Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I've never used a tankless WH so can't comment on that. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #16

Tankless Water Heater

I picked up my 2018 Seneca a few months ago, and haven't been able to check it out yet. While searching for a used Seneca, I hired a RV Tech to check out a unit I was close to buying. He told me that he spends most of his time replacing tankless units with regular RV water heaters. I have a tankless at home, with no problems. But, you do have to wait for the hot water. Could be a problem when dry camping.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the Truma Aquago tankless in our coach and love it. 2 years (almost) and it has worked very well. Our previous trailer had a 6 gallon heater and my wife made sure to use every drop of it before I could shower, not an issue any more. It is very efficient so propane consumption had not been an issue.
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomden2 View Post
I picked up my 2018 Seneca a few months ago, and haven't been able to check it out yet. While searching for a used Seneca, I hired a RV Tech to check out a unit I was close to buying. He told me that he spends most of his time replacing tankless units with regular RV water heaters. I have a tankless at home, with no problems. But, you do have to wait for the hot water. Could be a problem when dry camping.
I havent dry camped yet, but do see the point that seems like you do have to wait longer to get hot water with tankless. Guess it comes down to priorities/preferences.
LDK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #19

When the RV tankless heaters first appeared, they were iffy to say the least, with all sorts of complaints about uneven water heat and delivery. In the last year or two, those problems seem to have been solved, at least judging from the comments on various forums.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thank You

I am grateful to all who replied to my plea. It was very helpful. I have made myself nuts, even timed my regular S & B shower to see how long I actual take. under 6 min. Without turning water off.

After going back and forth have decided to start out with 10 gal tank WH. My husband is contractor so if we find we are disappointed later he can install tankless. It seems there is a huge amount of info out there on how to.

Our deciding factor was the extra reserve amount of water 10 gallons we would have on board and the reviews are very 50/50 in both camps. We daily are pretty water conserving any way including hotwater with all these drought years... so gonna stay with what we got until we have enough experience to feel if we need the upgrade.

Appreciate the welcoming greetings.

Picking up our new very BIG baby Wed!
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVing View Post
Our deciding factor was the extra reserve amount of water 10 gallons we would have on board and the reviews are very 50/50 in both camps.
You can't really look at the water in the water heater as a 10 gallon "extra reserve amount". There is no way to get the water out of the water heater tank unless you remove the drain plug and catch it in a bucket.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #22

An endless supply of hot water is dependent on an endless supply of cold water to heat and a grey water tank to put it. I have a 10 gallon water heater with oth electric and propane. The electric comes on at a lower temperature thereby doing most of the work heating it and keeping it hot assuming you are plugged in. The propane acts like a booster giving a quicker recovery and almost continuous hot water. Never ran out, but we do quick rinses because of the tank limitations.
edgesbyrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Congratulations on your new rig. I am late to this post but will throw in my 2 cents anyway. Our 2016 Precept 35S came with Girard’s newest version and it was a pita. It would work great one time and not at all the next. Tried everyone’s suggestions without consistent success. It was very susceptible to low water pressure or reduced flow. Finally convinced Jayco to replace it with the Truma Aquago Comfort model and our hot water system is now a pleasurable experience. Works great in all the same CG’s where the Girard would not. It only runs off of propane but that is not a concern for us. In over 30 years of owning TT’s we always had the 6 gallon tanks so for you to have a 10 gallon tank should be even better plus you can operate it on either gas or electric. If you ever decide to go tankless just make sure you get the Truma. You will not be disappointed.
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, reg 10 gallon help, tank, tankless, water, water heater