Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Granite Ridge (GreyHawk) - OEM converter model/brand?

Anyone know the model of the OEM converter (battery charger) - We're charging to about 13.6v when plugged in... The house battery (prior owner) is cooked and the battery box shows signs of lots of venting/acid...

I'll go look for it in a while - I hear it's either under the bed or under the fridge..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Our Jaycos used Todd Engineering converters, but the company went defunct around 2000 or so. I replaced the failed Todd Engineering converter in my 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS with a Progressive Dynamics 9155 with the Charge Wizard (makes it a 4 stage charger - boost, normal, float and desulfation modes) under the Jayco 2+5 warranty and never had another problem. Our current 5th wheel (see signature) came with the Progressive Dynamics 9180 to which I added the Charge Wizard, and our original 6V batteries lasted 8 years.

I don't know what Jayco went to after Todd Engineering, but if you choose to (or have to) replace your converter, I'd highly recommend a Progressive Dynamics smart converter/charger for your consideration.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the recommendations, Rusty... How difficult to replace are they?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quite simple, in my case. I had a 120VAC grounded plug for power in (standard 3 prong 120VAC 15 amp plug) and 2 wires (+ and - 12VDC) for power out to the batteries. If yours is integral with a 120VAC and/or 12VDC power distribution center, it's more complex, but if it's just a pure converter/charger, there's not much to it. You'll have to find out what you have now and go from there.

The current Progressive Dynamics 92XX series (XX represents the maximum DC amperage) has the Charge Wizard function built in, but there's still a "dongle" available for next to nothing that displays the mode function in which the converter is operating and allows manual override of the charger mode function if desired.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like it's an IOTA DLS-45. Under the bed.
Apparently the DLS-45 is a pretty good voltage provider, but a single stage charger. It can either charger 13.6v or 14.2v. It's either on or off, which in combination with the fact that my push-to-disconnect seems to be broken is probably why batteries have fried on this thing for previous owners...

Some good news though, Apparently IOTA offers a plug in option to turn this thing into a smart-charger... See: IQ Smart Charger for DLS Series Battery Chargers from IOTA Engineering

Costs $25. Can't beat that for easy of conversion to smart charger...

Tags
converter