RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
JDT

Jayco Pinnacle 32RTLS

A little background. We are considering a change to something lighter that is a better match weight wise for our new F350 single rear wheel. We have been towing with a dually for quite a while but I just did not like driving it as my daily driver. We are long retired and most years spend 5 weeks at 8000 feet in the Colorado Rockies in September and early October, 2 weeks in Branson in November for our last trip of the year and maybe several 2 or 3 week trips during the rest of our travel season. Last year we had snow in the Rockies, a 14 degree morning in Branson and 100 degree heat on a trip in the summer.

Jayco was not even on our list until we looked at the Pinnacle. It checked all the wife's boxes for storage in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. All the others we looked at hit on some areas but missed on others. The Pinnacle seemed to have a better fit and finish than others in that price category. There are some changes this year such as the Equalizer hydraulic leveling system which I hope would be a good thing.

I have several concerns that may not get an answer but will ask. First, with our travel habits is it easy to cool, heat and maintain the temperature? Second, disc brakes are not an option but the salesman bragged about the stopping power of the over sized (?) drum brakes. Good or bad? Third, with a 15,500 GVWR and around 2700 pounds of payload it is lighter in the capacities than some other brands. I understand Jayco now uses Dexter axles and brakes, which I've had before and they were fine. I now have MorRyde IS which is not a fair comparison but want something that will handle 5K or so miles per year. I am impressed with the Goodyear Endurance tires. I have them on my boat trailer and they are well made. Any comments on the suspension and brakes?

Lastly, my biggest concern is with the slide system. We have a hydraulic system in the Excel which has been trouble free but I understand Jayco uses an electric motor system. I would hope they wouldn't use that system if it didn't work well. Any basis for my concern?

Sorry to be so long but this will probably be our last fifth wheel purchase and I want to get it right. Any other comments would be appreciated.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

Let me try to answer some of your concerns. We own a 32 RLTS Pinnacle 2019, purchased last June. This is my 3rd fifth wheel, and first Jayco. The suspension is quite smooth. I never had disk brakes, so for us It is hard to compare, but yes they are quite effective, keeping in mind that we weigh 14500 lb loaded.
Slides: never had hydraulic ones, never had any issues. On our Pinnacle I find that they operate very nicely and better than ou previous FW.
What we like from this fifth wheel:
- the ride: the MorRyde pin is great...start and stop: no noise, and very smooth.
- Comfort: It was No 1 on our wish list. The heat pump AC is great, noiseless, and cool or heat, our FW remains comfortable. We did not experience extreme heat, but we did have cooler temp (30-40) the propane heater did the job and did not have to run so often, for us this is a sign of good insulation.
- Space inside is perfect for us, except for the kitchen cabinet that my wife find a little small vs our previous FW, but we were able to place all our stuff.

Just coming from the Montreal RV show. There is minimal change on the 2020 Pinnacles.

Conclusion: we are very happy with ou Pinnacle. Probably our last fifth wheel as well. We had some minor repairs in our first year. We were debating between Solitude 310 GK and this one. We have no regret, and still think that the Pinnacle is a slightly better built fifth wheel.

Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
JDT

Thanks, I was beginning to think no one would answer which may be a good thing. Many posts are about complaints or problems so I'm hoping the slowness means there isn't much to complain about. We have about decided that if we can sell our Excel we will focus on the Pinnacle. Using your fully loaded weight vs my Excel's I would loose about 2000 pounds. I would like that.

Our travel distances and frequencies are reducing from years past so I'm thinking the Pinnacle will work for our needs. I wish they had one in the 38 foot range but the 32RTLS is the only one under 40 feet. The park we use in Colorado has a 38 foot length limit and our rv garage at home limits us to the shorter versions.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #4

Just a bit more background about our decision. We are camping in Florida during 2-3 months. But we are not done with our road trips: western USA, Utah National parks etc. We wanted a 35-36 feet, not 40. This Pinnacle model fits perfectly for road trip and long stay in one campsite. In the Jayco survey that I filled after purchasing my Pinnacle, I did mention that the FW is 1 foot to short...in my opinion 38 feet would be just to long.
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco