Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #1

Question Converter Confusion

Hi all,

New to the forum and a bit confused over the converter operation in our travel trailer.

We have a 2021 Jayco Jay Feather 27 BHB. We ordered it with the 12volt fridge, solar and had the dealer install 2 AMG deep cycle batteries.

My understanding is the converter takes 120/240 volts and converts it to 12 volts to operate lights, the fridge etc. and also chargers the batteries. The solar would charge the batteries (to its ability/capacity) if we aren't plugged into shore power. Is that fairly accurate?

My concern or issue is the converter may not be working. I have noticed the solar controller reads 3/4 charge (light on the display) as low as 12.2 volts and charging in the morning even though we are on shore power.

Today we never reached a full charge. We were not in the camper for most of the day, no lights on and I see the soar is charging, but we are at 13.0 volts. My concern is losing the batteries if they aren't recovering/charging.

The dealer said they tested it and it's working fine, but I would expect the converter to keep up with lights and the fridge while plugged in.

Long term I want to add one of the battery monitors with a shunt, I am just not there yet.

Thanks in advance!
kmrofrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #2

Correct.....
Converter uses 120VAC INPUT and has 12VDC OUTPUT that supplies the RV DC System AND charges/Maintains batteries

questions:
Brand/Model of Converter
Brand/Model of 12V Fridge ----could be the reason your converter can not maintain battery voltage
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #3

Are you leaving the " Main ", " Use/Store ", " Battery Disconnect " switch on ?

The switch is near the door and connects the battery to the converter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Correct.....
Converter uses 120VAC INPUT and has 12VDC OUTPUT that supplies the RV DC System AND charges/Maintains batteries

questions:
Brand/Model of Converter
Brand/Model of 12V Fridge ----could be the reason your converter can not maintain battery voltage

Old-Biscuit - its as built by Jayco. According to what I have the converter is a PD4500 Series Power Controller. Model appears to be a 4560

AC Section 240/120 50 AMP Max.

DC Section 12 VDC 100 Amp Max - 12 Branch Circuits

Converter Section:
Input 105-130 Volts AC 1000 watts
Output 13.6 -14.6 VDC (14.6 VDC) 60 amps

The fridge is a Furrion 8 Cf. The label rates it at 11 amps. Considering everything else is LED (unless Maxair fans are running) I would expect the 60 amps to keep up no issue at all. Maybe it's just not enough?
Old 09-20-2022, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you leaving the " Main ", " Use/Store ", " Battery Disconnect " switch on ?

The switch is near the door and connects the battery to the converter.
twinboat,

Our switch is in a front compartment, it's never been off (ok I hit on accident once, LOL). We have this issue camping/using the camper. At home I keep it plugged in and between solar and shore power the display always shows full, 13.5-13.6. VDC
Old 09-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #6

So, it works at home but not at campgrounds ?
What are you doing different ?
Different cord, adaptor, surge protector, ......

Most have battery switchs right inside the side door, not in a compartment.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:

OP has a TT.
Battery Disconnects are typically next to battery/close by

Hey OP....
When you say problem is when camping are you plugged into an AC power source or Boondocking w/o any AC Power?

Plugged in at home and plugged in at campgrounds is the same.

That PD4560 can supply up to 60 amp demand...charging and demand from DC System
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
There is lots to know about batteries. For instance a fully charged battery is 12.7v. To fully charge your batteries your converter applies over 13v to the battery. So when you check the voltage meter and see 13+v you are not seeing the battery voltage, you are seeing the charge current being applied by the charging source. In fact, your battery could be dead but if you’re connected to shore power and your converter is charging you’ll still see 13+v on the meter.

To make things more confusing, if you unplug from shore power you might still see 13v on the meter because batteries hold a surface charge for a while after charging.

To test a battery’s voltage the battery must be at rest to get a true reading. Resting - no charging or drawing power from the battery - can take from an hour to many hours.

Another thing to realize, is that if your battery is at 12.2v it is ~50% discharged and even on shore power it can take many hours to return to 12.7v. Of course, a small amount of solar power could take even longer.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:

The only difference is at home no one is using lights, opening and closing the fridge, so demand is lower.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #10

You have a 60 amp converter, it should handle all of your loads up to 60 amps and the battery will supplement beyond that .

Turn off everything, including solar and plug in. Now test voltage at the batteries, should be showing 13.2 or more volts. Anything less is not charging. That 13+ volts should be there even with the batteries off.

Check the pair of reverse polarity fuses and 120 volts to the converter.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP has a TT.
Battery Disconnects are typically next to battery/close by

Hey OP....
When you say problem is when camping are you plugged into an AC power source or Boondocking w/o any AC Power?

Plugged in at home and plugged in at campgrounds is the same.

That PD4560 can supply up to 60 amp demand...charging and demand from DC System
Old-Biscuit I keep trying to reply and keep getting knocked off.

I’m shore power not boondocking.

I have to rule out:

1 - capacity, 60 amps should be enough

2 - intermittent connection or fault.

3 - bad or inaccurate solar controller

I’ll have to put a DVOM on the battery before sun up.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There is lots to know about batteries. For instance a fully charged battery is 12.7v. To fully charge your batteries your converter applies over 13v to the battery. So when you check the voltage meter and see 13+v you are not seeing the battery voltage, you are seeing the charge current being applied by the charging source. In fact, your battery could be dead but if you’re connected to shore power and your converter is charging you’ll still see 13+v on the meter.

To make things more confusing, if you unplug from shore power you might still see 13v on the meter because batteries hold a surface charge for a while after charging.

To test a battery’s voltage the battery must be at rest to get a true reading. Resting - no charging or drawing power from the battery - can take from an hour to many hours.

Another thing to realize, is that if your battery is at 12.2v it is ~50% discharged and even on shore power it can take many hours to return to 12.7v. Of course, a small amount of solar power could take even longer.
Thank you.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
You have a 60 amp converter, it should handle all of your loads up to 60 amps and the battery will supplement beyond that .

Turn off everything, including solar and plug in. Now test voltage at the batteries, should be showing 13.2 or more volts. Anything less is not charging. That 13+ volts should be there even with the batteries off.

Check the pair of reverse polarity fuses and 120 volts to the converter.
Thank you. That’s the plan. I will have to figure out how they wired the solar at Jayco, there’s no switch for it.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrofrano View Post
Thank you. That’s the plan. I will have to figure out how they wired the solar at Jayco, there’s no switch for it.
Test at night or cover the panel with a blanket.

Tags
converter