RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

Delamination

Hi i have a very well taking care of 08 jayco class c 31ss there is some slight waving in the fiberglass laminate on drivers side at the rear corner on both the side and back panel but confined to the corner area only it only starts to show when the sun is on it . I removed the trim insert and unscrewed every screw to look for rust on the screws and or water in there but nothing at all i also did the same on the gutter strip up above the affected area and same results. Im stumped. Do i just guess and say its not gonna spread and leave it or does someone have any ideas? Thanks mike.

Mikes belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of ways water gets in. Our Coachmen Mirada was made so that the metal molding at the bottom held water which wicked into the luan in the laminate and it rotted most of the way up. Be creative in your search. Check the roof. Is your fridge near there? Make sure the drain pipe is intact and leads to the outside. Where does the AC drain?

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

Water travels in some unexpected ways. I've done some extensive delamination repairs, and one thing I can tell you is that if you are seeing delamination, water got in there.

There are many threads here talking about how to remedy the delamination. It's a bit of a process, but if it hasn't gotten too bad, repairing it now shouldn't be too difficult.

Regardless of the repair, you definitely will want to stop the water intrusion, having ripped apart several delamination issues now, I have found the visible area to generally be the tip of the iceberg.

I highly recommend Eternabond tape for seams. I use Sikaflex 505UV for my lap joints; it holds up far better than Dicor in my experience.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #4

Thanks, i will further investigate. theres nothing on the roof in that area tho so maybe i should start by removing the rear corner moulding.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #5

Just a follow up on my delamination i only had the RV for a year and when i purchased it the dealer did a seam reseal on the roof with outer things as a prep. I would bet that the rear corner moulding where it meets the roof was already leaking and it got covered up with new sealant. Making it hard for me to find where the leak originated .......🤔 and also has anyone had a leak in the overhead cab area? I removed the vinyl strip at the gutter area to expose the screws and it looks like water is able to pool in there when it rains heavy and possibly find its way in the screw holes over the cab. Some of the screws were loose. Has anyone seen this before??? Thanks, mike
Old 05-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Makes sense.The dealer sealed all areas that sealed like they could be a problem. Most of us do that. He/she may have not realized it was a problem or hoped it wasn't and caulked.

That area over the cab is probably the one most likely place for trouble on a C. The stresses of holding it out there with the many places to seal are asking for it. You really want to make sure that you do everything you can to keep it sealed. Problems include structural integrity and frame damage. Lots of folks here have class C's and can advise on how to keep them dry inside.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

Thanks for your valued opinion.