RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

Calgon?

I've seen people recommending Calgon Water Softener for the black tank.

Do you use Liquid or Powder? Quantity? I've seen amounts from a capfull (I assume liquid) to a cup full (powder?)?
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Peterk56-

Here is a link to the "offiical homepage" describing tank treatment with Calgon:

The Geo Method
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

I haven't used or found a need for any additives on a regular basis in our MH... just plenty of water.
I have had issues, mostly strong foul smell from our boat holding tank and have learned a lot solving the problem. Inadequate venting to get air to the tank and liquid surface is key to eliminating odors. Aerobic bacterial breakdown is not bad smelling but starve the liquid of oxygen and anaerobic bacteria take over and they are the really smelly ones.
I have improved venting and even went so far as adding a fish tank bubbler to the tank and have had great results.
I also started using a product called NoFlex which is relatively expensive and hard to find. The active ingredient is sodium percarbonate and is inexpendive and readily available in bulk. It only takes about a tablespoon or so in the tank each day to keep it aerobic . The treatment not only aids breakdown of solids but also cleans up residual solids and tank residue. The key is a small daily dose and a 2X-3X dose if you are leaving it unused for a week or so.

I also use Calgon periodically to assist the cleaning of tank and level sensors.
If anyone is experiencing significant odor problems id recommend giving sodium percarbonate a try. If you buy a 15# bag / container you will have plenty to use and give some away to friends & acquaintances.
If you need or want more info on dosing & use PM me and I can elaborate and provide additional links & info.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Peterk56-

Here is a link to the "offiical homepage" describing tank treatment with Calgon:

The Geo Method
That's great! Thank you!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I haven't used or found a need for any additives on a regular basis in our MH... just plenty of water.
I have had issues, mostly strong foul smell from our boat holding tank and have learned a lot solving the problem. Inadequate venting to get air to the tank and liquid surface is key to eliminating odors. Aerobic bacterial breakdown is not bad smelling but starve the liquid of oxygen and anaerobic bacteria take over and they are the really smelly ones.
I also use Calgon periodically to assist the cleaning of tank and level sensors.
If anyone is experiencing significant odor problems id recommend giving sodium percarbonate a try. ..
Thanks. We're just starting out so no problems yet. We do use lots of water, and let's hope our vents continue to work, but will be aware of possible blockage issues for the future if things smell foul.