Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #1

Question Jayco Slideouts When Retracted

Hey all,

I've done some forum searching and I can't seem to find the answer to what I'm going to ask. It could be that I just don't know how to ask.

So, today when we were looking our RV over (just bought a 2020 Jayco 24MBH) we retracted the slide and I noticed that the slide isn't flat/level with the floor when retracted. Is this a normal feature? Like, when you step on the floor it springs and is about 3-4 inches off the ground. I have plenty of room to walk around inside the rig with the slide in, but I don't know if the slide being angled like that is right.

Is this a "normal" attribute of a retracted slide out?

-R
Ryan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
Hey all,

I've done some forum searching and I can't seem to find the answer to what I'm going to ask. It could be that I just don't know how to ask.

So, today when we were looking our RV over (just bought a 2020 Jayco 24MBH) we retracted the slide and I noticed that the slide isn't flat/level with the floor when retracted. Is this a normal feature? Like, when you step on the floor it springs and is about 3-4 inches off the ground. I have plenty of room to walk around inside the rig with the slide in, but I don't know if the slide being angled like that is right.

Is this a "normal" attribute of a retracted slide out?

-R

It must rise above the floor it is resting above when retracted. Normal operation.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
It must rise above the floor it is resting above when retracted. Normal operation.
Ah, I was thinking that was the case. Is it okay to store things on the slide area when getting ready for travel? Like a couple totes or gear?
Old 11-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide

3-4 inches is NOT normal when retracted. 1-2 inches IS normal.
Either you or whom ever you bought it from can adjust the slide with a couple of bolts out on the end of the slide rails. They are down under the slide at the end of the rails.
Also I would check and make sure the rails are correctly bolted to the coach itself. They could be loose or even missing a few. Something is wrong.
Does the slide fit up tight to the coach ? At BOTH the top and bottom, front AND rear ? If not, that's your first clue that the whole slide needs to be adjusted.
If you just bought the unit, you should take it back and have them adjust it properly, AND demonstrate to you how it works.............

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
3-4 inches is NOT normal when retracted. 1-2 inches IS normal.
Either you or whom ever you bought it from can adjust the slide with a couple of bolts out on the end of the slide rails. They are down under the slide at the end of the rails.
Also I would check and make sure the rails are correctly bolted to the coach itself. They could be loose or even missing a few. Something is wrong.
Does the slide fit up tight to the coach ? At BOTH the top and bottom, front AND rear ? If not, that's your first clue that the whole slide needs to be adjusted.
If you just bought the unit, you should take it back and have them adjust it properly, AND demonstrate to you how it works.............

Mike in Colorado
Thanks Mike, I'll get out there and measure the height that it comes into the interior to be sure. I may have been over estimating the height as it was getting dark. I'll post back here and let you know, and if it is as you've mentioned I'll bark at the dealership and see what they can do.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
I'll post back here and let you know.
Any news? How did your situation turn out?
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #7

If it fits tight a d sealed all around when retracted I would leave it alone.
I think some people support the inside edge when it's retracted (a piece of wood) and they wish to walk on or carry things on it.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is normal for the floor to rise up and not be level on a flush floor slide when retracted. Most manufacturers recommend to NOT walk on the slide floor when retracted. I have heard of a few folks that made some shim blocks to place under the edge of the floor when retracted to keep it from bowing. The shim blocks would be my recommendation if you have to walk on the floor. Just remove them before putting the slide out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
Any news? How did your situation turn out?
Sorry for the late late late response. Work and School have occupied a lot of time lately.

Things look okay. I had them look at it and they extended it and retracted it. They didn't find anything wrong. They suspect that because they were opening/closing it using a portable battery pack and not the batteries/truck power it just didn't have the oomph to snug it in tight. I looked at it Sunday and it was about 2in up or so. Thanks for checking in!
Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It is normal for the floor to rise up and not be level on a flush floor slide when retracted. Most manufacturers recommend to NOT walk on the slide floor when retracted. I have heard of a few folks that made some shim blocks to place under the edge of the floor when retracted to keep it from bowing. The shim blocks would be my recommendation if you have to walk on the floor. Just remove them before putting the slide out.

Ken
Like, shimming on the inside once it's retracted? Seems like an interesting idea and I might have to look into that. There may be some instances in the future where we will not be able to put the slide out and that could be useful.

Tags
jayco, slide, slideout