Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

New Fifth Wheel Eagle vs Eagle HT

Visited a dealer yesterday to look at new 5th wheel units on the lot. Interested in smaller units (35 ft or less). Disappointed in the lack of selection available. There were no "regular" Eagle units within the desired length and only two floorplans in Eagle HT. Can anyone share their knowledge with Eagle vs Eagle HT models pertaining to build quality and longevity. The weight difference between the two is not a concern for me. I'm much more interested in avoiding a purchase I'll be disappointed in later due to cost cutting and weight saving measures.
Thanks for your help.
markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

The Eagle HT's caught my eye and will be picking one up this coming week. I'm coming from a FR TT, and at least compared to that, the build quality seems quite good. From what I've read, the HT's are probably about the same quality, but the weight is kept done by way of the length, the shorter roof, less storage, typical camper refer and things like that. The I beams of the frame are probably lesser than that of a 40' Eagle, but it's a smaller unit anyway. I've scoured the web from end to end, and people that have the HT's seem to be pleased with them.

I'll let you know how it goes with my unit. Like you, I wanted a smaller fifth wheel. The offerings out there are slim. FR and keystone had a couple similar offering to what I'm going with, but I preferred what I saw in the Jayco.
Txloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I read in your thread that you are interested in an Eagle, but I really hope you have done your shopping so your money is well-spend for the long-term. Everyone is a bit different, which is why we all don't drive Dodges, so I acknowledge that.
Before you lay down big $$ , please do yourself a favor and have a look at Outdoors RV products, which are comparable to Northwood's Nash, Arctic Fox etc. On closer investigation, I think you will see that they are a better bang for the buck, especially in upper quality, but they also may not have the floorplan you want.
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
I read in your thread that you are interested in an Eagle, but I really hope you have done your shopping so your money is well-spend for the long-term. Everyone is a bit different, which is why we all don't drive Dodges, so I acknowledge that.
Before you lay down big $$ , please do yourself a favor and have a look at Outdoors RV products, which are comparable to Northwood's Nash, Arctic Fox etc. On closer investigation, I think you will see that they are a better bang for the buck, especially in upper quality, but they also may not have the floorplan you want.
Altaclipper, thanks for your input. I have trolled this forum enough to conclude you are probably right based on other opinions. Unfortunately there is not dealer within reasonable distance for service needs. I don't mind driving 4 plus hours (one way) to visit and possibly purchase a unit, but if the unit requires frequent attention during the warranty period, it would be quite troublesome and time consuming.
markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

You might be able to talk to a local dealer you trust and they might be able to do the warranty work for you. I bought my Eagle HT and had it delivered. Before I ordered it I spoke with a dealer here and they said they would do all the work if I wanted. Most dealers will take Jayco's when people trade them in so they are usually willing to work on them since they are willing to sell used ones. It's worth a shot if you find a brand you really like and all they can do is say no. If they do then your back to where you are now but in my opinion it's worth asking around
whatnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

You did not mention your family. Just another point to consider when making your purchase of a 5th wheel, or any TT for that matter.
Jamer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #7

Owned 2 Jayco FW's. One Eagle HT 26.5BHS and and now an Eagle 345 BHTS. I would never go back to a HT unit. The difference is night and day in build, insulation, fit, finish, and materials. Second, the HT units are typically too heavy "wet" and loaded for a light duty truck. They sit too low for a reasonable tow vehicle- Heavy Duty 3/4 or 1 Ton without modification.
Ourvail is offline   Reply With Quote