Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
2018 Eagle winter camping

My 2018 Eagle 317 RLOK has a sticker at the door that indicates it is ready for Winter time camping.

Someone suggested this means they have a heater element on the fresh water tank and that heated air from the furnace is ducted to the water lines.

I couldn't get Jayco to verify this. They said to winterize water system when temps reach 32 F and below. I'll have to call them back with my Vin # tho to be sure.

Anyone have experience with Winter camping using the fresh water system on the trailer?

Jim
2018 Jayco Eagle 317 RLOK
'04 GMC Sierra 2500 ST Diesel

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4
reutherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reutherfan View Post
My 2018 Eagle 317 RLOK has a sticker at the door that indicates it is ready for Winter time camping.

Someone suggested this means they have a heater element on the fresh water tank and that heated air from the furnace is ducted to the water lines.

I couldn't get Jayco to verify this. They said to winterize water system when temps reach 32 F and below. I'll have to call them back with my Vin # tho to be sure.

Anyone have experience with Winter camping using the fresh water system on the trailer?

Jim
2018 Jayco Eagle 317 RLOK
'04 GMC Sierra 2500 ST Diesel
Some manufacturers call it ready for winter or all weather if they have extra insulation, others if the piping is inside the RV and not dangling below. Not sure on yours. I have winter camped in below zero temps many times. It is definitely a challenge depending upon power availability and propane capacity.

My first RV had a set of tank heaters. Those can be added if you want. basically it is a heat pad that adheres to the side of the black and grey tanks and it runs on 12v usually so it really drains the batteries to turn it on. There will be a switch inside if you have tank heaters. On my current Class A diesel RV, the "basement" storage is all sealed and the tanks are in the storage compartment and there is a heat duct running into the compartment. The thing is, if you are not running your furnace and burning up propane, on this setup you aren't heating your tanks. Often, if I have electrical hookups in very cold I run electric space heaters to keep the RV warm and save propane.
You can also pour some RV antifreeze in each sink, shower and toilet and use it without worrying about freezing the tanks. However, your water lines and fresh tank need to be kept from freezing and cracking! Also, don't even try to hookup water hoses to your water inlet in below freezing temps unless you have a heated hose or you can have some real interesting problems!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
winter camping

Thanks Ed. I've decided to play it safe this year and winterize completely and store the trailer within the next couple weeks.

Currently I'm living in the trailer in a Michigan RV park. Temps dip to below 32 at night but are 40 to 50 daytime. Before temps dip to the low 20's I'll winterize and move to the house for the winter.

Jim
35.5' Jayco Eagle 317
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4
reutherfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter