Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Ceramic Spray?

We have a new-to-us 2015 Precept 35 UN and wanted to know if anyone has applied a ceramic spray coating and was happy with the results. I saw an ad from Torque Detail (https://shop.torquedetail.com/gu2/) and was interested.
Thanks for any other guidance regarding protecting the finish.
BedBugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #2

While doubtful of all the miracle claims made by the ceramic coating industry, my opinion of paint maintenance is 99% of the success lies in just doing it. I've used all kinds of products from cheap to expensive since the 1960s and all my vehicles looked nice. This past year I've used a couple products with the word "ceramic" on the container. For me what counts is ease of use. The harder a product is to apply and remove, the less I want to use it. Years ago Teflon was the miracle product, and it was on the label of so many products. Now it's ceramic. Use what you want, and don't expect miracles.

One day a couple years ago I was picking something up at the auto parts store and noticed a bottle of Maguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax which is a spray on, hose off finish. The guy behind the counter saw me reading the label and said: "That stuff is da bomb." Feeling adventurous, I ignored my "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" self, and bought a bottle. I used it on my motorhome and my wife's car and was quite pleased with the results. It can leave a bit of an irregular/streaky finish at first, but water really beaded up and it seemed to last quite a while in the rainy Pacific Northwest. It was an easy, quick way to do a 40ft long RV in my driveway.

Now, I'm not specifically suggesting you need to use what I did, just commenting on the fact I was pleased with a particular product. I don't buy all the gee-whiz claims about ceramics, any more than I do the gee whiz claims on TV informercials about miracle non stick pans, or shammy towels. If you see a product that interests you, try it and see how you like it.

I see a lot of RVs that are cared for, and a lot that aren't. I bet all the nice ones are done with an assortment of products, new or old. The ones that aren't, are simply ignored by their owners for whatever reason. There's one in the campground I'm in right now that's a hybrid. It's pretty clean up to where the owner can reach, and filthy above that. I've had two friends that believe vehicles are simply transportation and they have never waxed, and seldom washed them. As long as they run and get them from point a to point b, all is well. Their vehicles look like, crap, but get the job done. Others pay big bucks for regular detailing. I like a well maintained vehicle and enjoy doing it myself. I get comments all the time on how nice my 1998 RV looks, and it's because it has been taken care of, not because of the products used on it.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Tom - thanks for your information!
BedBugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #4

I have found that starting with a clean surface FIRST before applying any long term coatings makes a big difference.
I have kept our coach and car as clean and shiny.
I then was using Turtle Wax Ice synthetic car wax and was quite satisfied with the results from my labor and the product. So, when Turtle Wax came our with a Ceramic car wash I figured it was worth a try.
Am I satisfied with the application and the results?
YOU HAD BETTER BELIEVE IT!! And the coating lasts!
I gave some to my neighbor and he was blown away with how well it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000178.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	342137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000180.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	342138  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000183.jpg
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	342139  
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #5

That’s a beauty Nitehawk!
I learned how to properly detail a car when I got my first, 50 years ago. It’s been kind of a hobby ever since.
All my rigs get cleaned often and paint protection applied. Paid good money for them and not letting any of them look old.
My detailing supply shelf always has many products on it. The key is to use them. Haven’t jumped on the ceramic bandwagon just yet…
Firewrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
PB2

I use a product called Bead Maker.
https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Pro...NrPXRydWU&th=1

It's easy to spray on and wipe/buff off. I did my 25' MH in a hour or two. Lasts about 3-4 months and the water really beads up and sheets off. Like other products you should probably clay bar first and then seal/polish with this product.
I like to put on one coat and then a couple of weeks later put on another coat. This lasts 5-6 months.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #7

I have not used any ceramic products yet but have a question for those that have...
Everyone talks / brags? about the great beading obtained. I have had issues where beads just left water deposits when air dried (if not dried by hand, etc).
Are others experiencing this?
Are most drying their cars / rigs?

When washing my dark hulled boat I sometimes will spray a final mist of diluted vinegar to prevent / reduce hard water spots asI can't dry the lower hull when in the water.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not a spray, but Meguiars has a new ceramic coating that applies very easily and seems to be holding up well after a few months.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote