surprise - that slide has been working smoothly ever since! So, I've added regular inspection and cleaning and lubricating of these areas to my coach 'To Do'...

As I've never had a slide with hydraulics activation, I have not idea if similar maintenance might help them too.

I sure hope that you find a simple maintenance activity will get your slide running well for you too!

And my wife is a firm believer that problems come in three's - so your done for this trip with problems!!!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's the bad days that make the good days seem really good.
The devil is in the details.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Glad that one turned out to be a non event!! And what good customer service they provided you!

I believe I posted on this site my recent embarrassment on front deep slide. And to be clear, this is an electric motor driven Power Gear. The kind with ram support arms/rails with the gear teeth on the bottom. For quite sometime, we'd had trouble getting ours to retract without having it stop by itself, then had to go out just a bit and stop, and then continue to retract from that point. Sometimes, we'd have to do this a few times. And a couple times toward the end, the DW would work the switch, and I'd go out and put my weight to outside of the slide, to help it make it up over the 'bump' as we called it.

Did basically what you plan on doing. And then a bit more. I'd read an old thread via many Google searches, of what was going on. 1) Lifted the edge of the slide carpet, and and cleaned all along the nylon bump up that the slide first goes over to raise up. Then went over it with silicone. I sprayed some on a rag, and used the rag to coat along the nylon. 2) I then opened the access panel to get into the motor that runs the arms/rails. The front one looked OK, but I sprayed it with brake cleaner (Or it may have been electrical, whatever I had in my bay at that time.) Let it dry well, and then used a dry lube spray on the motor end gear, as well as all the way down the rails teeth. When I got to the rear motor and gear, well, this was where I realized I had missed a maintenance step over the years! In our coach, this was opened to the bottom, as it's in the same bay as the LP tank. Exposed to road moisture, and blowing dust. I was filthy!! Used up the rest of my can of cleaner, and then part of a second one. The more dry lube.

Gee, what a surprise - that slide has been working smoothly ever since! So, I've added regular inspection and cleaning and lubricating of these areas to my coach 'To Do'...

As I've never had a slide with hydraulics activation, I have not idea if similar maintenance might help them too.

I sure hope that you find a simple maintenance activity will get your slide running well for you too!

And my wife is a firm believer that problems come in three's - so your done for this trip with problems!!!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty, thanks for the info. I sure hope it is that simple. Our four slide coach has only the one Power Gear slide. The other three are HWH hydraulic slides.

My Power Gear slide only has the one motor and it is mounted near the rear wall of the compartment just in front of the bay with the LP tank. I know the gear and rack is just inside that LP bay so it is likely dirty as well. Will get to that first. The front gear and rack is behind the forward wall of that same compartment and sits over the fuel tank. There is a removable access panel in that bay that gives you limited access to that.

Once I clean and lube everything I hope it works. If not, will be calling Kevin for some suggestions.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE

Well I did have a broken shear bolt. My system has four shear bolts....one at the motor, another at the forward gear/rack, and two on a short shaft between the motor and the rear most gear/rack position. My sheared bolt was the one next to the rear most gear. Unfortunately, access to this position is via a small removable panel in the compartment just aft of the LP tank bay. However, the ram assembly blocks a direct view of the shear bolt in question. Also, there is little room to work with tools, swing a hammer, etc. I got one of those inspection mirrors on a flex rod and a big adjustable wrench. I disengaged the motor brake and, using the wrench, rotated the square shaft near the motor to get the holes aligned. This was trial and error since I had to move the shaft a bit, then go peek in the opening with the mirror to see if I had alignment. It took four efforts to get that done.

A piece of the old bolt was stuck in the hole so I used another smaller bolt as a punch to try and remove it. As I said, there was little room to swing a hammer to do this but several rapid and firm taps and the piece fell out.

Inserted new bolt, cleaned and lubed all the gears, racks, rollers and the nylon ramp inside under the carpet. It was late in the day when I finished up so will try moving the slide tomorrow.

Fortunately, I had ordered a set of four of these shear bolts from Kevin Waite when I first bought this coach.

I hope this one holds. I am too old, stiff and fat to squeeze into these compartments and do this kind of repair.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

It must be bad slide month. My coach is down due to a leaking valve on the front slide. Four weeks estimate for the rebuild of the valve not counting travel time to HWH. If on schedule I won't get the coach back until Thanksgiving week or just after.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #10

If you're still RVing you're just between breakdowns.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
UPDATEAlso, there is little room to work with tools, swing a hammer, etc..
Yikes! Hope the fix works ... and holds!

I agree that the hardest part sometimes is just getting to the issue. What would be a 5 minute fix ends up taking hours.

Now you have me wanting to order some Shear bolts. Are they coach specific?
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #12

Tony, the shear pin is a certain spec so that it will snap if it needs to. I just tried a #8 bolt and it lasted a year then snapped again so I purchased from Dave the right bolts and no problems since.

I did have a leaky hydraulic slide once (your slide will creep out while parked) I purchased a used/new solenoid out of that shop in Eugene that had a ton of HWH stuff from the Auction of Monaco and Country Coach. I replaced it myself not a bad job you can see it on YouTube.

HWH walked me through how to determine which one to replace.
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
Tony, the shear pin is a certain spec so that it will snap if it needs to. I just tried a #8 bolt and it lasted a year then snapped again so I purchased from Dave the right bolts and no problems since..
I do understand that shear bolts are different than regular bolts... but I was wondering if there are different ones of them?

I only have one "gear" slide - the other 3 are hydraulic. It's my big PS slide that houses my fridge, dinette table, and the smaller couch. It always scares me when it goes out/in with all of the angling, etc. My guess would be that the size of the slideout would determine the breaking point of the shear bolt?

I will check with Kevin Waite as he helped me with my tow board (not sure which Dave you are referring to above?)
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, ems, problems