Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm certainly no expert, a newbie that reads a lot and has learned to take some things with a grain of salt, we all have our opinion.

All new gas coaches are built on the Ford chassis (has been for a while), it is old technology but the only game in town right now. Wheel base length is your friend!

With that said the shorter wheel bases can be tweaked to ride pretty well, mine does right now.

We looked for over two years and took a few 45 minute plus test drives.

Every coach out there has it's problems with something. Every new coach will have a few issues, most just little issues that if your handy you may not even want to take the coach for repair, some larger issues may arise that require someone smarter than me.

The largest problem I see are the RV dealers, the two near me are terrible! This makes problems much worse than they should be.

Things we love about our 31UL;

We actually love the on demand water heater, once we learned our best way to operate it no problems, and I love hot water. We do no boondocking, our opinion could be changed if we did.

The layout for a small coach is excellent IMO, this sold us more than anything. Love the split bathroom, decent counter space around the sink, wife loves the window while she puts makeup on.

Love the two AC units, I would not consider a one AC unit coach.

Love having the slide toppers.

Love the new six speed transmission, tows well, I would never max out the tow rating on any vehicle, I try to stay at least 20% less than max.

Handling in tight areas is awesome.

Storage is excellent IMO, one of the best bedroom closet areas in a coach 33' in length or less. Has limited pass through storage underneath but at least has some.

I love the three TVs!

We love the hard wood looking floors, very easy to sweep up. Sand in carpet isn't fun to clean.

A biggie for us, the awning doesn't go over a slide (a slide would take up space under the awning), also love the entry door being at one end of the awning (doesn't split the outside living area).

Love the 12cf frig, I do wish it had an oven but we do grill mostly outside or eat out. I also love the accessory LP hook up for the grill, crab pot, etc.

The black tank, grey water tank and fresh water tank are all good sizes although we are hooked up 99.9% of the time.

I love the idea of the fiberglass roof vs. pvc or rubber. Still have to maintain around the openings.

Love the large front windshield being one piece!

Love the two year warranty! Just wish I had a good to great dealer nearby.

What could be better;

Longer wheel base or the added chassis features up front. I'm now fine with the way ours drives. I'm sure larger coaches or DP drive better but I no longer have any white knuckle moments. (I read that the 2017 31UL will have a longer wheelbase, it's not on the Jayco site yet so it's hard to confirm, you may want to look into this)

The mattress is junk IMO, my wife kind of likes it.... guess being 120lbs makes a difference.

We both think the couch is uncomfortable to be on for a couple hours. We actually asked about ordering or replacing the couch with movie recliners, we were told no it couldn't be changed. (now for 2017 this may be an option, I would still like to change ours)

The shower door could be different, it works I just don't like three panel glass shower doors.

The counter top in the bathroom could go back to being solid surface as well as the dinette table being a little upgraded.

Carpet could be thicker/more plush.

Sound deadening around the engine doghouse could be better.

With all this said I believe the pluses out weigh the minuses. There is no one perfect coach, you get about 80 to 90% of exactly what you want and go for it.

I also realize I'm not buying a 300k coach, I guess they must cut some corners on carpet, etc. so a buyer in my budget can get into it. Some things seem like the upgrade cost would be so slight Jayco should just do it.... like carpet, not much carpet in this coach!

If I had it to do again would I? You bet, love the layout, tamed the driving, and love the RV life style.

If you guys want more details from a newbie feel free to shoot me a PM.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

We had a 31ul for 6 months or so. Handled terribly. Had all kinds of issues. Traded it for a 35un. Handles much better, run 100 psi in the tires. Still has some handling issues with high winds, and tractor trailers, but nothing like the 31ul. Once we got the bugs worked out, it's been fine and Jayco has good customer service from the factory. Dealers not so good. Two year warranty a great plus.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote