RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #1

Jayco 242BHS Rear axle issue

Greetings,
I bought my first TT a little over a month ago. The trailer has less than 800 miles on it so far. When we first brought it home i noticed the rear axle seemed to have some very negative camber. I honestly thought it was just the way the trailer was sitting on my driveway. Long story short my rear axle has over 3 1/2 total degrees of negative camber. The rear tires are wearing at an alarming rate. I contacted my selling dealer. They had me take pictures and have submitted a warranty claim. Supposedly I have a new axle being shipped to them for replacement.
My questions are:
Whatís normal camber for a solid rear axle? The front axle has about 1 3/4 total degrees of negative camber. The tires seem to be wearing evenly but I would have expected closer to 0 degrees
Iíd like them to replace the rear tires. I donít think I should have to pay for them. Is this a dealer resolved issue or should I be going after Jayco?
Regards
Craig
Plum crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

I have just recently read that it might be best to contact Jayco first prior to warranty claims.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:43 AM   #3

Cracking noises

We just picked up our first RV a 28.5 Jayco fifth wheel. Took it to an empty parking lot to practice backing . We noticed some pretty loud cracking sounds coming from the the wheels or axles. Anyone experience this also?
Bdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum crazy View Post
Greetings,
I contacted my selling dealer. They had me take pictures and have submitted a warranty claim. Supposedly I have a new axle being shipped to them for replacement.
The tires seem to be wearing evenly but I would have expected closer to 0 degrees
Iíd like them to replace the rear tires. I donít think I should have to pay for them. Is this a dealer resolved issue or should I be going after Jayco?
You can try contacting Jayco to see if the dealer started your claim and also stay in contact with your dealer on the status.

If the tires have even wear my guess is they won't be replaced.
Good luck!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #5

The sound may be coming from your brakes. I have heard noise coming from wheels when backing. Unplug the rv and check if the sound stops.
rvfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Jayco and warranty for axles

Got back last week form traveling to Yellowstone. During my travels with by 2018 Whitehawk 27 RB, On 10/01/20 I had to stop on Interstate 81 near Rawlins Wyoming only to discover that I have two broken leaf spring brackets on my rear axle system and two affected tires on the left side. Luckily I did not have a life threatening issue except for being broken down on a very busy interstate. Had to have the brackets rewelded back on. Submitted the cost to Jayco as I am still under warranty. They in turn deflected the cost to BAL, the frame manufacturer eight days ago. Still waiting for a reply.

Seven days later, I stopped again in Illinois with a disintegrated spindle / axle on the front axle system!. Jayco then deflected this issue to LCI, the axle manufacturer Its taken until today to have a new axle delivered to the machine shop in Illinois who is doing the repair. Don't know if Jayco / LCI came into agreement with the installation labor cost yet. LCI only offered a 1 hour labor payment.

Bottom line for me is that Jayco delflects any issues to the manufacturers that supplied their parts to the Jayco Units. I told Jayco that I bought a Jayco Unit and not a BAL or LCI unit. Jayco's attitude is that its a manufacturer problem and not a Jayco problem even though they built and sold the TT under the Jayco Brand.

Tags
jayco