Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

First Blush at the Aspire

So I finally got a chance to see and drive the Aspire. The one I drove is a 2012 which is surprisingly on a Freightliner chassis. Apparently it was one of the last ones to come with a Freightliner instead of a Spartan.

The interior is very nice, but for those of us with a family, it was going to be very impractical. We travel with our twin girls who will be 15 shortly and sometimes we also bring our in-laws. Our current Berkshire is a bunk model which has worked out well, but now the twins are getting to a point where they don't like the bunks. The Aspire had the wrap around dinette which leaves it with a jackknife sofa which is very short and a hide-a-bed which is very small. There is no way I could put both girls on the fold out bed without they hurting each other and they are both too tall for the jackknife. We would need to full queen hide-a-bed which would mean that we would lose the dinette. Hopefully in the '13 models there will be something that would work for someone like us.

Exterior was nice with perfect fit on the bay doors and slides. The bay doors do seem to be very large when compared to the Berkshire. Driving the Aspire was nicer than driving the Berkshire. I have heard others rave about the tag axle and yes, there is a big difference in ride with the tag.

Overall, would I go for the Entegra in the future? Yes, if we can either wait until the kids don't go with us anymore or if they change the layout to one that will accomodate sleeping five or six adults. I was very impressed with what you get for the $$$ involved.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The interior is very nice, but for those of us with a family, it was going to be very impractical.
It might be more practical if you weren't strying to stuff your family tree into the coach. Based on what you need, I bet 80+ percent of the coaches on the market wont work for you.

My family fits just fine
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
It might be more practical if you weren't strying to stuff your family tree into the coach. Based on what you need, I bet 80+ percent of the coaches on the market wont work for you.

My family fits just fine

I guess it does sound like that, doesn't it? My in-laws are getting up in years but act even older than they are. To keep peace we sometimes take them along with my twins. You are correct that most coaches do not work when you're trying to take the Brady Bunch cross country. There are various bunk models that do work out, but I like the tag and our time in a bunk model is beginning to get short. For us the idea of sleeping six, even if one is on the floor in a sleeping bag is what we need to continue to travel the way we do now. The Entegra is a great unit and I am very impressed with it, particularly when I compare it to others at that same price point. Luckily we don't need to do anything any differently for a while so I'll keep on looking at what Entegra has to offer.

Correction on two things. One is that I should have said my "extended family" when we take the in-laws. It is always interesting when they come because they both are a little quirky, but hey, we all have our weirdness in one way or another. Second correction is that the Jackknife couch is not that short. The salesman that showed it to me neglected to turn down the third cushion on the couch. I wondered why a really nice coach would have a jackknife bed that would only fit a little person.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

I "thought" that you could get the queen hide bed with the table and chairs option instead of the booth, is that not correct?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
I "thought" that you could get the queen hide bed with the table and chairs option instead of the booth, is that not correct?
Ann I think you are correct. We were thinking it would work better for us with the wrap around booth and the queen bed. It appears that floorplan is available in the Anthem, but not the Aspire.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Ann I think you are correct. We were thinking it would work better for us with the wrap around booth and the queen bed. It appears that floorplan is available in the Anthem, but not the Aspire.
To get the queen bed, you have to get the Table and chairs. They don't have an option to keep the wrap around booth. But the Table and chairs option give a lot more storage, which for most travelers is a must. Especially for us.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Where do you increase storage itch a table and chairs? With the booth you get the drawers under both seats and the storage with doors in the middle under the table. Just wondering.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

we have a rule of thumb and that is: Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, and sleeps 2. we have the Anthem 2012 42RBQ....same rules we lived by when be had a 30' trailer that slept 6.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #9

What type of bed does the PS couch make into on the Anthem ?
Steve HCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve HCI View Post
What type of bed does the PS couch make into on the Anthem ?
it makes into a pull out twin size air mattress bed. I'm told it is comfortable by my 35 yr old daughter who has slept on it.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #11

In our 2012 Aspire 40DRQ the air mattress sofa is more like a queen sized bed. My 24 year old daughter slept on it for two weeks during our recent Disney trip and loved it. Our 21 year old daughter was on the jackknife bed and was ok, but would have preferred the air mattress. They were supposed to switch midway through the trip but that never happened... Our king size sleep number was more comfortable than our sleep number at home!
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #12

Our anthem is same as rvguy2. Queen air matress but smaller jackknife. The queen size air matress is on driver side.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

They increased the size of the buffet to be more like the tiffen or american coaches and added a storage cabinet between the table and sofa.
We like the chairs vs. booth Plus the table extends out to acomodate the 2 extra chairs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00115-20111105-0925.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	17510  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #14

According to the dealer, the jackknife can be taken out and replaced with a factory queen hide-a-bed and still keep the booth. They were going to see what the cost would be and then let me know. Apparently this is not an uncommon request. Now if we have a really good tax season that Aspire may be a reality.