Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
...Dealers make a good bit of money on accessories purchased in their store, while the customer is waiting. Heck, the last time we went in to schedule some repairs, we ended up buying a new motorhome! lol
Exactly! This goes back to the point I made about it being short sighted on the part of any dealer refusing to do warranty work.

As for being reimbursed "below cost" for warranty repairs, I doubt that is the case. I suspect it is below "retail", however.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #86

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
As for being reimbursed "below cost" for warranty repairs, I doubt that is the case. I suspect it is below "retail", however.
It's probably "reasonable and customary" like your health insurance. You know how that works out.

Seriously though, if it's below retail and the dealer has ANY other business in the service bay, bringing in warranty work is essentially costing that dealer money. That's exactly why they won't touch warranty work from another dealer or at best - put it at the back of the line.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #87

One also has to figure in that most dealers these days are some form of corporation. "Do the right thing" was replaced by "maximize shareholder value" some time ago. Management that loses track of that can easily be looking for a new job.

When a business is run by the spread sheet it may come down to it's cheaper to lay the crew off when the season ends than it is to pay them to do warranty work sitting in the lot. That might explain a lot of other issues around getting warranty work done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Had no issues with warranty work at our dealer. In fact the tech identified additional defects while fixing the ones we had listed.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Exactly! RV dealers should be held to the same requirements as car dealers. So people would be ok with a car dealer telling you they won't work on your brand XYZ because you didn't buy it from them? That's bull!

I don't think very many RV buyers want to hang around near the RV dealer where he bought the RV... waiting for something to fail... so that dealer he bought it from can/wil fix it.

Me thinks most people who buy a RV expect to USE IT... and expect to have things FIXED whenever and wherever they break and need to be fixed.

Unfortunately that is often to much to expect.

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

I don't think very many RV buyers want to hang around near the RV dealer where he bought the RV... waiting for something to fail... so that dealer he bought it from can/wil fix it.

Me thinks most people who buy a RV expect to USE IT... and expect to have things FIXED whenever and wherever they break and need to be fixed.

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
I agree with not hanging around. The issue I had was when I called the local dealer they said they were backed up and could not take us in to a couple months. Then they wanted it left. Did not give any information how long it would be there. Called the dealer and had an appointment for two weeks later. Took a leisurely drive down on new roads and a couple days later was on the road.

A lot of clear thinking posters on the thread have made some really good points about the dealers trying to get the biggest return on their effort. Makes good business sense.

Those of us though that want our rigs serviced want it sooner rather than later. However IMO we would do the same as the dealers if we owned the business.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Exactly! This goes back to the point I made about it being short sighted on the part of any dealer refusing to do warranty work.

I can't speak for any other dealer, but we love it. Warranty pays the same labor rate as a customer. At our dealership, it is 120 an hour.

Warranty can be a hassle in that they remind me of a insurance company. Deny at first, then try to lowball on hours to fix the problem. Just like an insurance company, some are better than others.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Most owners probably do not travel away from their home territory more than a few weeks a year.

It does point out the problem for full timers who are willing to drive a couple thousand miles out of their normal path to get the best deal. They would be a lot better off if they saved the fuel cost and picked a dealer in their normal travel loop. That way they would have a "home dealer" so to speak.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Most owners probably do not travel away from their home territory more than a few weeks a year.

It does point out the problem for full timers who are willing to drive a couple thousand miles out of their normal path to get the best deal. They would be a lot better off if they saved the fuel cost and picked a dealer in their normal travel loop. That way they would have a "home dealer" so to speak.
nothermark
What is a "normal travel loop" for a RVer?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #94

I can understand one reason dealers wouldn't want to work on models they don't sell. For example the dealer closest to me sells coachmen, but not the model I have. So the techs may not be familiar with how my model is built in order to perform repairs correctly.

However, they have been "nice" and done 2 warranty repairs for me anyway. They both were simple component swaps (AC unit, Converter) that are common to almost all RVs, and definitely common with the other Coachmen models they do sell.

Just this week I did make the drive to the selling dealer to address my remaining punch list items. I felt it was the selling dealer's responsibility to do so, and didn't want to wear out my welcome at the dealer close to me.

I frankly will feel a bit relieved when this warranty is up so I don't have to deal with it at all.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I can't speak for any other dealer, but we love it. Warranty pays the same labor rate as a customer. At our dealership, it is 120 an hour.

Warranty can be a hassle in that they remind me of a insurance company. Deny at first, then try to lowball on hours to fix the problem. Just like an insurance company, some are better than others.
I'll bet the warranty work pays fewer hours than the same repair done for a retail customer even though it's at the same labor rate. This is the formula used by most manufacturers, including truck and automobile manufacturers.

Many years ago consumer groups brought class action suits against truck and automobile manufacturers claiming it was unfair that retail customers were paying a different labor rate than manufacturers. When all was settled out the consumer groups won, so now all repairs done on autos and trucks are billed at the same rates regardless of who pays the bill.

However in response to having to pay the same hourly rate the manufacturers cut the labor hours paid to the dealers for warranty repairs. Their claim was that since the vehicles were new and the dealers had factory technical support it should take less time to complete the same repair on a vehicle under warranty than it does to make that repair on an older vehicle. This time the manufacturers won. Typically today the manufacturers pay 60% of the time charged for the same repairs done for retail customers.

Most RV manufacturers have adopted the same policies as the auto and truck manufacturers when it comes to paying for warranty repairs. The policies have been tested in court and have been determined to be valid. There's little chance the policies will be challenged since they have been in place for over 30 years.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Local Dealer Won't Work on Other Dealer RV

We have found that some manufacturers are very stingy when it comes to hours, and some are overly generous. One company may give 10 hours to replace the underbelly of a fifth wheel and another may give 20 hours.

Flat rate manuals for each company also reflect the time one company is willing to pay vs another.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
We have found that some manufacturers are very stingy when it comes to hours, and some are overly generous. One company may give 10 hours to replace the underbelly of a fifth wheel and another may give 20 hours.
Part of that revolves around how many units the manufacturer thinks will need the procedure, and how many dollars it will ultimately cost the manufacturer to remedy the problem.

Case and point is the diesel engine fiasco GM encountered when they chose to try to adapt a gasoline engine block for diesel operation in the early 1980's. In case you're not familiar with the problem GM decided to adapt the 350 cu. in. gasoline engine block for use in the same size diesel engine in the Buick, Oldsmobile, and Chevrolet, and GMC light truck lines in the early 1980's.

It didn't take long to find out in many cases the block couldn't handle the additional strain placed on it by the higher compression. When the problems first started to become apparent GM was paying 22 hours to remove the engine and replace it with a new "improved" factory short block. As the problem grew they reduced the time to 15 hours with the justification that with the number of units affected the technicians should be fully aware of how to do the procedure and therefore it should take less time to complete.

As the problem grew to an even more severe level GM once again reduced the labor time to 11 hours claiming they could no longer afford to pay the higher labor time. In this case the labor time paid to the dealer had nothing to do with the actual time it took to complete the procedure. It was more an effort to limit the dollar outlay that could affect the bottom line and eventually stock prices.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Certainly makes sense that as the technician/mechanic does the procedure more and more, they should become more proficient.

As to some of the other issues presented on this thread. We place a priority on customers who bought directly from us. We work all the time on units bought at other dealerships, but they are a lower priority.

It shouldn't matter if the dealer sells a particular model or not. You are either a certified repair shop or not. These things are pretty much all the same in regards to the components used to put them together.

Tags
dealer